The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Never thought they'd actually do it in season,  but glad to see it. This last news with Bud Norris/Jordan Hicks was the nail in the coffin.

It was essentially strike 3 with player issues (Molina rift last year, Fowler issue this whole year and then this). Obviously, the losing as well...

I think the next manager hire is gonna be total new school...

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Never thought they'd actually do it in season,  but glad to see it. This last news with Bud Norris/Jordan Hicks was the nail in the coffin.

It was essentially strike 3 with player issues (Molina rift last year, Fowler issue this whole year and then this). Obviously, the losing as well...

I think the next manager hire is gonna be total new school...

That was my initial thought.  Really didn't believe that the Cardinals had the cajones to make this move in-season.  Figured they'd wait until the offseason to do so.  Probably a year and a half too late, but glad it's done.  I think depending on how the Cardinals do until now and the deadline we could see the Cardinals actually become sellers, which quite frankly I think some in the FO have been clamoring to do so.

9 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

We're not hiring anyone until the offseason, so lot will change between then and now. Who knows who else will become available, or how well this team responds for Schildt...

I’m excited to see what Schildt can do. Thought it was a bit insulting when Mark Saxon asked Dewitt about the next manager he’s going to hire, while Schildt is sitting right next to him. 

Already noticed some minor changes in just one game. The first being, Him not hesitating to take Bader out even though it looked like he was wanting to stay in. Matheny would of likely never done that. But Schildt’s true test will be when it happens to a Carpenter or a Molina. And another thing I loved Was him pitching Gant for 4 innings out of the Pen. I know Matheny definitely wouldn’t of done that. 

Everything Ive read/heard about Schildt seems to be positive and he sounds like a great baseball mind. And if you guys follow some of the twitter guys, they’re pretty stoked about the two guys they’re bringing in to be the teams hitting coach. 

17 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m excited to see what Schildt can do. Thought it was a bit insulting when Mark Saxon asked Dewitt about the next manager he’s going to hire, while Schildt is sitting right next to him. 

Already noticed some minor changes in just one game. The first being, Him not hesitating to take Bader out even though it looked like he was wanting to stay in. Matheny would of likely never done that. But Schildt’s true test will be when it happens to a Carpenter or a Molina. And another thing I loved Was him pitching Gant for 4 innings out of the Pen. I know Matheny definitely wouldn’t of done that. 

Everything Ive read/heard about Schildt seems to be positive and he sounds like a great baseball mind. And if you guys follow some of the twitter guys, they’re pretty stoked about the two guys they’re bringing in to be the teams hitting coach. 

No doubt. I really like that they turned to Schildt. Much more of an analytics/new school mind vs. What we've had previously in Matheny and LaRussa. Will be interesting to see if Fowler, Ozuna and Wong start to take off now...

Oquendo has to be miffed he got passed over again...

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

No doubt. I really like that they turned to Schildt. Much more of an analytics/new school mind vs. What we've had previously in Matheny and LaRussa. Will be interesting to see if Fowler, Ozuna and Wong start to take off now...

Oquendo has to be miffed he got passed over again...

Honestly, I don't think Oquendo really wants the gig.

2 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I really wish we could just clean house at the deadline. Honestly dont care if we are taking .50 on the dollar for some of these guys

I think it was Saxon who said there were many in the Cardinals' FO who wanted to rebuild.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I think it was Saxon who said there were many in the Cardinals' FO who wanted to rebuild.

I think you're right, plus in their presser Mo and Dewitt used "hit the reset button" terminology a good amount and didn't shy away from the rebuild questions.

• I feel like alot of teams are about to be disappointed in the Machado sweepstakes, and one of those teams with some positional flexibility (i.e. the Dimondbacks) could be interested in Matt Carpenter. Plus he would cost a whole hell of alot less in a trade than Manny, with one extra year of control.
  • I also see some AL teams who could really use a bat that would be real smart to jump on Jose Martinez. The Mariners seem like a great match, especially since we have been partners on 'better fit" trades recently
  • Most contending teams have their CF, but a fringe team could always use an OF Bat, and a cheap ($) Pham could be interesting, could really help that terrible defense in Colorado.
  • After the start to the season that Mikolas has had, he could bring back a pretty decent package, as it looks like the Starting pitching market is next to nothing this deadline. (Wacha could have been in the same boat, but with the injury he isnt close to ready)
  • The bullpen trio of Norris, Cecil and Holland could be of interest (as PB arms always are at the deadline), but the returns would be minimal. I would really just like to get out from the $15m remaining on Cecil, and just give me whatever back.
  • Kolton Wong and Carson Kelly should both be moved, but they seem more like offseason/winter meeting moves. Surprisingly multiple contenders need Catchers, so maybe we see something there?
  • Id like to hang onto Jedd until we have secured a longer term solution at 3B, but if someone really wants him, it wouldnt hurt to part ways.
  • And Dexter Fowler is just a situation that has no good answer right now.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?