Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Well technically we were looking down on the AFC South division champions in the standings.

Had we gotten to that legendary coin flip though....

Not really. Yes the Jags are seeded higher, but in no way are they looking down because we're not in the AFC South. In the AFC overall the Ravens have more wins. It's kinda of odd flex for a 9-8 division winner to say they are looking down in the standings on a clearly superior wild-card team, since the only reason the qualified for the playoffs is by playing the Texans, Colts, and Titans in the their division are barely sneaking in because the Titans lost out due to a QB injury. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Your statement was that the Jags were looking down on the Ravens based on the standings, though. You can rephrase your original retort to amend this error. 

Maybe I was technically incorrect.  I just consider the playoffs as part of the whole season.  A team that goes further in the playoffs went further than a team that didn't.  An argument could be made that if a team gets in by winning a lousy divsion could be inferior to a team that didn't get win enough games in a tough division.  At the same time, Jacksonville did win a playoff game, so they should get credit for that.  It's worth something.  In any case, I'd rather win a playoff game than not make the playoffs, even if I had an easier road getting there.  Not a big deal.  I wasn't meaning to make a big issue of it. 

The Ravens are a good team, and will probably be back again this season.  I hope you guys find a way to keep Lamar.

• Like 2

On 3/9/2023 at 7:02 AM, notthatbluestuff said:

Bills 

QB Josh Allen

Stacked roster.

Dolphins 

QB Tua

WR's Waddle/Hill

Just acquired Ramsey

Stacked roster.

Jets

QB Aaron Rodgers

WR's Lazard, Garrett Wilson, possibly Odell. 

RB Breece Hall who is a beast. 

Stacked roster, especially defense. 

Patriots

QB Lamar Jackson

Slightly above average roster

GOAT Coach

Jesus what a DIVISION.

Doubt Pats get Lamar though. Just not a BB move. I say 5% chance. 

11 minutes ago, General Tso said:

So, anyone thinking a random team just signs him out of the blue tomorrow?

Not through an offer sheet and be forced to give up 2 FRPs. The team that signs Lamar to an offer sheet also takes the contract against their cap immediately until the Ravens make a decision. So I doubt most teams want to tie up their cap at the start of free agency. Only way the Ravens don't match is if the offer sheet is ridiculous (Snyder?). Better to just ask Lamar for what he's looking for in a contract then work out a sign and trade to pay less in draft compensation.

36 minutes ago, General Tso said:

The Jets should honestly be all over this

That's actually a great idea.  Rodgers is good, but Lamar is younger and would be around for the next decade.  He might be just as good as Rodgers at this point too.  A lot will depend on Rodgers' motivation, but you don't have to worry about that with Lamar.  He will show up mentally ready to play.

Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but is the following scenario possible/permitted?

For example, the Colts trade their #4 pick this year to a team at the end of the first round for this year's first rounder and a first rounder next year. The trade would clearly favour the team at the end of the first round, as the 2024 pick should likely be a late first rounder as well.

They would then give up the two picks from the trade for Lamar and thus end up keeping their first round pick next year.

Is that possible?

3 minutes ago, whodatOL said:

Perhaps this has been discussed here before, but is the following scenario possible/permitted?

For example, the Colts trade their #4 pick this year to a team at the end of the first round for this year's first rounder and a first rounder next year. The trade would clearly favour the team at the end of the first round, as the 2024 pick should likely be a late first rounder as well.

They would then give up the two picks from the trade for Lamar and thus end up keeping their first round pick next year.

Is that possible?

You must trade "your own" first round picks for a player on the tag.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

You must trade "your own" first round picks for a player on the tag.

I've been a little confused by this as well. So they wouldn't be able to process the trade until after the draft, right? Because the Colts would have to send 2024 and 2025 1sts since those would be their own actual picks?

8 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I've been a little confused by this as well. So they wouldn't be able to process the trade until after the draft, right? Because the Colts would have to send 2024 and 2025 1sts since those would be their own actual picks?

Yea pretty much this. And this is a strategy that I've seen people suggest a team do, is sign Lamar after this year's draft then they only owe those future picks.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:17 PM, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

That's actually a great idea.  Rodgers is good, but Lamar is younger and would be around for the next decade.  He might be just as good as Rodgers at this point too.  A lot will depend on Rodgers' motivation, but you don't have to worry about that with Lamar.  He will show up mentally ready to play.

Except at the end of the season...when he won't show up at all.

• Like 3