Commanders extend DT Daron Payne (4 years, $90M)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Allen is significantly better than Payne. That is a horrible proposition.

Okay?

I said they can get out of Allen’s contract, not that they will. Acting like having two expensive DLmen is going to cripple a roster (that lacks an expensive QB) is silly. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Okay?

I said they can get out of Allen’s contract, not that they will. Acting like having two expensive DLmen is going to cripple a roster (that lacks an expensive QB) is silly. 

They could have just not resigned Payne and traded him. That would have been better long term. They are either wasting the 2nd round pick they drafted to replace Payne or wasting a prime opportunity to get value back for a player at their highest value.

Again, I love Payne, I am glad he is still here, but he shouldn't be making more money than Jon Allen and this will have significant ripple effects for other players we can resign or Free Agents we could sign.

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

They could have just not resigned Payne and traded him. That would have been better long term. They are either wasting the 2nd round pick they drafted to replace Payne or wasting a prime opportunity to get value back for a player at their highest value.

Dude didn’t even play last year, you have no idea what he’s going to give you, let alone if he’d come close to replacing Payne’s impact. If he ends up just being a strong rotational piece, that’s not a wasted value. This isn’t madden, your starters aren’t playing every snap.

10 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Again, I love Payne, I am glad he is still here, but he shouldn't be making more money than Jon Allen and this will have significant ripple effects for other players we can resign or Free Agents we could sign.

He’s making more because he signed later. If Allen was a free agent now, chances are he’d make more/similar dollars. It’s inflation, it is what it is. If you never sign anyone because there’s a better player out there making less, you’ll be disappointed. 

Again, having two good DLmen doesn’t put a dent in a team without a QB. Were the Chiefs screwed because they had Clark+Jones making $40M+ last year? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Dude didn’t even play last year, you have no idea what he’s going to give you, let alone if he’d come close to replacing Payne’s impact. If he ends up just being a strong rotational piece, that’s not a wasted value. This isn’t madden, your starters aren’t playing every snap.

Mathis got hurt. Plenty of Washington fans were complaining about the pick when it happened with the only logical point being that he was the replacement for Payne at some point. Resigning Payne shows that the front office has no clue what they are doing and are incapable of managing assets for what they are worth. Anyone paying attention to this franchise would understand that there is and has not been a clear direction for the team since the current staff has taken over.

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s making more because he signed later. If Allen was a free agent now, chances are he’d make more/similar dollars. It’s inflation, it is what it is. If you never sign anyone because there’s a better player out there making less, you’ll be disappointed. 

Again, having two good DLmen doesn’t put a dent in a team without a QB. Were the Chiefs screwed because they had Clark+Jones making $40M+ last year? 

It doesn't matter when he signed, he is not better than Allen. Payne is not worth the contract he was given TO US. There is already an All-Pro player at the position and having two big cap numbers for the same position is absolutely foolish. Again Frank Clark is a defensive end (that was a cap casualty) and Jones is the best interior defensive lineman not named Donald. Those aren't the same situation and there isn't a rational explanation for the amount of resources allotted to the DT position.

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Mathis got hurt. Plenty of Washington fans were complaining about the pick when it happened with the only logical point being that he was the replacement for Payne at some point. Resigning Payne shows that the front office has no clue what they are doing and are incapable of managing assets for what they are worth. Anyone paying attention to this franchise would understand that there is and has not been a clear direction for the team since the current staff has taken over.

That’s fine, he got hurt. Doesn’t matter. What matters is he didn’t get on the field and dominate, up his play time, and show he’s actually worthy of replacing Payne. Not his fault, but it didn’t happen. 

Like I said, just because he doesn’t come out and do that in Year 1, doesn’t make him a wasted pick. It doesn’t mean there’s no plan. And even then, if he works out? Oh no, now you’re stuck with a super cheap DLmen on your rotation that you could trade at any time! Meanwhile the strong tandem is kept together. 

21 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

It doesn't matter when he signed, he is not better than Allen. Payne is not worth the contract he was given TO US. There is already an All-Pro player at the position and having two big cap numbers for the same position is absolutely foolish. Again Frank Clark is a defensive end (that was a cap casualty) and Jones is the best interior defensive lineman not named Donald. Those aren't the same situation and there isn't a rational explanation for the amount of resources allotted to the DT position.

Allen’s an All-Pro? Must’ve missed that. Well, since JA is clearly an All-Pro, I agree with you. 

I mean, in that case obviously you trade Payne for picks. Young DT coming off a Pro Bowl season for a draft pick…that draft pick could be anything. It could even be a Pro-Bowl DT! 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

That’s fine, he got hurt. Doesn’t matter. What matters is he didn’t get on the field and dominate, up his play time, and show he’s actually worthy of replacing Payne. Not his fault, but it didn’t happen. 

Like I said, just because he doesn’t come out and do that in Year 1, doesn’t make him a wasted pick. It doesn’t mean there’s no plan. And even then, if he works out? Oh no, now you’re stuck with a super cheap DLmen on your rotation that you could trade at any time! Meanwhile the strong tandem is kept together. 

Allen’s an All-Pro? Must’ve missed that. Well, since JA is clearly an All-Pro, I agree with you. 

I mean, in that case obviously you trade Payne for picks. Young DT coming off a Pro Bowl season for a draft pick…that draft pick could be anything. It could even be a Pro-Bowl DT! 

I'll add this crazy thought of mine, conspiracy theory-level: both Allen and Payne are great, play well together and will continue as a tandem to wreak havoc on offensive lines. 

*takes off tinfoil hat*

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 2

Seriously, what is going on in here? 😅 Everyone wanted their team to trade a first and extended Payne, and yet here we are debating whether Payne was worth extending. He was. He's very good, young and now a loyal Washington guy to bring stability to the defense while the team attempts to figure out the offense.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Seriously, what is going on in here? 😅 Everyone wanted their team to trade a first and extended Payne, and yet here we are debating whether Payne was worth extending. He was. He's very good, young and now a loyal Washington guy to bring stability to the defense while the team attempts to figure out the offense.

I'm very happy with it. Some fans aren't. Personally I think the constant use of the Buckner trade as some plan we should follow is silly. Kinlaw is not Buckner and my guess is the 49ers would probably rather have Buckner back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, malak1 said:

What would they need for Chicago to pry Chase Young from their roster?

maybe wait a year when the cap might be more of an issue for Washington or will it? If  they do it now, maybe a 2nd, I don't think much more than that