Is Mayfield a first rounder???

Iamcanadian

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

The best empirical is what I have seen.

Rosen is the best pure passer I have seen; Darnold is the best prospect I have seen.

Weeden was regarded as a great pure passer. Kizer was the #1 overall prospect at some point last year.

Mayfield is just the best football player in the NCAA. It's not close. He's alone on Tier 1, Rosen and Darnold are Tier 2 for me. The numbers back it up, and they don't count his passion to not only win, but to win and rub your nose in your loss. I haven't ever loved a QB this much going into the draft.

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’ll pass on Baker. Browns have a poor track record with the unconventional and characters with red flags. I’ll let another team take that swing high in the draft. 

For what it is worth, I absolutely love Mayfield, but Darnold ceiling is much higher and IMO, he is the clear #1 QB available this year's draft, followed by Rosen and Jackson and then Mayfield. All 4 have a solid shot to be truly franchise QB's, but Darnold has a shot to be among the greats and we would be idiots to pass on him.

11 minutes ago, Iamcanadian said:

For what it is worth, I absolutely love Mayfield, but Darnold ceiling is much higher and IMO, he is the clear #1 QB available this year's draft, followed by Rosen and Jackson and then Mayfield. All 4 have a solid shot to be truly franchise QB's, but Darnold has a shot to be among the greats and we would be idiots to pass on him.

Agreed. Have to take him. It would be totally Browns of them to pass. They should already have their minds made up on this one. 

I like Baker. There's some hesitation because of the offense he plays in, his size, the easy comparisons that can be made to busts. But then there's also room for comparison to great players like Wilson. He's accurate, he's got nice mechanics, he makes the plays that are drawn up for him, he is tough and he is an awesome leader. Good arm, not great. He's also the best player in college football, like DeShaun Watson was. Like Johnny Manziel was. So that doesn't necessarily mean much.

All that being said, if we pass on Sam Darnold for him, I give up.

On 12/4/2017 at 12:30 AM, NateDawg said:

I’ll pass on Baker. Browns have a poor track record with the unconventional and characters with red flags. I’ll let another team take that swing high in the draft. 

The difference with Mayfield is that he went out and got what he wanted. A two time walk on QB so he shouldn't have that entitled aspect that we seen in the past. He is a little mouthy but it hasn't hurt his game.

That said, I haven't really looked at any of the quarterbacks yet as far as trying to determine if they will have success in the NFL and I may not ever, I'm sort of where MBTL was a couple years ago where I have been wrong so much I don't know if I even trust me anymore. Just leave it up to others and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

Mayfield = Alex Smith/Johnny Manziel with a better arm. Who disagrees? 

I'm finding it hard to judge him with certainty and form a strong belief as to what kind of success he will have in the league. Mainly because of the offense he's in and the large window throws with little pressure that it offers. I'm not really bothered by the character questions. 

I would say this though. He's accurate, he has a good arm. Aside from the scheme he's in, there isn't really anything he shows that one can jump on and say he shouldn't make a good pro. Except for one thing... 

And I do believe if he was 6'3, people would feel a lot more comfortable about putting him in with Darnold and Rosen. Even me, to be honest. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't something I took into account. There are a couple of obvious success story QBs of similar height in the NFL right now, but overall there's not a lot. And it's just as easy to get spooked by comps to Colt McCoy, Johnny etc as it is to get excited by comps to Wilson and Brees.

I have a feeling I'd be all in on Baker and his shortcomings (pun intended) if this draft didn't have a 6'4, 230 awesome combination of arm, legs and clutchness in Sam Darnold with a huge ceiling. And another prototype tall, pocket guy with a perfect throwing motion and pro traits in Josh Rosen.

What i don't like about rosen is one of the things i don't like about Kessler. Rosen doesn't seem to have the ability to break arm tackles in the pocket. Kizer can do this, Big ben does it, Rodgers does it as well. 

To me it is an important trait. 

It is one good thing about Darnold he is good on script and off script, Rosen seems less good off script. 

6 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

What i don't like about rosen is one of the things i don't like about Kessler. Rosen doesn't seem to have the ability to break arm tackles in the pocket. Kizer can do this, Big ben does it, Rodgers does it as well. 

To me it is an important trait. 

It is one good thing about Darnold he is good on script and off script, Rosen seems less good off script. 

Completely agree. Rosen is also not the same QB when he faces pressure than when he's clean. I know that's the case for all QBs but it's very apparent with Rosen. His decision making falls to bits and he plays a version of hero ball he is not suited to.

Whereas, like you say, Darnold has the power and mobility to break out of and away from the pressure, and either make a play with his legs or keep his eyes downfield and deliver dimes on the run.

Archived