Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

Just had a random thought on this. Imagine talking your boss and saying you want a raise and they're like, "The best we can do is a 50% raise." And you're like, "Nah, I'm the top performer in this company and I want a 100% raise, and this year I'm going to prove to you why."

So, you go above and beyond in the first quarter of the year. Then you get kinda complacent in the second and third quarters. You show up and do your job but nothing else. Then you call out sick for the last quarter of the year. You come back from your sick leave...

You: Alright guys, where's my 100% raise?
Boss: You serious? Where were you for the last 3 months?
You: Hey man, I got sick
Boss: You got sick for like 3 months the year before
You: Hey man, it happens. People get sick.
Boss: We'll still give you the 50% raise but you're outta your mind if you're gonna the 100% you asked for
You: Even after how well I performed 3-4 years ago? The disrespect...

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

What's your definition of black balled?

I think if Cam Newton had taken a knee, nothing would've happened. Kaep sucked. He was worth sticking on a roster probably, but he was allegedly demanding a starter-type contract. On top of that, why would a team want the circus to come to town with Kaep? If he were good enough, he'd be on a team. Deshaun Watson embarassed the league far worse and he had plenty of suitors. He wasn't worth the money he was seeking, nor the headache that would have come along with him. I highly doubt there was collusion to run him out of the league. The same wouldn't have happened to a more talented player.

I'm not going down this path if anyone wants to argue if he was black balled. He absolutely was and I won't be debating it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Yeah that makes sense. There was no risk that Deshaun Watson would miss a bunch of games.

I think it's more style of play. Watson is more consistent from the pocket and his game is going to translate later into his career better than Lamar's game will.

Of course everyone knows he's had 2 ACL injuries, that's kind of why his passing from the pocket is important. Lamar's passing from the pocket, despite the numbers showing he's been good, if you watch him actually play, it's not that great.

That on top of Lamar's biggest asset being his athleticism which we all know isn't sustainable into his 30's and the fact he's been injured to end 2 straight seasons, and in those seasons he hasn't been a top-5 QB - well it starts to make sense.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Just had a random thought on this. Imagine talking your boss and saying you want a raise and they're like, "The best we can do is a 50% raise." And you're like, "Nah, I'm the top performer in this company and I want a 100% raise, and this year I'm going to prove to you why."

So, you go above and beyond in the first quarter of the year. Then you get kinda complacent in the second and third quarters. You show up and do your job but nothing else. Then you call out sick for the last quarter of the year. You come back from your sick leave...

Boss: We'll still give you the 50% raise but you're outta your mind if you're gonna the 100% you asked for

Then you look at your coworkers Kyler and Watson that have performed worse than you on every metric get their raises without any questions.

4 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's more style of play. Watson is more consistent from the pocket and his game is going to translate later into his career better than Lamar's game will.

Of course everyone knows he's had 2 ACL injuries, that's kind of why his passing from the pocket is important. Lamar's passing from the pocket, despite the numbers showing he's been good, if you watch him actually play, it's not that great.

That on top of Lamar's biggest asset being his athleticism which we all know isn't sustainable into his 30's and the fact he's been injured to end 2 straight seasons, and in those seasons he hasn't been a top-5 QB - well it starts to make sense.

Still crazy to consider that Lamar has only thrown for 3,000+ yards once in 5 seasons.

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Although it is ironic that Lamar's 2 closest comps are Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick and their best seasons were at age 35 and 30, respectively. 

23 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Didn't stop the 49ers from trading for Trent Williams? The Rams trading for Jalen Ramsey? The Dolphins trading for Jalen Ramsey after that. 

Him sitting out which is exactly what he should of done last year as well won't factor in the slightest with him signing with another team in 2024.

Only this ridiculous idea of a fully guaranteed contract.

If he sat out this last year he's still gonna have to play out his 5th year option with the ravens.

Same with the franchise tag, oh no he sat out a year and forced the ravens to franchise him again at the same non exclusive tag.

13 minutes ago, Art_Vandalay said:

.......This doesn't hold up because getting injured is legitimately part of the being in the NFL.

Guys get injured that is part of the job.

Players bet on themselves in a contract year, it didn't work out, take the 180-ish million guaranteed or a 3 year fully guaranteed contract and bet on yourself.

4 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Although it is ironic that Lamar's 2 closest comps are Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick and their best seasons were at age 35 and 30, respectively. 

Almost like running QBs playing well into their 30s because being a good starting QB for a decade+ in the NFL let alone as one who uses their legs more.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Then you look at your coworkers Kyler and Watson that have performed worse than you on every metric get their raises without any questions.

No, it wouldn't be like looking at coworkers. It would be like looking at two employees working at poorly ran, failing companies. As a boss, I'm saying just because they're idiots doesn't mean we need to be idiots and he can go look elsewhere (which the Ravens told Lamar to go do).

I don't understand how the Ravens can be considered the bad guys here.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would add the “on top of that” - teams that would trade for Lamar need to significantly change what they do.  I put out there in the Steelers forum that there’s 1 team that wouldn’t have to significantly change things that we haven’t heard from that Lamar could take them over the top and have performed well with backups before - San Francisco 49ers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xmad said:

.......This doesn't hold up because getting injured is legitimately part of the being in the NFL.

Guys get injured that is part of the job.

Players bet on themselves in a contract year, it didn't work out, take the 180-ish million guaranteed or a 3 year fully guaranteed contract and bet on yourself.

NFL players get injured just like we all get sick. However, it's a harsh reality but if you don't show up to work, you're not as valuable as the guy that does show up to work.

I have no issue with players betting on themselves. The problem here is that he lost the bet and is walking around acting he like won it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Well.....

Watson " slept" with enough people, so....

Kyler is vertically challenged, so can't be discriminating 

And here we are