The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

17 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Oh, I'm not saying they will.  But I'd definitely listen to phone calls on him.

And we're not a good manager away from being a playoff team.  We can't hit or pitch.

Couldn't agree more. The fact that some think a coaching change is going to suddenly make 3/4th of this line-up start hitting consistently and together is mind boggling to me. This is a roster construction and player issue at the forefront, with coaching behind that.

This organization is at a cross-roads most of us haven't seens since the early -mid 90's. They're staring down a complete roster overhaul and likely significant FO changes if the season pans out as we expect now.  

Contreras' great season is for sure over. I know we stink, but it hurts to lose a guy in the midst of a renaissance season. I know it says "8 weeks" but I can't imagine he's going to be able to hit well at all when he comes back. 

I went to the game on Saturday where it rained out on the last out of the 10th inning.  I also went last night, when Contreras broke his arm.  

This team stinks.  And it isn't fun to watch either.  Just feeling the vibe in the stadium, most of the people are turning on the team pretty quick, and despite whatever ticket sales number they trot out for attendance, the stadium is 2/3 full, tops.  

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Contreras' great season is for sure over. I know we stink, but it hurts to lose a guy in the midst of a renaissance season. I know it says "8 weeks" but I can't imagine he's going to be able to hit well at all when he comes back. 

Agreed.  I'd bet at best we see him ramp it up in mid-to-late August.  Unfortunately, the Cardinals will be well out of the mix by then.

8 hours ago, JonStark said:

If we get swept by the Mets, someone is losing their job. 

Saved by the rain out.  We've lost 7 out of our last 10 games.  Put a fork in them, they're done.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I went to the game on Saturday where it rained out on the last out of the 10th inning.  I also went last night, when Contreras broke his arm.  

This team stinks.  And it isn't fun to watch either.  Just feeling the vibe in the stadium, most of the people are turning on the team pretty quick, and despite whatever ticket sales number they trot out for attendance, the stadium is 2/3 full, tops.  

I don't think fans are turning on them pretty quickly. They have had more than enough time to get this fixed.

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

I don't think fans are turning on them pretty quickly. They have had more than enough time to get this fixed.

Fair point.  I mean, we don't have much patience for them.  We leave a guy on base or something and the crowd is ready to give up.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Fair point.  I mean, we don't have much patience for them.  We leave a guy on base or something and the crowd is ready to give up.  

Seems like the team feels that way too. Once we get down, the fight is immediately gone. 

Oli isn't the type of guy to get his guys back from adversity. If anything, his short temper and never taking accountability make it worse. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2024 at 6:57 PM, JonStark said:

Agreed. This has been last 2+ years in the making. I've said this and continue to say this. This is not just a simplet coaching change need that will turn this team around. This is an organizational philosophy and core roster difficency. 

if they continue down this path (which is likely), we're going to see significant turnover in the MLB coaching staff, The FO and the roster. Fans have finally reached their tipping point going back to last 2-3 months of lasts eason. You saw the empty seats and Cardinals slashing ticket prices for games. It's carried over into this season. There was an article that came out at end of April that showed their ticket sales and attendance numbers are the lowest they've been this season since 2007. 

That is when the ownership takes notice and is forced to make changes. When it impacts their revenue stream. 

• Like 1

We've now lost 9 of the last 11 games, and 6 in a row.  We're a joke.  The worst part is even if we did decide to rebuild, the only guys who probably have any real notable value is Sonny Gray, Ryan Helsley, and Nolan Arenado.  And Arenado probably only is going to accept a trade to the Dodgers.

• Like 1