Packfanfb's Pre-Combine It's All About Love Mock Off-Season

packfanfb

39 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I like the Keion White pick, but as you said maybe could trade down from 15 and get him in the late 20s instead.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm not sure White is the Edge I'd want there but could see it.

White will be a guy to watch at the combine. If his combine goes the way some analysts are predicting, he's going to rise. 

Jeremiah recently wrote this about him after the Senior Bowl: 

"White is a twitched-up edge rusher with a defensive tackle frame. Against the pass, he has an explosive first step and can really bend at the top of his rush. He can convert speed to power and refuses to stay blocked. He never stops working to free himself and he can stack one move after another. He is a freaky athlete in coverage. On tape, you can see him peel off and mirror running backs 30 yards down the field. He also showed off his effort and motor by running more than 80 yards to look for a block on a Georgia Tech fumble return vs. Florida State. Against the run, he is violent with his hands to shock and shed blocks. He has a huge burst to close from the backside. Overall, White is one of my favorite players in the class and could emerge as the top defender in the class." 

Just one man's opinion, but Jeremiah has White at No. 8 overall on his current board. 

• Like 1

On 2/18/2023 at 1:06 PM, packfanfb said:

Post Draft FA Moves

At some point, the Packers will likely need to add a veteran QB to back-up Love, but I think they wait until after the draft (post-draft cuts, etc.) and bring someone in after that. I don't see the Packers wasting a lot of cap dollars on a pre-draft FA QB. 

I could see it, but If Rodgers is traded I would also bet on Gutey following TT's ways and drafting another QB too. Possibly a higher pick than a lot of us are expecting too.

51 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I could see it, but If Rodgers is traded I would also bet on Gutey following TT's ways and drafting another QB too. Possibly a higher pick than a lot of us are expecting too.

This brings up an interesting point regardless of who starts at QB in 2023. What does Gute do in the draft at the QB position? 

The first question there is --> if we trade Rodgers, what picks (if any) are we getting for the 2024 draft. For example, I could see Gute's strategy being: Trade Rodgers and try to get a 1st rounder for 2024. If they do, GB can then evaluate Love in 2023 and if they want to move on, they'd potentially have two 1sts in 2024 to trade up and get their next QB (and then have that guy on 4 years of a rookie deal as opposed to signing Love to an extension). 

Conversely, if the Packers bring back Rodgers for 2023 and trade Love instead, I could see them taking a QB even in the 1st round if, let's say, they love a guy like Anthony Richardson and he's there at 15. Presumably, the Packers would tell Rodgers "hey, this is your last year" and basically inform him up front that they might draft another QB round 1. Let Rodgers play in 2023 and then turn it over to your new guy in Year 2. 

Option 3 is they just fully commit to Jordan Love no matter what. You make him the starter this season and, assuming he's at least average or better, you sign him to an extension. Sad part about that scenario is that you're not getting any "free years" with Love on his rookie deal. He's not going to get a gigantic Rodgers-like contract, but even a lower end extension for Love would be $20+ million per year. So, we are right back to having a high-paid QB. 

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

This brings up an interesting point regardless of who starts at QB in 2023. What does Gute do in the draft at the QB position? 

The first question there is --> if we trade Rodgers, what picks (if any) are we getting for the 2024 draft. For example, I could see Gute's strategy being: Trade Rodgers and try to get a 1st rounder for 2024. If they do, GB can then evaluate Love in 2023 and if they want to move on, they'd potentially have two 1sts in 2024 to trade up and get their next QB (and then have that guy on 4 years of a rookie deal as opposed to signing Love to an extension). 

Conversely, if the Packers bring back Rodgers for 2023 and trade Love instead, I could see them taking a QB even in the 1st round if, let's say, they love a guy like Anthony Richardson and he's there at 15. Presumably, the Packers would tell Rodgers "hey, this is your last year" and basically inform him up front that they might draft another QB round 1. Let Rodgers play in 2023 and then turn it over to your new guy in Year 2. 

Option 3 is they just fully commit to Jordan Love no matter what. You make him the starter this season and, assuming he's at least average or better, you sign him to an extension. Sad part about that scenario is that you're not getting any "free years" with Love on his rookie deal. He's not going to get a gigantic Rodgers-like contract, but even a lower end extension for Love would be $20+ million per year. So, we are right back to having a high-paid QB. 

Yes, but hopefully you are getting draft picks that will be really good players at other positions on rookie contracts from the picks aquired in a trade. That dosen't make up for having to pay a QB obviously, but hopefully helps soften the blow as you don't need to spend free agent $ on other positons for a few years and make the overall roster better. Of course that asusmes you hit on those picks.

On 2/18/2023 at 4:35 PM, Old Guy said:

I like so much about this, especially getting Jalen Wyatt. He's one of my favorites in the draft. 

Wouldn't be a shocking if the Packers like the other Tennessee WR better than Wyatt.  

Edited by R T
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Day 3, maybe late Day 2 at the earliest.  There's not going to be any QBs available at 15 (or whatever pick they land) that would get you to move on from Jordan Love, and the decent ones aren't going to last long enough to get with a non-FRP.

Personally, I'm going with the scenario I laid out in my mock.  Focus on getting that '24 FRP as the centerpiece of a trade.  Odds are it's probably not going to be a high pick, but it's another piece to put alongside your own pick IF Jordan Love struggles.  If Love plays well, then you're putting another good piece alongside Jordan Love.  And then use that pick swap to put a long-term piece around Jordan Love, or whoever your QB is.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

White, Hyatt, Washington is something that I would absolutely love to see.  In my mind, that is a fantastic haul, and I wouldn't need anything else in the draft to consider it a success.  

Well, you can't.  It has been said over and over in here that Gute needs to hit on all his draft picks in order to be "good", not just the higher ones.