The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

7 hours ago, Leader said:

Are these periphery guys? STL is 2.5 out of the division lead and .05 out of the WC. Not sure why they'd be sellers.

And on the other side, the Cardinals farm system is pretty weak.  Especially at the top.  Dylan Carlson has probably jumped Nolan Gorman as the top prospect in the Cardinals' organization right now.  Both are probably as close to untouchable as it gets right now.  Andrew Knizner probably isn't getting moved either.  This is probably the weakest the Cardinals farm system has been in terms of arms in a LONG time.  There's not a whole lot there.

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Shout out to @StLunatic88 I think He was the only one on this forum that wasn’t bashing Ozuna lol, it’ll be interesting to see what the Cardinals do with him this offseason. Would Ozuna be looking for a long-term deal or a prove-it type deal considering he’s been dealing with injuries for the past 2 years. I’d bet he gets a multi-year deal somewhere and I doubt it’s from the Cardinals. 

He's gone.  There's no way the Cardinals are committing to him the way he wants.  He's selling out for power in favor of contact.  This is a contract year.  Let someone else overpay him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd consider it if the right package came around.  Putting the sentimental value he has behind us, he's been roughly a ~3 WAR pitcher prior to the last two years when he has dealt with injuries.  He hasn't started a single game this year.  Beyond this year, he's due an additional 2 years, $24.4M and could max out at 4 years, $58.4M.  Unless he can get back into the rotation and put up 3 WAR/year, I'm not sure how much he's going to be worth that.  Not a whole lot of surplus value if he continues to produce at the same rate he has in the bullpen.

I don't think we get anywhere close to his true value right now. Unless we get a package that values him as a solid starting pitcher (which is what he'll be for us when he's back to full strength), I wouldn't even entertain it. 

12 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Can we keep Edman starting once Carp comes back? Defense is definitely better and the bat has been better this season so far.

Hes been a nice infusion into the lineup, but he needs to prove hes more than Bo Hart if he is going to be taking playing time from a healthy Carp

23 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Hes been a nice infusion into the lineup, but he needs to prove hes more than Bo Hart if he is going to be taking playing time from a healthy Carp

Watched Carps rehab assignment last night. I’m a huge Carp fan but it was frustrating, he needs to swing the bat more. In the 4th inning he struck out on a 3-2 pitch, and didn’t get the bat off his shoulders once the entire AB and looked back at the ump twice. Swing the dang bat! 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?