The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

20 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

This rotation looks legit 😂

The '23 Cardinals = '24 Cardinals

This whole team is flawed from top to bottom.  It's a team that wants to contend, but really needs a rebuild.

On 3/9/2024 at 2:18 PM, CWood21 said:

The '23 Cardinals = '24 Cardinals

This whole team is flawed from top to bottom.  It's a team that wants to contend, but really needs a rebuild.

I would change that to 're-tool'. They really just need an overhaul of the rotation. They did a good job of overhauling the BP this off-season, we still have a very promising offense, especially if younger players end up projecting as they should.

Now if Goldy and Arenado don't bounce back offensively to levels prior to 2023, then I think you might want to look at a full rebuild. 

7 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Extending Oli…. What the hell has happened to this franchise.

I've been one of the biggest FO supporters over the years up until the 2022 off-season. I thought the issues really started to come to a head at that time and the philospohy and roster construction/complacency was mind boggling. I gave them benefits of the doubt coming into this off-season, when it truely seemed they had learned from the disastourous 2023 season and at least vocally appeared they were ready to do what was necessary to improve the team and specifically it's biggest need. Then this off-season I saw how they spun it and what the results actually were.

They continue to make PR after PR after PR mistake with no regard. It's all the way up to ownership. There was ZERO need to extend the manager coming off the worst season we've had in 35+ years...

• Like 3

On 3/15/2024 at 12:37 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

They continue to make PR after PR after PR mistake with no regard. It's all the way up to ownership. There was ZERO need to extend the manager coming off the worst season we've had in 35+ years...

I hate the idea of a lame duck manager, but like you said no reason to reward mediocrity.

On 3/17/2024 at 9:15 AM, CWood21 said:

I hate the idea of a lame duck manager, but like you said no reason to reward mediocrity.

I'm in the same boat and if Oli and the team was coming off the same type of season they had in 2022 I wouldv'e understood their justification/spin (them saying they wanted to quiet the noise of Yadi taking over) and timing. 

The actual extension itself isn't really the issue, they can still easily move off of him as manager at any point in 2024 or beyond and only be out a few million. It's the timing and the PR gaffes they continue to make toward this fanbase. They already had a rocky (2) offseasons with roster contruction and multiple clubhouse issue handlings in season. Things were just starting to down with the fanbase having the season start to look forward to and then you re-ignite it with this move 1.5 weeks before the start. 

Just a another in a line of head scratching decision over the recent course from this organization's leaders.  

13 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Starting to look more and more like Victor Scott may have won the CF job coming out of ST. He's been starting and more imprtantly is not being subbed out later into the game. He's in CF again today and Carlson is in RF.

Seems early for him, but who knows? Maybe he's ready. We've seen way better hitters than Scott scuffle at the plate early in their career. Hopefully he's got the mettle to suck, because I can't imagine him hitting well in the bigs after never playing above AA. He sure is exciting, though. 

On 3/23/2024 at 9:06 AM, CWood21 said:

To nobody's surprise.  Although Victor Scott definitely boosted his prospect stock this ST.

I think we're making the right call with him. I don't want to stunt his development longterm. His still needs some refinement with the bat. 

Gotta remember he's only been in the minors for little over 12 months and only has 30 games above A ball.

Cardinals center fielder Dylan Carlson has been diagnosed with a sprained AC joint in his left shoulder following a collision with right fielder Jordan Walker during yesterday’s Grapefruit League game, president of baseball operations John Mozeliak announced to reporters Tuesday (X link via Bob Nightengale of USA Today). He’ll open the season on the injured list. In his place, the Cardinals will select the contract of outfield prospect Victor Scott. He’ll open the season in center field.

Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that Carlson’s absence will be measured in weeks, not months. As such, while the Cardinals will need to open a 40-man roster spot for Scott, placing Carlson on the 60-day IL seemingly won’t be a consideration when determining a corresponding move.