Week 13 GameDay Thread: Texans (4-6) vs Titans (7-4)

KingTitan

Quarterback Marcus Mariota ran in a score and threw for another in the Tennessee Titans 24-13 victory over division-rival Houston Texans. Second-year running back Derrick Henry recorded 109 yards on 11 carries, including a 75-yard touchdown run that clinched the game with just 0:57 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

Texans QB Tom Savage was tasked with a lot against Tennessee, attempting 49 passes to the tune of 31 completions and 365 yards but their rushing attack mustered just 53 yards on 22 carries in the loss. With that, we give you our PFF-exclusive takeaways from the contest for each team.

TEN-Titans-Header.png

Top 5 Grades:

TE Delanie Walker, 87.7 overall grade

S Johnathan Cyprien, 85.7 overall grade

LB Avery Williamson, 84.2 overall grade

S Kevin Byard, 82.8 overall grade

QB Marcus Mariota, 80.7 overall grade

Performances of Note:

QB Marcus Mariota, 80.7 overall grade

It was a solid performance by the third-year quarterback, as his offensive line did a marvelous job protecting him. Under pressure on just six dropbacks, Mariota was sacked twice, ran for a first down and didn’t complete a single one of his three attempts, but he shined when passing from a clean pocket — 15-for-20, 150 yards, 1 TD, and a passer rating of 112.5. Mariota kept it safe for the majority of the game, throwing deep just three times completing none.

TE Delanie Walker, 87.7 overall grade

When looking Walker’s direction, Mariota was a perfect 5-of-5 for 63 yards and a touchdown, resulting in a perfect 158.3 passer rating. On two big-time catches on the drive gave Tennessee took the lead for good, Walker spread out where he did his damage as each of his passes was caught against a different defender in coverage. He was excellent as a run-blocker once again as he continues to be one of the better run-blocking tight ends in the NFL.

S Johnathan Cyprien, 85.7 overall grade

While Cyprien was charged with Houston’s lone touchdown on the day, he was otherwise excellent throughout. He gave up just two receptions for nine yards on five throws into his coverage, and led the Titans with a run-defense grade of 88.6.

CB Logan Ryan, 75.0 overall grade

Ryan’s grade may be average, and his day ended early due to injury, but Ryan held his own against one of the best receivers in the game. Charged with covering DeAndre Hopkins 1-on-1, he gave up just five receptions for 44 yards on nine throws into his coverage against Houston’s top weapon. Of the four incompletions, he batted away one pass and was in position with blanket coverage on each of the other three.

Delanie-Walker.jpg

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-tennessee-titans-24-houston-texans-13

10 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Arians is a genius. Making Gabbert looking good in that scheme. He throws his picks but he’s looked better this year than he ever has.

Arians is as stubborn as practically every other coach. He's gotten Carson killed the last two years behind that terrible offensive line because he refused to switch from his deep passing system. Same thing that got Ben killed for years too. If he's got a good o-line it can work really well, but for whatever reason his teams rarely seem to have one.

What a game not prefect by any stretch of the imagination but they pulled it out.

Robiskie is so Jekel and Hyde with his play calling. He had a great play call on the Mariota TD but a lot of that Game feels like he takes his foot off the gas but we won I guess that’s all that matters

On the other hand LeBeau really needs to stop being so stubborn. When the Texans only have Hopkins to throw too why is it so hard to put Adoree Jackson on him to take him away and leave the Texans with no one to throw too? He got bailed out today but watching Ryan get shredded play after play was sad.

On to Arizona for our first ever trip in this stadium  

1 hour ago, Titans fan 617 said:

What a game not prefect by any stretch of the imagination but they pulled it out.

Robiskie is so Jekel and Hyde with his play calling. He had a great play call on the Mariota TD but a lot of that Game feels like he takes his foot off the gas but we won I guess that’s all that matters

On the other hand LeBeau really needs to stop being so stubborn. When the Texans only have Hopkins to throw too why is it so hard to put Adoree Jackson on him to take him away and leave the Texans with no one to throw too? He got bailed out today but watching Ryan get shredded play after play was sad.

Ryan gave up 4 catches on 9 targets to Hopkins....not his fault he was expected to stop an elite receiver with no help 

58 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Ryan was by far our best bet against Hopkins, and he had a good day. He can handle physical receivers much better, and it showed. All he allowed was mostly underneath stuff and that sideline grab that for every other player in the league is a season highlight, for Hopkins it's just routine. Adoree on Brown was a smart choice, so was Ryan on Hopkins.

7 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Adoree has been very good this year but having him one on one with Hopkins would've been disastrous.

No one should be one on one with him but watching Ryan play off of Hopkins on 2 or 3 straight plays mixed in with the long grab down the side lines was bad. Ryan was also in on the Hopkins catch when he was double teamed and Ryan went for the swat of the ball I don’t think Ryan had a good day I don’t care what the stats say. Giving up long balls and key 3rd downs I would to have liked to have seen what Adoree could do on him 

35 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Adoree has been very good this year but having him one on one with Hopkins would've been disastrous.

Exactly adoree struggles wit playing technique & mixing it up when it’s time to be physical. Ryan played a hell of a game 2 of those catches Hopkins I know were him getting pushed off ??‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

No one should be one on one with him but watching Ryan play off of Hopkins on 2 or 3 straight plays mixed in with the long grab down the side lines was bad. Ryan was also in on the Hopkins catch when he was double teamed and Ryan went for the swat of the ball I don’t think Ryan had a good day I don’t care what the stats say. Giving up long balls and key 3rd downs I would to have liked to have seen what Adoree could do on him 

Kinda hard for Ryan to not give up key 3rd downs when Hop is pushing off EVERY play LOL

Adoree would've gotten pushed around even more than Ryan did. Hes not ready for hop right now imo. 

Archived