The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

I dont know whether it be upset bc the Cards lost a game they shouldve won to go 2-2 and split the series with the best team in baseball OR just be like I didnt expect that Cards to win a game and just move on to the next series? The Cards arent going to beat the Dodgers or the Braves in the NL so if they play well enough to win or sneak a win then thats better than I can ask for as a fan. 

9 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont know whether it be upset bc the Cards lost a game they shouldve won to go 2-2 and split the series with the best team in baseball OR just be like I didnt expect that Cards to win a game and just move on to the next series? The Cards arent going to beat the Dodgers or the Braves in the NL so if they play well enough to win or sneak a win then thats better than I can ask for as a fan. 

Defintely disappointing to not get the series spil with a lead going into the 8th inning. Like you said though, not too concerned as the Dodgers are just a different animal and already ahead of most teasm in that they've had a series before this of meaningful baseball. 

It is concerning to me though to see the streakiness of the offense has carried over from last year thus far and that the BP (which I would have argued was our greatest asset) was not good in this series at all. 

Wilson Contreras has the highest OPS of any hitter in the MLB since 7/1/23. Let that sink in...

Oh and BTW, the Cardinals decision to have him go with the 'one knee down' approach while recieving is paying off huge dividends so far. His advanced framing stats have gone from one of the worst in the MLB to top (3) thus far. I realize it's early, but even if he becomes average-above average in this, it's a huge boost to his value.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Wilson Contreras has the highest OPS of any hitter in the MLB since 7/1/23. Let that sink in...

Oh and BTW, the Cardinals decision to have him go with the 'one knee down' approach while recieving is paying off huge dividends so far. His advanced framing stats have gone from one of the worst in the MLB to top (3) thus far. I realize it's early, but even if he becomes average-above average in this, it's a huge boost to his value.

And we have a guy to catch on his off days that isn't a complete black hole. Willson is looking good. I'm excited to see how it continues. 

3 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Marmol is an idiot. One of the worst managers in baseball. Also it seems like Walker hasn’t developed at all. Gorman as well.

Well this just isn’t true. You saw the improvements from Gorman last year. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Also it seems like Walker hasn’t developed at all. Gorman as well.

IDK how you came to that conclusion. Look at Gorman's numbers across the board from his 2022 campaign and his 2023 campaign. The numbers went up in pretty much every positive category and significantly in some. His defense took massive steps forward in 2023 as well. He was literally our poster child for our development program at MLB level. While he's off to a slow start thus far, we're talking about (26) ABs total on the season. He's always been a streaky hitter anyway. He'll have 2-3 weeks of swing/miss at everything and then he can carry an entire offfense for 2-3 weeks. It's just his nature and that's always been in his game. They're never going to be able to change that.

Walker had a great rookie campaign overall outside of his defense. The defense has already looked improvede early on this season.  He's going through some mechanical issues with his swing right now. Eduardo Perez noticed it right away the other day in an interview I heard with him. He said he could see Walker's front hip was 'leaking' out and causing him to roll over on everything away with no power. He said teams have picked up on that and are throwing him alot of off-speed stuff away because of it. I have no doubt we'll see him correct that and start hitting like we expect.