Broncos hire Vance Joseph as DC

General Tso

8 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Most teams have terrible defensive records against the Chiefs in recent years, no?

I mean you’re not wrong but He’s very blitz  heavy and aggressive, so it’s even worse then usual. I think week one he blitzed Mahomes at a higher percentage then anybody else ever has and the Chiefs scored 40+

15 hours ago, Broncofan said:

1.  VJ had really successful years - also coincided with big talent infusions (2020 in particular was a rare good year for GM Keim, getting Devondre Campbell, Phillips & Golden upgrade the D, and then JJ Watt in 2021).   2019 & 2022, horrible talent on the D - losing the top 3 CB's for a large part of the season really made it tough to put it all on VJ.  On the flip side, his best years were also ones where the talent upgrade was undeniable, too. 

Hi, the reason there was horrible talent on the D last year is his inability to develop (or even play) young players. IE Tanner Vallejo and Nick Vigil playing over Collins and Simmons when the talent disparity is obvious. Also was awkward the amount of times I saw Chandler Jones and Marcus Golden inexplicably dropping back into coverage. Idk VJ isn’t horrible, and I think he’s a good person. He’s just a below average DC, which for the Broncos I’d find annoying since you could’ve just kept Evero

22 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Hi, the reason there was horrible talent on the D last year is his inability to develop (or even play) young players. IE Tanner Vallejo and Nick Vigil playing over Collins and Simmons when the talent disparity is obvious. Also was awkward the amount of times I saw Chandler Jones and Marcus Golden inexplicably dropping back into coverage. Idk VJ isn’t horrible, and I think he’s a good person. He’s just a below average DC, which for the Broncos I’d find annoying since you could’ve just kept Evero

FWIW, I get your point was pre-2022, but Jones was on the Raiders (and by that time, he was fading, it was a smart move to let him walk).  

Re: Evero, he didn't want to stay as Hackett & he were best friends; sadly that was a no-brainer choice (and why the FO blocked interview requests until he & Payton met), but if an assistant coach doesn't want to stay, better to cut bait.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

IMO, he's a clear step down from Evero.

Sadly that's pretty much a given.

I still believe that so long as Patricia doesn't somehow find a lesser job with us, that the whole "let's interview Patricia" idea was a Machiavellian move designed to change the fanbase's reaction with the VJ hiring news from "we're going with VJ after losing Evero? meh" to "thank god / at least it wasn't Matt Patricia".    

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

We actually couldn’t have once his best friend Hackett was fired.