What I believe are the 2023 Steelers Off-Season Priorities

Steeler Hitman

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Without knowing how the free agency pieces fall, here's something that I would consider if the board aligns.  I am just starting to delves into some players and positions, so I will use others opinions of rankings as far possible position, player, and draft value/rank.

#17 - - O'Cyrus Torrance OG  Florida 6'5 335  Some may think a little high here, but the Steelers have done well with other high pick OG's. I made this pick because the top OT's Skoronski, Johnson, Jones and Johnson are gone. The top CB's Gonzales, Cam, Ringo, and Porter are gone as well. I was tempted to take Safety Brian Branch, but I am thinking they have the safety unit from 2022 in tact for 2023. I was also tempted to take NG Saiki Ilka, but I will gamble that another very solid IDL will be there. I went value, need and BPA. I could have taken TE Michael Myers, but we have Freiermuth and need more blocking for our QB and RB's.  This si considering the Steelers don't sign a player like Ravens OG Ben Powers. 

#32 - - Keeanu Benton NG Wisconsin 6'4 320 The Steelers address two areas of major need.  Despite not getting a top tier CB, the Steelers are getting tougher and younger in the trenches. 

#49- - Deante Banks CB Maryland 6'1 200 Coach Tomlin loves the DMV guys, but that may not be a bad thing here. MD has solid NFL prospects. Banks is not considered a stud, but can develop as Sutton did.

#80 - - Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland 6'5 320 I think the Steelers learn from he Eagles and Chiefs and get their OL right with adding additional solid developmental pieces. 

121 - - KJ Henry OLB Clemson 6'4 255 Steelers are looking for depth at OLB.  Although I hope they sign Chase or Bud in free agency.

237 - - SirVocea Dennis ILB Pitt 6'1 235 Another ILB project. I am on the Edmonds or Pratt free agency  train, but they can still use depth and special teams.    

244 - - Karl Brooks DL Bowling Green 6'4 300 Lowdermilk type of developmental player for the DL. Most of the QB  prospects are more free agent types. 

Position wise I like it.

Id rather see us go another direction in rd 3.   I dont really want us to draft two OL in the first 100 picks.   If anything, Id rather double up on secondary, or draft an ILB or even a pass rusher in rd 3.

11 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Thanks for the input. I am early in the evaluation process. I certainly respect your draft evaluations. I do like Mazi as well. I realize about the interior pass rush. My thoughts are to purely aid in the run defense. We gotta get better there. 

WE are valuing them higher than most NFL teams because we want a Big Snack.  The current NFL is all about pass rush.  Only in our division, with the Ravens ( and the Steelers) would people value them more.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

WE are valuing them higher than most NFL teams because we want a Big Snack.  The current NFL is all about pass rush.  Only in our division, with the Ravens ( and the Steelers) would people value them more.

That’s why about the only NT guy I like is Benton. I think he has potential to become a decent interior pass rusher. He’s got some nifty moves, to go along with dimensions of a modern DT. Mazi, Ika, Texas Guy(?) are a dime a dozen.

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

To the extent that it seems they want to make teams more 1 dimensional…my guess is that they want to allow the pass rush and ballhawks in the secondary to make plays.

However if you could a guy that could do both on the IDL that would be a guy you pay the big $$$ for.

1 hour ago, AFF said:

To the extent that it seems they want to make teams more 1 dimensional…my guess is that they want to allow the pass rush and ballhawks in the secondary to make plays.

However if you could a guy that could do both on the IDL that would be a guy you pay the big $$$ for.

Pickens could be that guy I think. I'm not 100% he could hold up at the Nose but maybe.  

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

so do we keep Ogunjobi a well?  Is it the players or the X's and O's that the run defence need help with?

If the price is right, yes. If he wants $15 million a year, no. It is both the scheme and players. We need some bulk, but also some adjustments and discipline from the players. A great ILB would help as well.

17 hours ago, 43M said:

Position wise I like it.

Id rather see us go another direction in rd 3.   I don't really want us to draft two OL in the first 100 picks.   If anything, Id rather double up on secondary, or draft an ILB or even a pass rusher in rd 3.

In round three I considered taking Alabama ILB Henry To'o To'o.  I have not looked at film like I use to in the past. I am a bit behind.  He hasn't jumped out at me initially.  As far as double dipping on the OL, I don't see issue with tacking any of the three OL positions for depth or to improve.  They can use a LT or RT.  They need some competition at LG, and could use a franchise C. There is no superstar, but it looks like there is some talent there.  Wouldn't be an issue if the Steelers listened to me a few years back and drafted Tyler Biadasz or Quinn Mienerz the following year. For the record, I like Mason Cole and I think that JC is a decent back-up.  However, if Cole were to be out for any time, I think there is room for improvement.  It hasn't been Kendryck Green.

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

That’s why about the only NT guy I like is Benton. I think he has potential to become a decent interior pass rusher. He’s got some nifty moves, to go along with dimensions of a modern DT. Mazi, Ika, Texas Guy(?) are a dime a dozen.

I disagree with these guys being a dime a dozen.  Their value has diminished because many teams like to throw and throw often. However, the Steelers play more balanced offenses and some that are very run heavy. They are not able to consistently stop the run with the players that they have.  Even the Eagles went out and signed some run stuffers to be behind Hargrave and Fletcher. Those guys can collapse the pocket from inside and generate pass rush inside.  However, both have had some struggles stopping the run.

I saw this with Buffalo against the Bengals as well. They (announcers) talked about the snow, but the real difference was DJ Reader.   In January it is a different game. Offense that can run and defenses that can stop the run are hard to beat in January and  February.  

8 hours ago, jebrick said:

this is why the massive 2 down NT's of the past will be there later than they would have been 25  years ago.   We still might get a comparable player in RD3 of allthings, so may as well get CB early and then OL

Kancey for passrush inside  could be an option for some teams early in the draft. I doubt we draft him early though, too many needs and he is either a part time player or possibly a rotational player at times. 

55 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Championships start with the ability to shut down the run. 

I used to think like this but in recent times have though the secondary and passrush are more important if we had to pick. However, look at how Picheco did in the SB and what that could have been like if he was shut down. It makes it more of a challenge when the run is shut down, but at the expense of what is the concern when a team has many needs. 

Do you prefer a run defending DT/NT early on in the draft more than a OL or perhaps CB1?

17 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Getting a top end CB, a sideline to sideline ILB that isn't scared to stick his nose in the scrum and adding Tuli would do wonders for this team.  All could be had with our first 3 pix.  Throw in a late round NT and the Defense could be top 3-5. 

agree with this, and if TJ stays helathy that alone makes a major improvement.  This is all attainable this offseason as well, so lets see how it goes.  The answer to the above is simple, sign OL in UFA ;)

20 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

I used to think like this but in recent times have though the secondary and passrush are more important if we had to pick. However, look at how Picheco did in the SB and what that could have been like if he was shut down. It makes it more of a challenge when the run is shut down, but at the expense of what is the concern when a team has many needs. 

Do you prefer a run defending DT/NT early on in the draft more than a OL or perhaps CB1?

All are needs and I think you have to follow your draft value board and the depth of a position in the draft. Typically, I think there is a difference between a first round LT and a fourth rounder.

2 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I saw this with Buffalo against the Bengals as well. They (announcers) talked about the snow, but the real difference was DJ Reader.   In January it is a different game. Offense that can run and defenses that can stop the run are hard to beat in January and  February.  

Reader is top notch, but the bills OL was lacking as well.  I would like the dominant run defence as much as anyone here, but still think in todays game and with our cap situation that  OL and CB are more of  a need on this team. 

And NO, I am not set with the run defence either. I think there is value in vets like Suh, Joseph  (what about Brandon Williams?) , Billings are a few that seem like potential UFA signings. Ogunjobi might cost too much when considering the other needs that the team has with the cap where it's at or going to be at. 

• 2 weeks later...

1) LONG, TALL, PLAYMAKING DBS that can play press with a zone blitz behind it 

It's the only way to play the game. They never get off the line bc the QB is down too fast. The windows are too tight. He's not comfortable bc he's moving around. His guys are never open in time. He starts to panic. He makes bad throws. He beats himself.

2) Upgrade Weaponry on Offense

DJ is good but not with him. He can't throw 35 yards on a line without the nose of the ball diving. That's why it won't work for a route runner who works best on the outside. And he's not overly tall so he can't get easy jump balls. He must work for everything. He must be open and you have to see him and be in a position for him to be within your range. Hence, WR open but no catches. Or touchdowns. 

Najee is good for maybe Alabama donations. You don't have a good WR-QB fit there. And you have a bad RB fit.

Quentin Johnston would work opposite Pickens. In a rare case of a big handling the left flank. He can run the slant. He can run the double moves and the deep balls. Curls and outs. Body catcher is a negative. He's like 6'4" and runs like DeSean Jackson. The key - yards after contact.

Bijan needs no OL and takes pressure off him. The key - Le'Veon Bell running style. Elusiveness. Home run shots. Yards after contact.

We call these QB no skill of your own yards. It paints a more accurate picture of your role in the success of the offense. 

With a limited QB you need to improve the pieces within the working offense. You need a guy to take a slant to the house. Or break a long run - often. Is that Steven Sims changeup on that skinny post considered one of our splash plays? Do we acknowledge this weakness now or shall we press forward towards 2024??

After another failed year of development. You are aware Kenny Pickett is a 2-4 start from Mitchell Trubisky.

3) Offensive Line

YOU can't even play the game without an offensive line.

Two additions with one tweak. And then remove one starter each year for optimum OL mix

The WR on the left has to pull the safety over by demanding his attention and that's how you open the middle of the field for the TE/Slot

If you get a run game, you can do this all day bc now the backers are up too. And that's why the Steelers play the game a certain way. 

But they're not doing it.