Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

49 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea - that whole thing kinda blew my mind.  I do think that’s a spot an agent could have helped Lamar understand the language of what was going on.  Baltimore basically offered a 3 year deal fully GTD with 2 option years.

I know I’m quoting myself but @AFlaccoSeagullsliked and made me think of this to add it - smart play could have been a Kirk Cousins like move of re-negotiate right before the contract hits years he doesn’t like by having the cap hit be so big that extending is the only option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Here were the details reported by Schefter:

No idea whether the contract was for 5 years, or 3 years. It seems like maybe 3/$133 was fully guaranteed and then the other options started to kick in.

EDIT: It looks like all of the guarantees are kicked in before the league year of 2026, so yeah it's a 3 year deal worth up to $200M in guaranteed money.

Either way, Lamar turning that down is pretty goddamn laughable from an objective standpoint.

source: 

I’m not sure if you’re misspeaking or not, but the deal is essentially 3 years/$133m.

With the Ravens then controlling whether or not it can be a 5 year/$250m deal with $200m guaranteed. They have the option component on their end.

Which could potentially be a point of consternation; if his value goes up after three years, they capitalize by having him for two years potentially at a “bargain”, if his value goes down they capitalize by being able to cut bait. He has no control in either scenario.

From that vantage point a straight 3 year/$133m deal is more preferable for the player because at least if his value does go up he can cash in then.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’m not sure if you’re misspeaking or not, but the deal is essentially 3 years/$133m.

With the Ravens then controlling whether or not it can be a 5 year/$250m deal with $200m guaranteed. They have the option component on their end.

Which could potentially be a point of consternation; if his value goes up after three years, they capitalize by having him for two years potentially at a “bargain”, if his value goes down they capitalize by being able to cut bait. He has no control in either scenario.

From that vantage point a straight 3 year/$133m deal is more preferable for the player because at least if his value does go up he can cash in then.

Yeah that's more or less what I was getting at. 3/133 was fully guaranteed and then after that there's more guarantees that can be added on via injury or "springing" guarantees.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

EDIT: It looks like all of the guarantees are kicked in before the league year of 2026, so yeah it's a 3 year deal worth up to $200M in guaranteed money.

Either way, Lamar turning that down is pretty goddamn laughable from an objective standpoint.

source: 

That's not a bad first offer by the Ravens, clearly Lamar would have been better off countering than demanding a trade, but that's $133MM guaranteed and Schefter is doing his usual slimeball owner bootlicking BS.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's not a bad first offer by the Ravens, but that's $133MM guaranteed and Schefter is doing his usual slimeball owner bootlicking BS.

I don't really see it that way? He himself in that podcast report literally exactly what you said - $133M in fully guaranteed money at signing, with more guarantees after the 2nd league day of 2026.

shrug

I don't think that's owner bootlicking besides maybe the comment about how much money Lamar turned down by not signing that deal.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I don't really see it that way? He himself in that podcast report literally exactly what you said - $133M in fully guaranteed money at signing, with more guarantees after the 2nd league day of 2026.

shrug

I don't think that's owner bootlicking besides maybe the comment about how much money Lamar turned down by not signing that deal.

"Springing guarantees" is timeshare salesman level made up. It's an option that kicks in the 5th day of the league year if he's on the roster. That's a roster bonus.

25 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

You said right up there that they didn’t do anything shady. So if everything they did was on the up and up, then it seems they’re just as good as anyone else. 

Just because the rules allow you to do something doesn’t automatically make you a “good guy”

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's not a bad first offer by the Ravens, clearly Lamar would have been better off countering than demanding a trade, but that's $133MM guaranteed and Schefter is doing his usual slimeball owner bootlicking BS.

@AFlaccoSeagulls

By owner bootlicking, he’s referring to it being HIGHLY disingenuous of Schefter to refer to this deal as if it’s $200m guaranteed. Most idiot fans will hear that and think “Lamar turned down $200m guaranteed!”

When really that’s not the case. He turned down $133m guaranteed with $167m guaranteed for injury.

Schefter was even disingenuous with the injury guarantees by referring to it as $174m guaranteed when that wasn’t true as the extra $7m was only guaranteed in the event that Lamar made it to year 4 without being cut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Just because the rules allow you to do something doesn’t automatically make you a “good guy”

Dude, pick a lane.

You imply that they did something sneaky, then when asked what was sneaky about it, you reply “well I didn’t say it was sneaky.”  And then when people respond to that you say “well that doesn’t make them good.” 

Quit dancing with the semantics and state your feelings, because if you actually thought “there is no right or wrong here, just two sides doing what they can reasonably be expected to do,” you wouldn’t have gone on about it for two or more pages. 

4 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Here were the details reported by Schefter:

No idea whether the contract was for 5 years, or 3 years. It seems like maybe 3/$133 was fully guaranteed and then the other options started to kick in.

source: 

Lamar is bishing after turning down 3 yr/$200M ($133M GTD)? Lawd. 

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

@AFlaccoSeagulls

By owner bootlicking, he’s referring to it being HIGHLY disingenuous of Schefter to refer to this deal as if it’s $200m guaranteed. Most idiot fans will hear that and think “Lamar turned down $200m guaranteed!”

When really that’s not the case. He turned down $133m guaranteed with $167m guaranteed for injury.

Schefter was even disingenuous with the injury guarantees by referring to it as $174m guaranteed when that wasn’t true as the extra $7m was only guaranteed in the event that Lamar made it to year 4 without being cut.

Yep, like I said, it's not a bad offer. But Schefter's characterization of it is an outright lie. He throws the word "guaranteed" like a scientologist saying your name back at you. By the end of that minute long description the average fan is going to have the opinion that every dollar these guys get paid is guaranteed in one way or another, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EvilenFroggen said:

Dude, pick a lane.

You imply that they did something sneaky, then when asked what was sneaky about it, you reply “well I didn’t say it was sneaky.”  And then when people respond to that you say “well that doesn’t make them good.” 

Quit dancing with the semantics and state your feelings, because if you actually thought “there is no right or wrong here, just two sides doing what they can reasonably be expected to do,” you wouldn’t have gone on about it for two or more pages. 

I have a lane.  Sorry it doesn’t fit a neat little good guy/bad guy narrative you seem to want to push.

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar is bishing after turning down 3 yr/$200M ($133M GTD)? Lawd. 

It sounds like it was probably four or five years. It sounds reasonable, though with $133 mil gtd and 175 for injury, plus escalators.