The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

4 hours ago, chris00cm said:

I wish more teams would do what you're referring to as a bad move. Saves relievers.
I think in the future teams will get off this 5-man rotation norm, and start having a roster full of relievers that can play the matchups all game. It's cheap and really could be an effective way to attack a roster. Rotating pitchers into the field and then back on the mound would be a nice supplement to that approach. Rays are the pioneers of this movement, and I don't expect it to stop any time soon.

Ehh, I dont expect it to catch on anytime soon. You would have to have proof it works (which at this point we dont have) for anyone other than a team with nothing to loose to implement this.

Starters are here to stay (especially if the rumblings of limiting pitching moves actually takes hold), I would see a 6 man rotation implemented sooner than the cluster that you are describing.

3 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I’m more talking about him hitting La Stella 3rd yesterday lol 

That was a combination of KB getting a much needed day off (he's been terrible for like a month now), not wanting to shift everyone else from their accustomed batting spot, and TLS being like 5 for 5 previously in his lifetime against Chacin. That was actually a pretty defensible move.  It's Joe's misuse of the pitching staff that is going to send me to an early grave.  But as Cards fans, you guys can feel my pain there.  

Still waiting on a few numbers to come out.  Haven't gotten word yet on the details of the signing bonus that Matt Duce (9th round pick) and Kevin Woodall Jr. (10th round pick).  Both were college seniors, and last year the Cardinals handed out 3k bonus to those types of picks.  If you assume that they get that contract, and Steven Gingery whose our lone pick in the top 10 signs for slot we've got roughly 401.8k left to play with on top of the slotted bonus of 125k.  So the Cardinals could offer a bonus of almost 527k.  It's highly unlikely that'd buy Jaden Hill out of his commitment to LSU.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehh, I dont expect it to catch on anytime soon. You would have to have proof it works (which at this point we dont have) for anyone other than a team with nothing to loose to implement this.

Starters are here to stay (especially if the rumblings of limiting pitching moves actually takes hold), I would see a 6 man rotation implemented sooner than the cluster that you are describing.

Rays have been one of the best in the league in the last month with Archer only making two starts, Blake Snell, and Nathan Eovaldi in their starting rotation. 

Other pitchers who have started during that time:
Wilmer Font
Sergio Romo
Ryne Stanek
Jonny Venters (!!)
Ryan Yarbrough

Impressive.

In their last 30 games (which starts their 6 game winning streak to get them back to .500) they have gone 16-14 including an 8 game losing streak. So no, not really all that impressive.

Those kind of results do not inspire any sort of shift in thinking. It just shows that you can be average. No winning teams will be taking that approach full time. Now if you want to say some may toss a BullPen start in every 5 days? yea maybe that works to give starters some more rest (or you only need/can afford 4 full time starters) but that is a very different argument that this attempt that they Rays are making.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’m loving this power influx the FO has been bringing in through the draft. Baker, Gorman, and Terry Fuller last year. I know Fuller is the longest of long shots but he has stupid raw power. With that and all of our young pitching the future is looking bright.

It's pretty clear the FO isn't interested in giving up the prospect haul it'd take to get to those power hitters.  I mean, it's literally pick 3 or 4 of your top prospects.

11 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I'll be in attendance tonight against the second most heinous ursine themed Chicago team.  I don't have a very good record this season, but Ozuna has destroyed the ball every time I have been at the game... I probably jinxed that now.

5 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Greg Holland is coming off the DL today. If he can somehow find it (and no I’m not holding my breath, and yes I saw His rehab numbers) our Pen could actually be decent the 2nd half of the year. 

Gonna take more than just him. Gotta think we're going to likely lose Hicks at some point, he's gotta be on a games cap as a RP...

I think we're going to be looking to fortify the BP near the deadline...

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?