Free Agency Frenzy

gopherwrestler

The Lions moved quickly at the start of free agency to agree to terms with running back David Montgomery, and they may have been motivated in part to keep Montgomery away from a couple of division rivals.

Montgomery also had offers to stay with the Bears or sign with the Vikings, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

Guaranteed money appears to be the difference, as Montgomery’s three-year, $18 million contract with the Lions includes both $8.75 million fully guaranteed at signing at $2.25 million fully guaranteed if he’s on the Lions’ roster on the third day of the 2024 league year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/03/bears-and-vikings-also-made-offers-to-david-montgomery-before-lions-signed-him/

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The Lions moved quickly at the start of free agency to agree to terms with running back David Montgomery, and they may have been motivated in part to keep Montgomery away from a couple of division rivals.

Montgomery also had offers to stay with the Bears or sign with the Vikings, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune.

Guaranteed money appears to be the difference, as Montgomery’s three-year, $18 million contract with the Lions includes both $8.75 million fully guaranteed at signing at $2.25 million fully guaranteed if he’s on the Lions’ roster on the third day of the 2024 league year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/04/03/bears-and-vikings-also-made-offers-to-david-montgomery-before-lions-signed-him/

I think this is more evidence that they are moving off Dalvin....soon.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's just a question of when it'll happen...pre-draft, draft day, or post-draft. 

It’s a matter of when and how much compensation. I would like to see a decent return this year, but 2024 draft picks would be cool, too. Maybe both!? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Round 3. That's good value for him I imagine.

Back in the day, we probably could have got a first for him lol

Definitely back in the day, we'd get at least a 2 because of his age, but I think even a 3 at this point is stretching it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

A 3rd round or Day 3 pick?  I'm fully expecting it to be no more than a Day 3 pick. 

I agree. I could see a 5th this year and a conditional 4th next year that could go as high as a 2nd if the team trading for him reaches a conference championship and he's on the roster or something like that.