The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Nolan Gorman (our 1st round pick this year) was named MaxPrep's national HS Player of the Year yesterday. Congrats to him...

Also, in case you haven't noticed Gorman so far - 5 HR's in 5 games at Johnson City...

He's playing incredibly well.  A bit too much swing and miss, but that was to be expected.  But he's walking (17.9% BB%) and a wRC+ of 184.  Granted it's in a small sample size, he could be getting a promotion in a month or so.

Do any of you guys follow the gulf coast cardinals at all? I’m curious as to why Terry Fuller isn’t getting many at bats. I’ve asked on Reddit and I’ve tweeted at VeB and I’ve not heard anything. 

Hes only got 8 at bats but he’s hitting .400 with a HR and two SB. Was he injured? I hate trying to figure things out about low minor leaguers lol

51 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do any of you guys follow the gulf coast cardinals at all? I’m curious as to why Terry Fuller isn’t getting many at bats. I’ve asked on Reddit and I’ve tweeted at VeB and I’ve not heard anything. 

Hes only got 8 at bats but he’s hitting .400 with a HR and two SB. Was he injured? I hate trying to figure things out about low minor leaguers lol

You'd have to assume it's because of injury.  I'd argue he's the second biggest OF prospect on that team behind Victor Garcia.  You're probably not going to get much unless you can find a local beat writer.

23 hours ago, CWood21 said:

You'd have to assume it's because of injury.  I'd argue he's the second biggest OF prospect on that team behind Victor Garcia.  You're probably not going to get much unless you can find a local beat writer.

He’s apparently slimmed down quite a bit too. His weight was listed at 240 when he was drafted but it shows 210 now. It would be nice if he could stay in the OF. 

Dylan Carlson, Luken Baker, Gorman, Fuller

That’s some real power potential in the lower system.

Elehuris Montero with his 11th home run today in Peoria. Dude is having a great season so far. 

.323 BA, 11 homers, 55 RBI, 19 doubles, 3 triples, 151 wRC+ 

Definitely someone to keep an eye on, only 19 years old. And from the little I’ve heard, he’s got the glove to stick at 3rd Base. 

17 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Elehuris Montero with his 11th home run today in Peoria. Dude is having a great season so far. 

.323 BA, 11 homers, 55 RBI, 19 doubles, 3 triples, 151 wRC+ 

Definitely someone to keep an eye on, only 19 years old. And from the little I’ve heard, he’s got the glove to stick at 3rd Base. 

He's already thickened and stiffened up as a 19 year old.  Almost surely a 1B.  But that bat does indeed look really good.  

3 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

He's already thickened and stiffened up as a 19 year old.  Almost surely a 1B.  But that bat does indeed look really good.  

Every report I've seen has him staying at 3B at least for the near future.  He'll probably move across the diamond later in his career, but I think he's a 3B prospect.  Obviously, nobody is going to convince me he's a GG-caliber defender, but he should be serviceable.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Every report I've seen has him staying at 3B at least for the near future.  He'll probably move across the diamond later in his career, but I think he's a 3B prospect.  Obviously, nobody is going to convince me he's a GG-caliber defender, but he should be serviceable.

That's not what I've seen in the few MWL games I've caught on milb.tv, nor the reports from guys I've spoken to who frequently go to the games there.  I've only caught 2 games, but what I saw echoed what I had been told.  The bat could be something though.  He had a good idea of the strike zone and showed some really nice raw power.  I'm not pleased that he's in your system.

9 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder what kind of deal Jose Martinez would get us if we made him available at the deadline? He seems like a great fit in the AL and looks to be the real deal at the plate. 

Jose Martinez and Miles Mikolas are probably our two biggest pieces we have to trade. I’m hoping Mo doesn’t F this deadline up and actually ships some of these guys off. Im not even about to predict what we could get, I mean Who would of thought we could get Tyler O’Neil for Mike Leake. 

40 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Jose Martinez and Miles Mikolas are probably our two biggest pieces we have to trade. I’m hoping Mo doesn’t F this deadline up and actually ships some of these guys off. Im not even about to predict what we could get, I mean Who would of thought we could get Tyler O’Neil for Mike Leake. 

Problem with trading Jose Martinez is he's strictly limited to the AL as a DH + who are the teams that actually need a DH? Most of the contending teams in the AL are already set there and not sure they'd be willing to part with big pieces for a 31 year old with relatively limited experience...

I don't think we'd get anywhere close to the value he brings as a hitter to our club...

2 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

We didn't.  We got Tyler O'Neill for Marco Gonzales.