The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

18 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like the Kittredge trade. He’s got a good chance to be one of our top relief guys. He’ll be at least a good 7th inning guy, but I think he’ll be the setup guy. Adding a high leverage reliever for our #5 or 6 OF is a good deal. I hope we keep adding.

Same here. I think it's a good get and we're selling high on Palacios. You just always have in the back of your mind what the Rays see in him though after our past dealings with OFs...

• Like 1

I love the Chaim Bloom addition as an advisor to Mo. We needed a set of fresh eyes coming in from outside the organization. 

Don't let his tenure in Boston fool you, he is highly well respected around the league and he did a lot of good with Tampa's development and turning Boston's farm system into what it is now from nothing when he got there. 

23 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I love the Chaim Bloom addition as an advisor to Mo. We needed a set of fresh eyes coming in from outside the organization. 

Don't let his tenure in Boston fool you, he is highly well respected around the league and he did a lot of good with Tampa's development and turning Boston's farm system into what it is now from nothing when he got there. 

Is he more of a farm system development kind of guy? Or does he do more with the big squad? I've never heard of him.

30 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Is he more of a farm system development kind of guy? Or does he do more with the big squad? I've never heard of him.

He was a key cog of the Tampa Bay FO until he was hired as Boston's GM in 2019. With Tampa, he was one of the responsible people for them essentially developing the idea of frequent shifting (which rest of basebal soon followed) and use of the 'opener' for SP's. He also had a big part in their drafting and development during that period and we all saw how well they were at that. His greatest accomplishment though might of been his hand in helping the Rays develop and implement their pitching lab, which has earned him high regards across the league with both agents, players and execs. 

He didn't have a lot of success as the GM in Boston, but I think it's two fold. They essentially brought him in to rebuild their farm system (which he did - he took them from bottom five system to a top five system in less than 4 years), but he's remembered for the Mookie trade and essentially not getting near enough. TBF though, I don't put that all on him. Ownership essentially forced his hand and took away a big part of any leverage he had. He also wasn't a big spender in FA for them, but again i don't think that was solely on him, as I think ownership wanted to cut payroll some after Dombrowski's era and he was the face of that.  

With the Cardinals, I think plan is not to box him into any one area. He's going to be involved in the draft and player development side, he's also going to be involved in finding best ways coaches/staff can get useful data and information to players, he's going to be a fresh voice in potential roster acquisitions and player movement, etc.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He was a key cog of the Tampa Bay FO until he was hired as Boston's GM in 2019. With Tampa, he was one of the responsible people for them essentially developing the idea of frequent shifting (which rest of basebal soon followed) and use of the 'opener' for SP's. He also had a big part in their drafting and development during that period and we all saw how well they were at that. His greatest accomplishment though might of been his hand in helping the Rays develop and implement their pitching lab, which has earned him high regards across the league with both agents, players and execs. 

He didn't have a lot of success as the GM in Boston, but I think it's two fold. They essentially brought him in to rebuild their farm system (which he did - he took them from bottom five system to a top five system in less than 4 years), but he's remembered for the Mookie trade and essentially not getting near enough. TBF though, I don't put that all on him. Ownership essentially forced his hand and took away a big part of any leverage he had. He also wasn't a big spender in FA for them, but again i don't think that was solely on him, as I think ownership wanted to cut payroll some after Dombrowski's era and he was the face of that.  

With the Cardinals, I think plan is not to box him into any one area. He's going to be involved in the draft and player development side, he's also going to be involved in finding best ways coaches/staff can get useful data and information to players, he's going to be a fresh voice in potential roster acquisitions and player movement, etc.  

Great insight! There's also a good writeup on VEB about him. They were really pumping up his ability to build a pitching staff. They also pointed out how badly we've done on that in the last half decade. It seems like we can find hitters everywhere, but we've lost our ability to build a pitching staff. After reading yours, and the VEB, ideas about his hiring, I'm much more optimistic about the future of the squad. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 10:32 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Not that he wont be impacting the club right now, but its quite the cushy gig for now.

Seems to me like more of a Holding Deal to be Mo's Heir Apparent in the next few years. (they would never let Grisch have any real power). And this is just to make sure no one else snatches him up in the meantime.

19 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Seems to me like more of a Holding Deal to be Mo's Heir Apparent in the next few years. (they would never let Grisch have any real power). And this is just to make sure no one else snatches him up in the meantime.

The tea leaves definitely line-up that way, with Mo's deal only running through 2025. I'm just not sure Bloom hangs around that long. 

20 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

The tea leaves definitely line-up that way, with Mo's deal only running through 2025. I'm just not sure Bloom hangs around that long. 

Not usually, I’d agree. But if they have set up a succession plan, and told him you’re the GM in waiting? I’d think he hangs out a year or two longer than he would normally, and then if Mo breaks his word, you bail then. But not until then

28 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not usually, I’d agree. But if they have set up a succession plan, and told him you’re the GM in waiting? I’d think he hangs out a year or two longer than he would normally, and then if Mo breaks his word, you bail then. But not until then

Unless a more enticing role/position becomes available outside the organization that wasn't there before. That's typically what happens with those succession plans. 

• 2 weeks later...

On so many levels, this is a dumb signing.  This is why nobody believes in the FO.  There's absolutely ZERO reason to sign him to any kind of deal other than a 1 day contract for him to retire a Cardinal.  He's been an awful hitter for the better part of the last 3 years except when he was playing for the Yankees.  Defensively, he can't play anything other than 1B or DH at this point.  And I'd rather just use the DH position to give our guys a day off rather than wasting a roster spot on him.

• Like 2

I don’t dislike the Carpenter signing. We’re paying him basically nothing. He can still kind of hit righties. I don’t know if we have anyone better than him that he’d be blocking. Maybe Luken Baker? I’d rather see a nostalgia mustache get one AB a week over 1 AB for Luken Baker. Someone else might be down there that I’m missing, so I could be wrong in thinking this.

….I have the right to change my mind if/when Carpenter is hitting .076 while getting regular ABs in September. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really starting to question this roster construction this off-season. Why are we looking to add this guy, after we just picked up Carpenter and already have Burleson and Donovan who can play 1B. Just a waste of a 40-man spot...

Really hope Gomez isn't the latest OF to not get a real shot/look here then move on and flourish somewhere else. 

Jan. 29: 1B/OF Alfonso Rivas claimed off waivers; OF Moisés Gómez designated for assignment

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I'm really starting to question this roster construction this off-season. Why are we looking to add this guy, after we just picked up Carpenter and already have Burleson and Donovan who can play 1B. Just a waste of a 40-man spot...

Really hope Gomez isn't the latest OF to not get a real shot/look here then move on and flourish somewhere else. 

I mean, were talking about #38-38-40 on the roster here? Does it really matter? 

I personally am not worried about moves like this while Marmol is still the Coach, because hes going to hold us back before a the last man on the 40 down in Memphis does