Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

This does change the formula, though. 

If Lamar is pressing to be traded, then that implies he’d be willing to accept a deal with a new team that Baltimore would match if signed on an offer sheet. Otherwise teams would’ve signed him to an offer sheet by now. Either that, or he mistakenly believes that the 2 FRPs are scaring people off and that he could be traded for less (he won’t be). 

1 minute ago, Soko said:

If Lamar is pressing to be traded, then that implies he’d be willing to accept a deal with a new team that Baltimore would match if signed on an offer sheet. Otherwise teams would’ve signed him to an offer sheet by now. Either that, or he mistakenly believes that the 2 FRPs are scaring people off and that he could be traded for less (he won’t be). 

It's just the negotiation equivalent of a guilty person who can't stand silence and has to confess. Lamar can't stand the lack of interest from the Ravens and other clubs in meeting his lofty demands, so he keeps flaring up to try to change the dynamic.

Unfortunately for him, Lamar and the people around him are morons. He only makes himself more unlikable with every "chess move" he throws out and continues to hurt his own position. I mean the dude had to get publicly reprimanded by his own side(NFLPA) because of the Ken Francis debacle.

This doesn't change all that much for me. He's still a player demanding a contract no one wants to give him and until there's some movement on that front it'll be more of the same posturing from Lamar up to that July 17th deadline.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Soko said:

Or he just realizes that he's not going to get a legitimate offer from another team as a restricted free agent so the only way he's going to get out of Baltimore and get a contract elsewhere is via trade.

9 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Some Raven’s fans already hate the Colts because of the Mayflower incident. If Lamar goes to Indy and leads them to the AFC Championship game they will be pissed. We might even put a banner up next time they come to Indy. 

I’d be fine with #4 and Buckner. We need to accept we’re not getting “the haul” and move on 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Find a power hungry pastor in the organization (really, any pastor will do) and blame everything on him.

I think that's actually Harbaugh, all things considered. No idea if we have any real pastors on staff.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Enjoy some edibles.

Funny enough, I did my first edible last week(?). Didn't feel a thing.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Double it and give it to the next person.

Roger that.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Find a baseball team that cheats and cheer for them.

This only makes it worse that the Astros are in the AL West...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Don’t underestimate how much hating a money grubbing pastor can help you out here. You can borrow Joel Osteen from my hate diary.

I really need to find a money grubbing pastor in the PNW.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- ‘Tis nothin’ a good bourbon can’t fix.

If I wasn't on a strict nutrition plan for the next 4 weeks I'd be doing this.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Hope Ray Lewis goes into coaching and joins the Ravens after a stint as a successful DC of the 49ers.

I'm still waiting for us to call up Ed Reed. Been like 8 years now...

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Go absolutely off on the “maybe Tyler Huntley is a good QB” crowd. Many a post in the Texans forum is me yelling at some Davis Mills truther. It’s therapeutic.

What if I was one of the "Maybe Tyler Huntley is a good QB" people last year? 👀 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

- Bas…ket…ball? Is that a thing in Seattle? I know it ain’t a thing in Houston (pro OR college).

It was until Gonzaga lost by 40 to UConn on Saturday. My god. Now we all shift our attention to the Mariners....

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

That’s what got me through about a few initial hours of that nonsense. Then… Tony Buzbee showed up and made it all better. 

Well that ain't gonna happen so I guess I just hope we trade Lamar for a King's ransom then I talk myself into believing whatever QB we take in the top 5 turns out to be good.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Or he just realizes that he's not going to get a legitimate offer from another team as a restricted free agent so the only way he's going to get out of Baltimore and get a contract elsewhere is via trade.

And he thinks Baltimore is going to trade him for less than 2 FRPs? Seems unlikely. 

Just now, Soko said:

And he thinks Baltimore is going to trade him for less than 2 FRPs? Seems unlikely. 

The non-exclusive tag limits what the Ravens can get back for him in a trade and the teams that can actually acquire him. So the best solution for all parties seems to be a trade where the Ravens can get what they consider fair value, the other team ensures that they're actually going to acquire Lamar, and Lamar can go somewhere that wants to pay him.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The non-exclusive tag limits what the Ravens can get back for him in a trade and the teams that can actually acquire him. So the best solution for all parties seems to be a trade where the Ravens can get what they consider fair value, the other team ensures that they're actually going to acquire Lamar, and Lamar can go somewhere that wants to pay him.

There’s no way Baltimore realistically believes a FRP + fluff is “fair value” for a franchise QB. 

If a team wanted to give Lamar that mega deal (that Baltimore has refused to offer) + 2 FRPs to Baltimore, they would have.

So what does requesting a trade accomplish as far as changing that formula? To me, it’s incredibly unrealistic for anyone to believe Lamar would get straight up traded for less than two FRPs. So if it isn’t the pick compensation, it has to be the contract.