Commanders extend DT Daron Payne (4 years, $90M)

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

No clue what they are thinking... Literally cant pay everyone on the dline and they drafted Phidarian Mathis last year in the 2nd.

Why not if you've got a 5th round rookie at QB? Seems like less of a waste of money than a Wentz like deal. Maybe Chase Young isn't in line for an extension.

• Like 4

Just now, Trojan said:

Why not if you've got a 5th round rookie at QB? Seems like less of a waste of money than a Wentz like deal. Maybe Chase Young isn't in line for an extension.

Well considering they have Montez Sweat, Kamren Curl and Chase Young with expiring contracts in the next two years, this is really dumb. The 49ers laid out the blueprint for a situation like this when they traded Buckner to Indy. When you have a surplus of wealth, you need to capitalize on their value. They should have traded Payne for a first round pick, and rebuilt other positions from there.

I am a huge fan of Payne, but the contract is way too much money for a DT2.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Well considering they have Montez Sweat, Kamren Curl and Chase Young with expiring contracts in the next two years, this is really dumb. The 49ers laid out the blueprint for a situation like this when they traded Buckner to Indy. When you have a surplus of wealth, you need to capitalize on their value. They should have traded Payne for a first round pick, and rebuilt other positions from there.

Not saying I disagree, but the 49ers decision to trade Buckner didn't exactly turn out as planned. They basically traded him for Kinlaw, who has 3 sacks over 3 years while Buckner continues to dominate. I'd hardly call that any sort of blueprint. They would have been better served moving on from Armstead. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Buckner for Kinlaw sure worked out.

They can get out of Allen’s contract starting next season. They’ll be fine.

Just now, swoosh said:

Not saying I disagree, but the 49ers decision to trade Buckner didn't exactly turn out as planned. They basically traded him for Kinlaw, who has 3 sacks over 3 years while Buckner continues to dominate. I'd hardly call that any sort of blueprint. They would have been better served moving on from Armstead. 

The point was when you have an over abundance of talent at one position, you don't pay them all. They already drafted their Kinlaw in Mathis. The team has so many needs that recouping a pick or multiple picks would have been way better IMO.