John Fox is still employed

G08

Having  good defense is great.

But having a good QB is essential. Fox has shown no desire to develop Trubisky.

He should have been fired the minute Pace new he was going to draft a young QB or he should have been fired after Week 4. Fangio should have been made coach and Loggains told to run an NFL offense.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

Fangio doesn't like Fox.

That tells me Arians would murder Fox.

I want a young offensive HC that can be around awhile. Arians no matter what is on his last coaching act.

Gotta think Arians would never take a job here if he didn’t get the autonomy to run his offense his way all the time with Fox’s only input being go on 4th or punt type decisions. That would squash a lot of any potential animosity. 

I don’t think it happens with Arians anyway - just spitballing the idea. If Fox is kept for some reason then a once-but-probably-not-again HC with a history of developing young QBs would be a must IMO.

A guy like Ken Whisenhunt fits that mold but he’s already OC for the Chargers. Would an Asst. HC title be enough to get a guy like that without it being considered a lateral move? Dirk Koetter could fit that mold too. I lived through the HC Koetter era at ASU firsthand and it was a **** show and seems to be following a similar trajectory in Tampa. If he’s let go after the year I think he’d be a great OC get who’s probably not getting another HC look. 

18 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

What if Arians is fired in AZ? Assuming he’s willing given his health issues (a big factor). Front office that didn’t hire him here is long gone, and he’d have a primo QB prospect to groom. Could he even take an OC/Asst. HC gig here if Fox is retained? 

I don’t see Arians working under Fox due to polar opposite offensive philosophies.

HC, maybe, but health is a concern.

On the off chance you mean me,  I have just wondered aloud if Loggains is better than Fox lets him be.  The trick plays are cute, but the other 90% has been very predictable and unimaginative.  At the end of teh day, I doubt Pace will be able to tell where Loggains started and Fox ended so expect both to be gone unless they go 12-4 or something insane.  I would still fire Fox if I thought there was any chance of getting someone better.  

In my mind I'm already picturing Fox and him being too conservative to at least steal some office supplies.

I will say if Fox survives for next season I am overpaying DeFilippo to come over as our OC with an understanding that he may be the next HC. The Eagles blocked the Jets from interviewing DeFilippo for their OC spot, but he is only under contract this year.

La Canfora

John Fox, Bears: The next two coaches I am going to list are doing great work in a lot of ways. They have teams with not much talent in some key spots, who are playing very hard, and staying in every game and who actually should have even more wins than they have … but given the realities of their situations coming into the season, it's not going to be enough. The Bears defense is playing out of its mind with Vic Fangio leading that unit (more on that below) and won some games with raw rookie quarterback Mitchell Trubisky, but the rumblings about imminent change in Chicago are strong. Fox has nothing to be ashamed of at 3-5 with this team, but even if they duplicate that record in the second half I foresee changes here after two already-lean years in Chicago.

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

La Canfora

I don't doubt it for a second. The chief goal of the Chicago Bears should be to develop Mitch Trubisky. I just don't believe Fox can do it. If Fangio goes it would be a real shame because he is finally getting his D to play lights out. I can't say enough about Fangio, but without a superstar QB we will always be a fringe team. 

The Garoppolo trade should probably cancel all thoughts of McDaniels following him wherever he goes. Not that I think it was likely in the first place, but it does increase the chances of him being available to come here.

I wonder which teams we'll be competing against to land the top-level candidates that will be available this year. Indy looks like all but a certainty. Both New York teams could be in the market, as could Cinci, Cleveland, and maybe TB? Of all of those, I think we'd wind up being the most attractive. We've got a good defense and the possibility of keeping a great coordinator, lots of cap space, a savvy GM with a demonstrable history of drafting well, and a young QB that has shown signs of promise in his first year - all things for which a candidate may be looking. It wouldn't surprise me if we had our pick of the litter.

I'm all for McDaniels, but we have to be aware that is a damn tough offense to learn not only for your QB but your skill position players as well.

That requires time, patience, and continuity. The Bears don't know what any of those words mean.

If Fox gets canned I think a name who people should start to get familiar with a little more is current Jets OC John Morton.

He coached under Sean Payton's staff briefly in 2006 and from 2015-2016 before being hired by Bowles this past off season.  He also coached on Jim Harbaugh's staff with the 49ers from 2011 to 2014.  So there is the Saints connection for Pace and the 49ers connection for Fangio if they decide to want to keep him.

The fact that the Jets have looked decent on offense so far (more so than the Bears do) and have a better record than most people expected at this point can be partially attributed to Morton's work with the offense, especially considering the personnel they have on that side of the ball.

Don't over look Morton. as a serious candidate to replace Fox.

46 minutes ago, G08 said:

I have a thread over in NFL General and someone mentioned Morton.

He's coordinating the 25 ranked offense in scoring; Loggains currently is 28th.

Jets 21st scoring offense 23rd total yards vs Bears 28th scoring offense 29th total yards.  When you consider the personnel each team has on offense Bears should be closer.

Also last year Kyle Shanahan led the #1 scoring offense and 2nd in total yardage and this year his 49ers are currently ranked 29th in scoring offense and  24th in total yards. #Perspective

Archived