The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

6 hours ago, JonStark said:

I know but until he signs somewhere else, I'm always going to have that 1% of false hope. 😔

That percentage was already low to begin with, but the minute right before we signed Sony Gray was when it dropped to 0%

They wouldnt have signed Gray if there was still a chance to have Yoshi

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

That percentage was already low to begin with, but the minute right before we signed Sony Gray was when it dropped to 0%

They wouldnt have signed Gray if there was still a chance to have Yoshi

Well with the way the Dodgers structured Otani's contract, we could always try paying the next 3 generations of little Yamamotos. 

On 12/8/2023 at 4:38 PM, ttitansfan4life said:

I’m sure he’ll destroy that ballpark

Most likely, if he can stay healthy. Thta's always been his issue. 

Being a contract year for him, he'll probably rake and then sign a 3-4 year deal and be back to being hurt every other month and inconsistent production for the duration of the deal. 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 6:35 PM, CWood21 said:

Victor Santos looks like an organization arm at best.  Missed the entire '23 season with injury, and his stuff is underwhelming.  Appears to throw strikes consistently.  Fastball in the low 90s, probably more of a sinker.  Seems to have an inconsistent slider.  Maybe best case Matt Bowman without the severe groundball tendencies.  Robertson is a bit more promising, although nothing more than a relief arm.  Originally drafted by the Dodgers, but traded to Boston last season.  Fastball in the mid 90s with some movement on it.  Should be at least above-average.  Changeup pairs well when control is there, but that's inconsistent.  Slider isn't very good, probably isn't anything more than a show-me pitch.

I actually like Robertson. His underlying numbers are much better (really good swing/miss rate on the change-up and FB) and he ran into some bad luck based on his BABIP.

I think he's got a good shot to be an effective late inning reliever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StLunatic88 said:

You mean over pay for the same product just for the name on the packaging?

Not just that, but Aldi actually controls what they sell and have much better quality control over organic items, etc.

There products are actually better than most name brand grocery chains that just cary/sell other manufacturers' items vs. Aldi's prvate label. 

I get what @holt_bruce81 was going for, I just don't thiunk Aldi was the right reference point choice lol. Not the same Aldi from 1990's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Not just that, but Aldi actually controls what they sell and have much better quality control over organic items, etc.

There products are actually better than most name brand grocery chains that just cary/sell other manufacturers' items vs. Aldi's prvate label. 

I get what @holt_bruce81 was going for, I just don't thiunk Aldi was the right reference point choice lol. Not the same Aldi from 1990's. 

Maybe Kroger?

Good summary here from Fangraphs on our rule 5 addition - Ryan fernandez. Sounds like he's got a real chance to fill the Chris Stratton role froma year ago:

“Fernandez is a single-inning relief prospect with some of the best stuff of anyone available in this year’s Rule 5 draft. He began 2023 on the injured list but was quickly bumped up to Triple-A once he was healthy. His four-seamer sits 94-96 mph and touches 97. To call his cutter a secondary would be misleading, as it surpassed his fastball usage at Triple-A, accounting for 48% of the pitches he threw at that level and inducing a 47% chase rate. His use of his gyroscopic slider dipped in 2023, but when he did throw it, it earned him a combined 63% whiffs (73% at Triple-A), and that kind of bat-missing ability is, ironically, nothing to shake a stick at. His strike-throwing ability makes him very likely to stick on St. Louis’ roster and contribute in a middle-inning capacity. This was the first relief-only pitcher to come off the board in the draft and is the one we feel most confident will have a good 2024. “

Some potentially positive news:

One of MLB’s bigger off-field stories of the past year has been the bankruptcy of Diamond Sports Group. The conglomerate’s struggles to meet its broadcasting deals has left teams contracted with Diamond — which operates the Bally Sports regional networks — in uncertain positions about the revenues they can expect from their local television contracts. That has been reflected in a few clubs (e.g. Padres, Rangers, Twins) cutting or plateauing spending.

As Diamond’s bankruptcy process continues, Lauren Thomas and Joe Flint of the Wall Street Journal report that the corporation is engaged with Amazon about a potential multi-year streaming agreement. The discussions, which are not complete and would need to be approved by the bankruptcy court even if Diamond and Amazon reach an agreement, would see Amazon invest in Diamond with a goal of eventually acquiring streaming rights for teams on those broadcasts.

11 hours ago, JonStark said:

Cool. Missed out on Matsui too. 

Great offseason so far. 

I mean, is anyone really surprised?  They made a "big" swing with Gray, and two solid singles with Gibson and Lynn.  But this is a team that lost 91 games last year.  Looks like a ~.500 team at best.