2023 Combine

Pastor Dillon

21 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

reports are that Richardson, Stroud and Levis will all throw at the combine. Young will not. 

I think there’s concern from Young’s camp on that AC joint. He’s going to throw at his Pro Day, but not throwing now is a bit of an eyebrow raise from me.

Of this trio throwing - I think Richardson is going to improve his stock the most. Stroud is going to perform as we expect, smooth in his release, accurate and fundamentally sound with footwork and arm slotting. Levis is going to launch the ball all over the yard and look really nice on the move, but ball placement will be spotty. Richardson is going to blow everyone away with his pure arm talent; I think people will be surprised on how much touch and anticipation he demonstrates - add this to him unleashing hell downfield with an explosive windup and release (along with a 40 yard dash I’m going to predict is in the 4.5s) and people are going to start putting him as a trendy QB1. The idea of letting Richardson sit a year while a vet plays in 2023 is going to get a lot of momentum.

I’m warming up to the idea of drafting Will Anderson at 1.2, and using 1.12 to trade back inside the top 10 to grab a falling Stroud (or Young). The compensation to move from 12 to 5 seemingly is less than the compensation to move from 2 to 1 - and if you can add a franchise cornerstone in Anderson and STILL get a top QB, then you do it.

• Like 1

That 1.61 split is INSANE. Absolutely insane.

Anderson was the BPA before the combine, and has possibly cemented himself as a franchise altering presence on a defense. He’s bigger than anticipated and is as fast in testing as he is on game tape.

This is pure greatness for the Texans - either the Bears have to reject an offer to move down to draft this guy (and the Texans get the pick of the litter at QB) or the Bears trade down and the Texans get the best edge defender since Von Miller. 

On this note:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-combine-2023-results-tracker-historic-performances-from-defensive-players-highlight-day-1-of-workouts/amp/

10 Edge/DE/OLBs ran sub 4.5s yesterday. This incoming class of edge guys are FAST, FAST, FAST. They’re all a bit on the smaller end, but there should be no shortage of potential pass rushers to be had.

Georgia DE/Edge Nolan Smith had a 41.5” vertical leap and ran at 4.39. For comparison - those are better numbers than athletic freak Saquan Barkley. He’s very undersized at 239 lbs, and he didn’t really demonstrate much as a member of that All Star defense (he was the #1 recruit coming out of HS but never lived up to expectations). I’m sure his combine figures will get him up the board, but if he’s there at the top of the 3rd, he could be a very good member of a pass rush rotation.

32 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Anderson was the BPA before the combine, and has possibly cemented himself as a franchise altering presence on a defense. He’s bigger than anticipated and is as fast in testing as he is on game tape.

This is pure greatness for the Texans - either the Bears have to reject an offer to move down to draft this guy (and the Texans get the pick of the litter at QB) or the Bears trade down and the Texans get the best edge defender since Von Miller. 

If... big IF... the Bears stay at 1 and take Anderson... I am listening to offers from other teams for 1-2...

if Colts come with 1-4, 2024 1st, & 3-79, I am making that deal

if Seahawks offer 1-5 + 1-20, I am taking that deal (or if they offer 1-5 + 2-37+2-51)

If Lions offer 1-6 + 1-18 (and a little lagniappe), I am taking that deal

If Raiders offer 1-7, 2024 1st, & 2-38, I am taking that deal

If Panthers offer 1-9, 2-39, 2-61, and Jaycee Horn, I would strongly consider that deal

My point is... I am comfortable trading down and staying in top 10.

I am also comfortable using trade capital to trade back up (but not to #1 overall). ;) 

42 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Need to see his vert & broad jump (get off of her!)... will have to wait until his pro day (March 23)

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

If... big IF... the Bears stay at 1 and take Anderson... I am listening to offers from other teams for 1-2...

if Colts come with 1-4, 2024 1st, & 3-79, I am making that deal

if Seahawks offer 1-5 + 1-20, I am taking that deal (or if they offer 1-5 + 2-37+2-51)

If Lions offer 1-6 + 1-18 (and a little lagniappe), I am taking that deal

If Raiders offer 1-7, 2024 1st, & 2-38, I am taking that deal

If Panthers offer 1-9, 2-39, 2-61, and Jaycee Horn, I would strongly consider that deal

My point is... I am comfortable trading down and staying in top 10.

I am also comfortable using trade capital to trade back up (but not to #1 overall). ;) 

I shared this in another thread - I don’t really feel good about the talent in this draft past pick 14 or 15. There is some top heavy value in the top 3-5 picks (specifically - Anderson, Young, Carter) then moderate value in relation to the picks from 6-14 (Stroud, Mayer, Addison, Porter Jr, Johnston) then anything else is projection based on athletic ability that never really proved itself. Any other year, I’d be down… but not at the expense of a premium player, IMO. (The only good player I see getting drafted outside the top 15 is JSN, and that has more to do with his injury last season; He’s actually a top 4-5 talent in this draft).

In relation to the Colts? They pay an “AFCS Tax” which is multiple picks in 2024 and 2025 to move up. If I give them first crack at a QB this draft, I want to make sure they cannot surround them with talent for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lumberjackchris said:

Not sure I’m sold on Anderson. He seems like more of the Travon Walker physical freak type that plays solidly. I don’t see the special pass rush talent there especially to take at 1-2

im 100 percent sold on him.  To the point that I would take him 2 over the QB's.  Thank god it's an NFC team in front of us and behind us in the draft order.  I want him if the NFC if we dont take him.  I see a 10 sack per season type of talent with him. 

Edited by Texansfan713

I have seen a few mocks that have us taking Lukas Van Ness with the 12th overall pick. He put up some good numbers at the combine.

6ft 5 272 pounds He ran a 4.58 40 and has a broad jump of 9'10" He only did 17 reps on the bench, but that can be fixed. 

From the work outs Bryan Bresee really stood out to me. Dude can be really good. 

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I have seen a few mocks that have us taking Lukas Van Ness with the 12th overall pick. He put up some good numbers at the combine.

6ft 5 272 pounds He ran a 4.58 40 and has a broad jump of 9'10" He only did 17 reps on the bench, but that can be fixed. 

From the work outs Bryan Bresee really stood out to me. Dude can be really good. 

I mentioned this awhile ago, but BY at 2, Van Ness at 12, and a pass catcher at 33 (TE or WR). BPA the rest of the way. That's my dream draft.