Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

Am I the only one struggling to see how the ravens and Lamar mend this relationship? This has to be humiliating for Lamar to get the non exclusive tag and then have a flood of leaks from teams saying nope within hours. Ravens called his buff and won. Not having an agent/mediator here is bad, this is no doubt personal. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Not my point to suggest a team will wait, even until after the draft, let alone free agency. I'm suggesting they may not be open and transparent about their interest the first 2 hours that this guy is eligible to talk to teams.

Ah, gotcha. 

Still, not sure what teams get out of putting out that they aren’t interested. Like, sure, you could say nothing. I don’t really know what they get out of publicly being disinterested, though. 

One step further, what would they lose if they said they were interested? Another team might be more pressed to urgently get Lamar in for a visit and up their offer, but you have to assume that A) Lamar was going to shop regardless, and B) you’d have to beat out their deals anyway. 

I’m not overthinking anything, just not sure what the motivation would be to explicitly state disinterest rather than either of the alternatives (affirmative interest or silence). It’s definitely weird that a bunch of teams are putting it out there like this, IMO.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Xmad said:

They have until july we got a long ways to go and multiple dominoes to fall.

Yeah I don't believe anything from any media reports until we see an actual signed offer from either side.

Deshaun Watson has two torn ACLs, a massive laundry list of sexual assault allegations, hadn't played a snap in two years and still got paid lol.

Lamar's play hasn't been Shaky....? Ya'll clearly haven't watched him play.

Here’s what you need to understand, though…

there was one team in the NFL willing to give out that fully guaranteed contract - Cleveland. Every other team in on Watson refused to match that

So the ONE team willing to do that type of contract is set at QB now, and the market for Lamar is all of the teams who decided AGAINST giving that to Deshaun.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

Am I the only one struggling to see how the ravens and Lamar mend this relationship? This has to be humiliating for Lamar to get the non exclusive tag and then have a flood of leaks from teams saying nope within hours. Ravens called his buff and won. Not having an agent/mediator here is bad, this is no doubt personal. 

Nope i agree with you. If Lamar does end up with the Ravens for this season, I wouldnt play a single snap, preserve my health and walk at the end of the season.

Im also not as comfident as many others are that Atlanta will be willing to give up 2 firsts for Lamar.

5 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

That’s why i’ve been saying i think it’s a virtual certainty this ends with him holding out, eventually playing on the tag and trying to force his way into UFA in 2024

15 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Lamar's play hasn't been Shaky....? Ya'll clearly haven't watched him play.

Lamars game is reliant on his ability to scramble and run, not necessarily both on the same play. Against defenses capable of playing good QB contain, he is extremely limited and typically, npt very effective. He played a lot of weak opponents this season and benefitted greatly from that. I wouldnt say his play is shaky, but Im also not as willing as some to label him an elite QB

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Ah, gotcha. 

Still, not sure what teams get out of putting out that they aren’t interested. Like, sure, you could say nothing. I don’t really know what they get out of publicly being disinterested, though. 

One step further, what would they lose if they said they were interested? Another team might be more pressed to urgently get Lamar in for a visit and up their offer, but you have to assume that A) Lamar was going to shop regardless, and B) you’d have to beat out their deals anyway. 

I’m not overthinking anything, just not sure what the motivation would be to explicitly state disinterest rather than either of the alternatives (affirmative interest or silence). It’s definitely weird that a bunch of teams are putting it out there like this, IMO.

I think it's kind of the default move to say you are happy with players/assets you already have***. Affirmative interest would not make sense for someone you don't know for sure you can get (offer with Lamar and Ravens non-match needed). Silence may be hard to define. If "sources" asked the team if they were going to explore it and you said "yes" it would be construed as affirmative interest

***Unless you are Eric Decosta and talking about our receivers

What reason could exist for teams not engaging? That's the idea being floated that makes no sense. ASSUMING his demands are too high, isn't it. You still quietly poke around, even if its to mess with the Ravens.

Edited by wackywabbit

55 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Just because other teams make poor decisions doesn't mean you should too.

Lamar is a starter and earned a second contract, but not at the price he's demanding.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Again - teams unanimously deciding that player X isn’t worth X amount of $ due to his play/injuries the past few seasons isn’t collusion. It’s everyone seeing the reality of who and what a player is/is worth.

I guarantee if Mahomes was on the market, owners would be willing to give whatever $ he asked for to get that guy on the team.

Lamar just isn’t in that category of player.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2