The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

20 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I think you're right, plus in their presser Mo and Dewitt used "hit the reset button" terminology a good amount and didn't shy away from the rebuild questions.

I'd be leery about making the assumption that the reference to "hit the reset button" means they're going to rebuild.  I think it means they got away from who they were, and they want to return who they were.  The clubhouse is likely borderline toxic given how bad it's gotten over the last year or so.

20 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I feel like alot of teams are about to be disappointed in the Machado sweepstakes, and one of those teams with some positional flexibility (i.e. the Dimondbacks) could be interested in Matt Carpenter. Plus he would cost a whole hell of alot less in a trade than Manny, with one extra year of control.

• I also see some AL teams who could really use a bat that would be real smart to jump on Jose Martinez. The Mariners seem like a great match, especially since we have been partners on 'better fit" trades recently
  • Most contending teams have their CF, but a fringe team could always use an OF Bat, and a cheap ($) Pham could be interesting, could really help that terrible defense in Colorado.
  • After the start to the season that Mikolas has had, he could bring back a pretty decent package, as it looks like the Starting pitching market is next to nothing this deadline. (Wacha could have been in the same boat, but with the injury he isnt close to ready)
  • The bullpen trio of Norris, Cecil and Holland could be of interest (as PB arms always are at the deadline), but the returns would be minimal. I would really just like to get out from the $15m remaining on Cecil, and just give me whatever back.
  • Kolton Wong and Carson Kelly should both be moved, but they seem more like offseason/winter meeting moves. Surprisingly multiple contenders need Catchers, so maybe we see something there?
  • Id like to hang onto Jedd until we have secured a longer term solution at 3B, but if someone really wants him, it wouldnt hurt to part ways.
  • And Dexter Fowler is just a situation that has no good answer right now.

Not sure there's going to be a huge market for Matt Carpenter, unless teams want to play him at 1B.  Arizona seems like an obvious fit, but aside from them I'm not sure there's a real strong fit.  The Yankees could improve their position, but I don't think they're moving on from Miguel Andujar.  Rafael Devers has been pretty bad for the Red Sox, but unless they plan on putting him back in the minors not sure they're looking at Carpenter.  Braves seem like a potential fit.

I'd probably hold onto Pham until the offseason, and hope he recover his value.  We'd be selling low on him.  Miles Mikolas seems flippable though.  Not sure any of those relievers bring back much of anything.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure there's going to be a huge market for Matt Carpenter, unless teams want to play him at 1B.

I still think a contender would love to slot him in at 2B. Especially some of these teams after Machado, just looking for a MIF Bat. Like the Dbacks can shift the Infield and slid Carp right into 2nd.

31 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably hold onto Pham until the offseason, and hope he recover his value.  We'd be selling low on him.  Miles Mikolas seems flippable though.  Not sure any of those relievers bring back much of anything.

Were not getting Peak Value for all of our guys, or else we would be a contender. I understand trying to hang onto Pham, but I think you either have to commit to him or move him, dont play this in the middle any longer, its only getting worse.

And of course the Relievers arent bringing much back, but we arent hanging onto them either. Id just like to try and reset the culture, and some of these Vet relievers arent doing us any favors. And like I said, Cecil is just moving his money out.

Both Joel Sherman and Derrick Goold mentioned today possibility of Carlos Martinez to the Yankees. He's exactly what they want and they have the farm system we would look to pillage. 

Seems like a great fit on paper, don't see us pulling that trigger though. That would be unprecedented territory. 

57 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Both Joel Sherman and Derrick Goold mentioned today possibility of Carlos Martinez to the Yankees. He's exactly what they want and they have the farm system we would look to pillage. 

Seems like a great fit on paper, don't see us pulling that trigger though. That would be unprecedented territory. 

That's scary/exciting. I'd hate to lose Carlos but I can't even imagine the haul we'd get back.

58 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Who excites you guys from the Yankees? Andujar? Frazier? Maybe Sheffield? I doubt they trade Torres.

To get a guy like Carlos anyone would have to be on the table. Remember, you're talking about a guy who just turned 26 and is already a number one type with filthy stuff. Plus he's team controlled until 2023 and inexpensive now and will only get better on both ends (production and cost efficiency).

That is insanely valuable. 

To answer the question though, my package starts with Andujar and Sheffield and builds from there. I'd probably want one of Florial or Frazier as well, but even more than that...

Edited by kgarrett12486

12 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

While it’s nice to think of what Carlos could get us, I’d rather just keep him. He’s young and I don’t really see us in a big multi-season tank. I bet we’ll be bad for a year but I doubt we’ll have a sustained bad streak.

I'm not saying the Cardinals should deal him, but if a team is willing to give up a haul for him I'd seriously consider moving him.

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm not saying the Cardinals should deal him, but if a team is willing to give up a haul for him I'd seriously consider moving him.

That haul from the Yankees would need to be atleast Andujar+Frazier+Sheffield and probably more for the talent/control we would be giving up in Carlos

Sounds like it's going to be a boring trade deadline.  I get the Cardinals don't want to "rebuild", but it needs to be done.  Playing .500 ball isn't going to get the Cardinals anywhere but no man's land.  Sounds like they need to be overwhelmed to move any of their SP, but they need to take the best offer on Miles Mikolas.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Matt Carpenter just had the best hitting performance I can remember of any Cardinal for a game. 5-5 with 3 HRs and 2 doubles. He also set franchise record for lead off HRs and homered in 4 straight games.

He's been unreal since late May...

Albert had a similar game back in 2004 at Wrigley. 

5-5 with 3 homers and a double. 

Montero has 3 hits last night, including 2 homers and added 3 more hits tonight. Currently has a slash line of...

.318/.374/.519/.893 

86 games, 13 homers, 20 doubles, 3 triples 

He’s absolutely crushing the Midwest League. Hoping he stays down there the rest of the year and just starts next year in Springfield. Skip High-A completely, the FSL is brutal on hitters. Which is why it’s pretty damn impressive to see what Dylan Carlson is doing down there.