What I believe are the 2023 Steelers Off-Season Priorities

Steeler Hitman

The 2022 NFL Season is over and the Kansas City Chiefs have been crowned Super Bowl Champs. Congrats to the Chiefs.  One interesting nugget is that I heard an audio of an interview played on Sirius XM's NFL channel in which Super Bowl MVP, Patrick Mahomes referred to the Eagles as the best team in the NFL. Interesting, but probably true.  The best team doesn't always win a game let alone a Super Bowl.  The winner is often who plays the best on any given Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.  

The 2022 Steelers won seven of their final nine games and probably should have won eight of nine. What changed from the start of the season in which the Steelers were 2-6? Easier schedule. I would say, No! They lost very winnable games against the Browns, Patriots, Jets, and Dolphins.  I honestly think that if those games where played after week 12, the Steelers win them all. So what was different?  The play of the Steelers OL and DL. After games that the defense struggled to consistently stop the run against the Bengals, Colts, Falcons, and Ravens, the Steelers defense absolutely crushed a Panthers OL who was at times dominant in their rushing attack. They had respectable showings against Josh Jacobs, Nick Chubb, and JK Dobbins and a Ravens offense and OL that gashed them for more than 200 yards.

Throw in the fact that during that same stretch of going 7-2 the Steelers offense and offensive line greatly improved.  Yes  some had to do with Najee Harris actually getting healthy from a Lisfranc injury. As the KC Chiefs did to the Eagles in the second half, the Steelers were doing to other teams during that 7-2 stretch.  The even repaid the Ravens with putting up 198 yards against them.  My point is that football games and championships are still won in the trenches.  Dominate the line of scrimmage and more often than not you will win.  It will hide and mask other flaws on offense and defense. 

As much as we hear talk of pairing our second year QB with his college WR as the Bengals did with Jamar Chase and Joe Burrow.  The Steelers would be better served tightening up their OL and DL.  Yes they need a good ILB and a CB1 as well.  I still think the Steelers will go farther with second year Kenny Pickett at QB with a solid OL and DL.   

We are all curious to see what Kahn/Weidl has in store for the Steelers during their first real off-season. I am sure that they will do a combination of drafting talent to develop and signing talent to improve.  At OT, they may look at someone like Eagle OT Andre' Dillard, Jaguars OT Jawaan Taylor, or Patriots OT Isaiah Wynn through free agency.  I doubt that the top two or three OT's would be there when the Steelers draft in the first round. However, Broderick Jones, Anton Harrison, Blake Freeland, Dawand Jones, or Darnell Wright may be there for one of the two second round picks and perhaps maybe the third. 

At OG they may look for some LG competition for Kevin Dotson and sign someone like Ravens Ben Powers, Giants Nick Gates or Will Hernandez, or Titans Nate Davis to name a few.  They could also opt to draft and develop as the IOL is looked at as being somewhat deep by early reports. O'Cyrus Torrence, Cody Mauch, Andrew Vorhees, or Emil Ekiyor to name a few that can be drafted in the late first early second round.

On the DL they could look to draft a young IDL player like Keanu Benton, Saiki Ilka, Mazi Smith, Gervon Dexter.  I would look to add a reasonably priced role player like Andrew Billings who can play NG and stuff the run. `

My point is build in the trenches and the other complimentary pieces can be added.  It may not even take two seasons to do this. 

Edited by Steeler Hitman

In my opinion the Steelers biggest weakness is CB. They simply lack Man to Man cover ability due to lack of athleticism and speed. Some may say I'm overreacting but look at the games where we faced talented QBs and WRs and the outcomes weren't great.

Bengals, Eagles, Bills, and even the Patriots (who lack talent at QB and WR but outscored us) attacked our Secondary. Our Safeties are excellent and if we bring back Kazee, Edmunds, and Karl Joseph then we have the most talented Safety group in the NFL. 

I'm curious to see if we release then re-sign WJIII. Sutton could re-sign but his lack of top end speed and athleticism is concerning. Levi Wallace is a solid player but his Man coverage is lacking due to him being slow and not athletic. 

Kansas City played 3 young, fast, and athletic guys in their playoff run (partly due to injury). Our CBs are lacking athletically and that is our biggest weakness. 

I don't disagree, but I don't want huge changes on the OL.   You risk disrupting the momentum and chemistry they built that ultimately made them arguably a top 10 unit by the end.

Do we need to add talent?   Sure, but dont force it.    If there is an OT they are sold on being a possible franchise LT, I would be okay with that, but dont take one because they MIGHT be a marginal upgrade over Dan Moore. 

The most easily upgradeable spot is Dotson, who IMO is better served as a backup.    Torrence would be an upgrade.   There might be others.   Dan Moore could slide over, but would the Steelers do that?

I personally think DL is more important.   Cam, as much as I love him, is on the slope.   He can still start, but he should get more rest than he used to.    Get a DE, and if Leal pans out, we have a nice set of ends for awhile, with the best mentor you could ask for in Cam Heyward.

We need NT, but I dont think we are getting an immediate starter in the draft.   Hoping we addresd this in free agency.

Obviously secondary, but I get nervous when we take CBs early.   Hopefully the new GM(s) fair better than the old one.

ILB....still have no idea what will happen here.   Bush is gone IMO.   Might keep Jack.   Need a smart read and react ILB next to him....or a super athletic one....preferably both, but thats rare.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

In my opinion the Steelers biggest weakness is CB. They simply lack Man to Man cover ability due to lack of athleticism and speed. Some may say I'm overreacting but look at the games where we faced talented QBs and WRs and the outcomes weren't great.

Bengals, Eagles, Bills, and even the Patriots (who lack talent at QB and WR but outscored us) attacked our Secondary. Our Safeties are excellent and if we bring back Kazee, Edmunds, and Karl Joseph then we have the most talented Safety group in the NFL. 

I'm curious to see if we release then re-sign WJIII. Sutton could re-sign but his lack of top end speed and athleticism is concerning. Levi Wallace is a solid player but his Man coverage is lacking due to him being slow and not athletic. 

Kansas City played 3 young, fast, and athletic guys in their playoff run (partly due to injury). Our CBs are lacking athletically and that is our biggest weakness. 

I largely agree, but I also think our lack of pass rush was just as big of a factor during the games you mentioned.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, our defense is WAY WAY WAY overly reliant on Watt.    The numbers with and without him are staggering.

Better CB talent is needed....but it goes well beyond that.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 43M said:

I largely agree, but I also think our lack of pass rush was just as big of a factor during the games you mentioned.

As someone else pointed out in another thread, our defense is WAY WAY WAY overly reliant on Watt.    The numbers with and without him are staggering.

Better CB talent is needed....but it goes well beyond that.

That is true but I'm looking at it from an individual rather than a whole. 

Sutton

40: 4.52 Vertical: 34 Broad Jump: 120

Three cone: 7.13

Levi Wallace

40: 4.63 Vertical: 33 Broad Jump: NA

Three cone: 6.91

Arthur Maulet

40: 4.62 Vertical: 34.5 Broad Jump: 120

Three cone: 7.12

Akhello Witherspoon 

40: 4.45 Vertical: 40.5 Broad Jump: NA 

Three cone: NA

That's a bad group athletically and should be addressed. 

• Like 1

with us leading he league in INT's despite not having TJ for over half the season, one might expect even more INT's and as a result might conclude that the CB's are 'good enough'.  Not what we want, but could the INT's last year come back to harm the team moving forward if they indeed  pass on some good CB's as a result?

I am hoping a CB  either at 17, 32 or a nice UFA  as well as keeping Sutton. 

I agree with all your points, 43M, but I keep coming back top the ILB one, as my biggest concern.  Bush is going to command more than what I believe we should be willing to offer to keep, which is backup/depth level ILB; but, all it takes is one team that feels he just wasn't implemented correctly in our system, etc., etc., and wants to get their hands  on a still young, former 1st Rd pick.

I honestly do not see a sarter-worthy ILB on the roster.  I think Robinson showed promise, but I wouldn't start him full time, as of yet . I'm not sure what the correct avenue is yet, other than we can use an upgrade to both ILB spots.

I also agree that we shouldn't monkey around with the OL spots too much; bring in some depth, and see how it shakes out.  Same with CBs...

Edited by Ward4HOF

23 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I agree with all your points, 43M, but I keep coming back top the ILB one, as my biggest concern.  Bush is going to command more than what I believe we should be willing to offer to keep, which is backup/depth level ILB; but, all it takes is one team that feels he just wasn't implemented correctly in our system, etc., etc., and wants to get their hands  on a still young, former 1st Rd pick.

I honestly do not see a sarter-worthy ILB on the roster.  I think Robinson showed promise, but I wouldn't start him full time, as of yet . I'm not sure what the correct avenue is yet, other than we can use an upgrade to both ILB spots.

I also agree that we shouldn't monkey around with the OL spots too much; bring in some depth, and see how it shakes out.  Same with CBs...

At the same time LBers is likely the place you can get away with the weakest grouping. Issue is our DL wasn’t good enough to get away with it. The Eagles have long put ILB as a lesser priority because Howie and Co (Yey having Weidl) know you can sacrifice big name/money there if you can man cover on the outsides, rush the QB, and most importantly keep the LBs clean in the run game. If you look at their LBs for years the stats have been the same with the names being different. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, warfelg said:

At the same time LBers is likely the place you can get away with the weakest grouping. Issue is our DL wasn’t good enough to get away with it. The Eagles have long put ILB as a lesser priority because Howie and Co (Yey having Weidl) know you can sacrifice big name/money there if you can man cover on the outsides, rush the QB, and most importantly keep the LBs clean in the run game. If you look at their LBs for years the stats have been the same with the names being different. 

I agree, in premise, about having a 'stout' DL, and that it's lacking, but we have 2 guuys that have shown some promise in Loudermilk, and last year's 3rd Rd draft pick, Leal.  We need a no kidding, stud NT, whether that's trying to bring our star-find home back from Philly, or draft one in day 1 or 2, than Yep, we are on the same page.  But we literally have a 7th Rd Draft pick as the only ILB that shows some promise.  And ILBs are used in coverage as well, not just the run game, so we need to consider that aspect, as well.  Be it we employ a 'Big nickel' Safety-type to assist in that role, more, or what-have-you, but we can't ignore coverage in that part of the field.

We have had such disappointment at ILB since the loss of Shazier, with Vince Williams being our most promising LB since that point...and the guys we are bringing in are disappointing.  I just really miss the days of Timmons and Farrior, with Hampton up front.  We, both, covered the LOS, and had pretty decent coverage, as well...is it too much to ask to go back to those days, lol??

Back on scheme.  The front 7/6 are mostly playing a hybrid.  The issue I see is that they are getting big 5 tech DEs to play inside.   Some of which can't play 2 gap well.  IMHO, they need to a fat body in there if they want their ILBs to play Tampa2 style.  Otherwise they need to go back to the BUCK LB in a passing league.  While it would be nice if they could get another DE that can play 3 tech and 2 gap like Cam but that is a high draft pick.

11 hours ago, armsteeld said:

In my opinion the Steelers biggest weakness is CB.

I am not saying that a CB1 is not a priority.  That would definitely help the back-end. However, I think the Steelers need to get tough in the trenches. They need help on the DL and could use some more talent and depth on the OL.

They simply lack Man to Man cover ability due to lack of athleticism and speed. Some may say I'm overreacting but look at the games where we faced talented QBs and WRs and the outcomes weren't great.

Bengals, Eagles, Bills, and even the Patriots (who lack talent at QB and WR but outscored us) attacked our Secondary.

Team did not generate a pass rush and the DL was pushed around in those games. I will add the Jets game as well. Our DL was as much a contributor in those losses as the lack of coverage. In particular the Patriots and Jets game that were both very winnable games if the defense could stop the run or generate pass rush with someone else not named Watt or Highsmith. 

Our Safeties are excellent and if we bring back Kazee, Edmunds, and Karl Joseph then we have the most talented Safety group in the NFL.

I like the trio. I gained much respect for Edmunds last season. He's not a stud, but a very solid guy. Joseph has to show he can stay healthy.  He's got a lot of potential, but he has not shown it on the field because he can't get on the field. 

I would not be against that CB1 with speed and great coverage. Top end speed is great, but I would settle for Joe Haden or Deshea Townsend like technicians. WJIII could be a surprise.  The team would be stocked with 3,4,5 type of CB's. 

Yes, but more than the good CB coverage was the improved line play on defense from the Chiefs.  hey stopped the Eagles overall rushing attack from their RB's.  The scrambling Jalen Hurst was the leading rusher.  Unfortunately, the Eagles could not rugby scrum every play. 

11 hours ago, 43M said:

I don't disagree, but I don't want huge changes on the OL.   You risk disrupting the momentum and chemistry they built that ultimately made them arguably a top 10 unit by the end.

Excellent point. I agree, but I think they could use some developmental talent as well.  They ideally need a franchise LT and C for the potential franchise QB.  Right now depth and competition at LG for Dotson.

Do we need to add talent?   Sure, but don't force it.    If there is an OT they are sold on being a possible franchise LT, I would be okay with that, but don't take one because they MIGHT be a marginal upgrade over Dan Moore. 

I agree.  I am looking at some of the OG and Center prospects as a possible fit between round 2-5. There is talent.

The most easily upgradeable spot is Dotson, who IMO is better served as a backup.    Torrence would be an upgrade.   There might be others.   Dan Moore could slide over, but would the Steelers do that?

I agree. Andrew Vorhees, Emil Ekiyor, Cody Mauch, John Michael Schmidt,  Luke Wypler, Steve Avila, Je Tipman, Ricky Stromberg are all guys who can add depth competition and would not have to immediately start.  I am curious to see what Andy Weidl's OL philosophy is compared to the past. 

I personally think DL is more important.   Cam, as much as I love him, is on the slope.   He can still start, but he should get more rest than he used to.    Get a DE, and if Leal pans out, we have a nice set of ends for awhile, with the best mentor you could ask for in Cam Heyward.

I would agree that we have a bigger opening at IDL.  Despite some improvement in run defense down the stretch, the IDL needs some bad dudes who can occupy blockers and are hard to move or push.  The Steelers DL at times got bullied last year.  They lost to the Jets and Patriots mainly because they could not stop the run even when they knew it was coming. Saiki Ika is a pure NG.  They seem to be drooling over Keeanu Benton. There are other big bodies who can be drafted. I would not mind resigning Ogunjobi. He is not a pure NG, but is very solid in the Steelers scheme as Tuitt was. 

We need NT, but I don't think we are getting an immediate starter in the draft.   Hoping we addressed this in free agency.

Part of the problem with free agent DT's is they tend to be expensive.  The NG are somewhat cheaper, but I think they may be able to draft a player to fit this mold unless you try to get an older veteran like Linvil Joseph, but the Steelers typically don't sign free agents that far north of 30. 

11 hours ago, 43M said:

Obviously secondary, but I get nervous when we take CBs early.   Hopefully the new GM(s) fair better than the old one.

ILB....still have no idea what will happen here.   Bush is gone IMO.   Might keep Jack.   Need a smart read and react ILB next to him....or a super athletic one....preferably both, but that's rare.

I would spend the money on Edmunds.  He's young, can move, he's athletic, and big. Get some guys to keep him clean up front and we have something to build around. Steelers have to be tough up the gut.  The first and second level disappointed at times. As armsteeld stated, the safeties are pretty good. Get those first two levels sorted out.

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

with us leading he league in INT's despite not having TJ for over half the season, one might expect even more INT's and as a result might conclude that the CB's are 'good enough'.  Not what we want, but could the INT's last year come back to harm the team moving forward if they indeed  pass on some good CB's as a result?

Crazy thing is they dropped a lot of INT's as well.  Dropped INT's versus the Dolphins and Patriots probably cost the Steelers two wins. INT's come because of a lot of different factors. However, we need better overall coverage to get the opposing offense off the field on third downs particularly. 

I am hoping a CB  either at 17, 32 or a nice UFA  as well as keeping Sutton. 

I think they grab a corner within the first two rounds. I am looking at draft position/value. we have over-drafted at this position, and I certainly don't want to see them reach for a corner because we need one. Be smart and play your board and hopefully someone will be in the range when you draft. The corners with the highest grades don't last that long typically. However, the luck factor can be there where you draft a gem and develop him. This has happed many times with other teams. Hopefully the Steelers can change that. 

43 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:
14 hours ago, 43M said:

I would spend the money on Edmunds.  He's young, can move, he's athletic, and big.

I'm one of the few here that totally agree with you.  IMO, we need a stud inside this year.  One to develop would be nice, as well...the smaller, quicker sideline-to-sideline type, like Shazier was...or, run a 3-3-5, with a "Big nickel" Safety--6'1" - 6'4" 225-235lbs, come down in obvious run downs, but can also cover the first 5-10 yards beyond the LOS.

I agree that strengthening our DL will help, but we still need solid presence at the ILB, and Mark Robinson is not going to cut it, and unless Bush has magically pulled his head out of his ***, he just needs to go, because I don't see him agreeing to a one-year, $2M prove-it-type deal, anyway...

Just go get Edmunds--overpay for once, to get that external FA that I bet is going to look even better in our D than Buffalo's...who knows...maybe having the brothers play together will add extra motivation.  Who, here, like me, has a brother, that you always felt the need to either match up to, or surpass, in all aspects of life--it's a thing!

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

Basic premise of this offseason…

1) Upgrade the lines on both sides of the ball whether it’s in FA or the draft…depth included.

2)Add speed/athletic ability at the skill positions on both sides of the ball

3)Set the team up to really compete going into 2024…I think they’re a year away from really trying to make a run deep into the playoffs

Just my opinion but if I could only sign 1 impact FA, it would be somewhere on the front 7 of the defense.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I'm one of the few here that totally agree with you. 

I believe that your defense has to be strong up the middle.  That can cover for some outside flaws.  The ability to win first down and make second down  a more predictable option is a proven formula. You win most games keeping an opponent at second and 8-10 or more due to a penalty. Far too often our defense has put teams in second and 3-4.  The offense has a lot more flexibility and it keeps the defense off balance.  Put some mean beefy guys up front and a nasty MLB who can bring the pain!💥

IMO, we need a stud inside this year.  One to develop would be nice, as well...the smaller, quicker sideline-to-sideline type, like Shazier was...or, run a 3-3-5, with a "Big nickel" Safety--6'1" - 6'4" 225-235lbs, come down in obvious run downs, but can also cover the first 5-10 yards beyond the LOS.

Yes. I am in on Edmonds as I feel they have a day one plug and play. He was already scouted by the Steelers and truthfully would have been the pick over his brother had they both been sitting there when the Steelers selected. 

I agree that strengthening our DL will help, but we still need solid presence at the ILB, and Mark Robinson is not going to cut it, and unless Bush has magically pulled his head out of his ***, he just needs to go, because I don't see him agreeing to a one-year, $2M prove-it-type deal, anyway...

I was waiting for Bush to step out and he just hasn't.  Many of the qualities and concerns that many posted about him prior to the draft have come to fruition. A change of venue may do him well, but it is time to move on from Pittsburgh in my humble opinion.

Keep your stud ILB/MLB clean and let him make plays. This is why I want a big body that can rotate in in the middle and just create mismatches and chaos to opposing offenses. 

I know the game is different, but the Steelers haven't had ILB's who were instinctive since the days of Foote and Timmons. Shazier looked like he was trending that way prior to his unfortunate injury.  

Just go get Edmunds--overpay for once, to get that external FA that I bet is going to look even better in our D than Buffalo's...who knows...maybe having the brothers play together will add extra motivation. 

I don't think they would be over-paying if the results are there.  The term overpay only seems to come up when the results don't match the $$$. If he solidifies the middle and can be a good to very good three down ILB, I think the juice is worth the squeeze.

Who, here, like me, has a brother, that you always felt the need to either match up to, or surpass, in all aspects of life--it's a thing!

I am only child. However, I had cousins my age who were  like brothers. Yes they were very much sibling rivals, so I feel you there. 

49 minutes ago, AFF said:

Basic premise of this offseason…

1) Upgrade the lines on both sides of the ball whether it’s in FA or the draft…depth included.

Agree 100%

2)Add speed/athletic ability at the skill positions on both sides of the ball

I would look to add an athletic type of TE.  Last year, I liked the kid from VA Tech that plays on the Colts and the kid from UCLA. You have some role/gadget guys with Simms, Gunner and a healthy Calvin coming back.  We could use a scat back/HR hitter at RB though. 

We need a fast CB or two.

3)Set the team up to really compete going into 2024…I think they’re a year away from really trying to make a run deep into the playoffs

I think that 2023 is possible to make some strides to compete (with the right offseason moves).  This team finished 7-2 down the stretch.  In 202 after starting 11-0 the Steelers faded badly. In 2021, they just were not a complete team.  In fact I think last years team at the end of the season would have beaten the 2021 that made the play-offs and got blasted by the Chiefs. Going 1-1 or 2-1 in the play-offs will only further disappoint and add more to the mediocre standard talk in Pittsburgh. I think the Steelers have something to positively build upon if they add the right off season components. 

The future is now. There are no guarantees in the NFL. The Steelers certainly know that. A bad call against the Patriots, a overconfident and unprepared team, injuries to Bell, Brown, and Ben at various times and you go from being called a contender to mediocre.  One of the best QB's of all time Dan Marino never got to go back to the Super Bowl for redemption. In the immortal words of Apollo Creed, ""

ZFiWBr.gif

Just my opinion but if I could only sign 1 impact FA, it would be somewhere on the front 7 of the defense.

There is a raise in the salary cap for 2023. While I won't proclaim an NFL paradise of overflowing "milk and honey," I do think that the Steelers can add a few good pieces through free agency and hopefully draft well for the future. Schedule, staying fairly healthy, and even being blessed with the ball bounces can help. I don't proclaim or even remotely think the Steelers are in a position to compete with the upper echelon teams today as the roster sits.  With the right additions and subtractions, things could fall their way sooner than later. 

• Like 1