What I believe are the 2023 Steelers Off-Season Priorities

Steeler Hitman

23 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

20220216220413_img5718.WEBP

I'm okay with this, only because I don't see a stud potential ILB for us in this range, and I'd rather go D than O, at 17.  I'd prefer DL over CB here, but I also don't see the right value for the right type of prospect.

Maybe Rd 3 Pappoe and hope to develop him with that speed, or To'oTo'o for our 'Mack'??? Jack Campbell in the 4th as our Buck?  We get Benton at 32, or maybe Mustipher later, if we can acquire a 5th or 6th?

That leaves either a WR or OL for a 2nd, 2nd rd pic at 49, and BPA for our 2 picks in the 7th?  I'd be a happy man...

• Like 1

I think we have a bunch of  #3, #4, #5, & #6  types at CB.  That is not necessarily bad from a depth standpoint, but we really need a true CB1. Truthfully a CB2 as well.

It is still early in the draft and evaluation of talent portion but yes try to grab a good player and value within the first and third round. There are about 16 potentials draft candidates within those rounds, it is just a matter of what flavor of CB the Steelers like so to speak. 

Cam Sutton - - a starter, but he is a #3 on most teams with good CB's

LevI Wallace - -  He's our #2 and truthfully isn't horrible there. But I would love him as a #3 or #4 when teams roll out four WR's.

Ahkello Witherspoon - - Hurt much of the year and very inconsistent. We get bad Ahkello or wow Ahkello.  He is a Levi Wallace type who makes a splash or makes you pull your hair out. 

Arthur Maulet - - Plays Nickel, but really should be at safety in my opinion. I like his leadership and he competes. He just doesn't have Minkah Fitzpatrick type skills and abilities, but he always gives his all. 

WJIII - - Cut, but could be resigned at the right price. Veteran experience and looks great as a depth player.

James Pierre - - You keep six and he is probably #6.  Up and down, but limited.

Give me 

17 - Cam Smith, 32 - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, 49 - Benton

Sign David Long or Tremaine Edmunds at ILB, an OG to compete with Dotson and bring back Sutton, Edmunds, Kazee, Ogunjobi on defense.

I would be thrilled with this outcome. Would leave us with no major losses from last years team with big upgrades at CB, WR, D Line, and ILB. Combine that with the natural progression of Kenny, Pickens, and the o-line and I think you’re looking at a much more competitive team next year. 

36 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Give me 

Sign David Long or Tremaine Edmunds at ILB, an OG to compete with Dotson and bring back Sutton, Edmunds, Kazee, Ogunjobi on defense.

I would be thrilled with this outcome. Would leave us with no major losses from last years team with big upgrades at CB, WR, D Line, and ILB. Combine that with the natural progression of Kenny, Pickens, and the o-line and I think you’re looking at a much more competitive team next year. 

the above looks good and will help. However, it goes against the trench building that Weidl and Khan have talked about so I am not sure it will happen as such.  I doubt they can afford both Sutton and Ogunjobi though, and I really hope they at least keep Sutton. Ogunjobi was good too, but he isn't  a former steelers draft pick and might be the reason they opt to sign Sutton over Ogunjobi.

I don't know what Edmunds will command in UFA as a SS. Kazee might cost less but if they let Edmunds walk, then SS depth could be an issue.  They have to decide, and thats not going to be easy. I still think OL is priority especially for depth, so either a quality UFA or at least a #17 or prefer #32 pick maybe #49 range pick would suffice for OL. If they knew they would stay 100% healthy on the OL again, then they could roll the dice  but thats risky

While they most likely will improve the team in 23', there looks to be issues for maintaining depth and as a result we still could have the injury bug be a problem in 23.  Question is, where do they risk not having depth or having rookie depth?  Maybe restructure a few deals to add a bit of capspace but thats all they will get out of that.  Trading mitch could help but they still have to replace him and that QB would possibly save a bit but not much. This is where the dionte deal looks bad as well as mitch, and thats on colbert. Khan has to sort all that out asap before the rest of the offseason gets going.  

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Give me 

I’d be fine with that even thought I’m not sure Benton is worth 49th overall.

Without knowing how the free agency pieces fall, here's something that I would consider if the board aligns.  I am just starting to delves into some players and positions, so I will use others opinions of rankings as far possible position, player, and draft value/rank.

#17 - - O'Cyrus Torrance OG  Florida 6'5 335  Some may think a little high here, but the Steelers have done well with other high pick OG's. I made this pick because the top OT's Skoronski, Johnson, Jones and Johnson are gone. The top CB's Gonzales, Cam, Ringo, and Porter are gone as well. I was tempted to take Safety Brian Branch, but I am thinking they have the safety unit from 2022 in tact for 2023. I was also tempted to take NG Saiki Ilka, but I will gamble that another very solid IDL will be there. I went value, need and BPA. I could have taken TE Michael Myers, but we have Freiermuth and need more blocking for our QB and RB's.  This si considering the Steelers don't sign a player like Ravens OG Ben Powers. 

#32 - - Keeanu Benton NG Wisconsin 6'4 320 The Steelers address two areas of major need.  Despite not getting a top tier CB, the Steelers are getting tougher and younger in the trenches. 

#49- - Deante Banks CB Maryland 6'1 200 Coach Tomlin loves the DMV guys, but that may not be a bad thing here. MD has solid NFL prospects. Banks is not considered a stud, but can develop as Sutton did.

#80 - - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland 6'5 320 I think the Steelers learn from he Eagles and Chiefs and get their OL right with adding additional solid developmental pieces. 

121 - - KJ Henry OLB Clemson 6'4 255 Steelers are looking for depth at OLB.  Although I hope they sign Chase or Bud in free agency.

237 - - SirVocea Dennis ILB Pitt 6'1 235 Another ILB project. I am on the Edmonds or Pratt free agency  train, but they can still use depth and special teams.    

244 - - Karl Brooks DL Bowling Green 6'4 300 Lowdermilk type of developmental player for the DL. Most of the QB  prospects are more free agent types. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

You are valuing Benton way too much.  Anyone like Mazi Smith or Benton will last until 49.  I think they wuld both last until the 3rd round.  Neither offers anything of a pass rush.

Thanks for the input. I am early in the evaluation process. I certainly respect your draft evaluations. I do like Mazi as well. I realize about the interior pass rush. My thoughts are to purely aid in the run defense. We gotta get better there. 

2 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

1) Become more explosive on offense

2) Build the secondary with deep DB class

3) Start digging the trenches

in that order? 

17 WR

32 CB

49 OL/DL

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

You are valuing Benton way too much.  Anyone like Mazi Smith or Benton will last until 49.  I think they wuld both last until the 3rd round.  Neither offers anything of a pass rush.

this is where trading down  can help and of course trading dionte if UFA WR + RD1 WR helps get another RD3 pick.  

36 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

My thoughts are to purely aid in the run defense. We gotta get better there. 

so do we keep Ogunjobi a well?  Is it the players or the X's and O's that the run defence need help with?

• Like 1