The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

How? The only reson he even fell to us was because he was on the Juice. It was a 50/50 gamble at best

Even so, go back and looking at the scouting reports on him. Scouts thought that he may not have the power aspect from the PEDs, but most thought he still offered a solid hit tool for the position, outstanding speed to steal and excellent defense.

He's failed to live up to 3/4 of those billings and has regressed in every pro year...

He's the definition of disappointment, as most thought his floor was higher than this let alone his ceiling...

57 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Even so, go back and looking at the scouting reports on him. Scouts thought that he may not have the power aspect from the PEDs, but most thought he still offered a solid hit tool for the position, outstanding speed to steal and excellent defense.

He's failed to live up to 3/4 of those billings and has regressed in every pro year...

He's the definition of disappointment, as most thought his floor was higher than this let alone his ceiling...

I feel like after the PED issues, he was totally boom or bust. No one knew what his floor was anymore. But we had seen what that ceiling could be. He was drafted on purely potential (as we had nothing to base his performances on anymore) and anyone drafted on that does not have a high floor

On 5/8/2019 at 7:54 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Man, Delvin Perez has absolutely zero power. 

Hitting .355 this month, batting .287 on the season with a .323 OBP, by far his best stats of his career....but of his 27 hits on the season, 26 of them are singles. And his K/BB% are terrible. 

Dude is a toothpick. 

He was never going to develop power, unless his bodytype changed drastically.  And if his bodytype changed, the type of player he was drafted as would be totally different.  If he filled out, he was going to end up as one of the bigger SS who got moved off of SS and over to 3B.  He's going to be more a turn singles into doubles than someone whose going to consistently hit with gap power.  I'm more alarmed with the SB/CS ratio.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'd take a solid contact SS that plays amazing defense. It stinks he probably won't turn into Lindor, but he might still be a good player. 

Agreed.  If he's playing strong defense and routinely putting the ball in play, I'm okay with that at the SS position.  If he was a poor man's Lindor, I'd be stoked.

Some minor league stuff...

Julio Rodriguez continues to rake, 3/3 today raising his BA to .376 on the season. O’Neil has 4 home runs in like 7 games down in Memphis but still has that nasty K-Rate (27.7%). 

Randy Arozarena came off the IL today and started at DH for AA Springfield. That Springfield lineup could be fun to watch with Carlson, Justin Williams, Randy and Mendoza. 

Speaking of Springfield, Ronnie Williams even though only a few appearances has looked impressive out of the bullpen. 

And in case no ones been following....Carlos Martinez has made two appearances out of Memphis’ Bullpen...

2.0 ip, 1 hit, 0 runs, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts 

Edited by holt_bruce81

Jhon Torres OF and Malcom Nunez 3B have been added to the Peoria Chiefs roster  

Damn that’s gonna be a fun lineup to watch...

ivan Herrera, Nolan Gorman. Delvin Perez. Brady Whalen....aNd now Torres and Nunez! 

MLB.com ranks Torres and Nunez our 4th and 5th best prospects in the system. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

34 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Jhon Torres OF and Malcom Nunez 3B have been added to the Peoria Chiefs roster  

Damn that’s gonna be a fun lineup to watch...

ivan Herrera, Nolan Gorman. Delvin Perez. Brady Whalen....aNd now Torres and Nunez! 

MLB.com ranks Torres and Nunez our 4th and 5th best prospects in the system. 

I wonder how the defense will shake out with Nunez and Gorman. That should be good for their versatility. They could probably see some time at 1st and in the COF. 

19 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

If the Cardinals are so set in stone on Carlos in the BP, I think Ponce Needs some starts. 

I'd agree with that. Hudson just seems to be missing something. He's going to need offensive performances like today to get any wins, and at that point anyone is going to be getting wins. I think Ponce might be heading up soon. Reyes should be in line for some starts too if he can ever figure out how to pitch again. 

On 5/10/2019 at 4:32 PM, CWood21 said:

He was never going to develop power, unless his bodytype changed drastically.  And if his bodytype changed, the type of player he was drafted as would be totally different.  If he filled out, he was going to end up as one of the bigger SS who got moved off of SS and over to 3B.  He's going to be more a turn singles into doubles than someone whose going to consistently hit with gap power.  I'm more alarmed with the SB/CS ratio.

Not talking HR power here. But I’d like to see a little more XBH from Perez. Because he has a total of 1 on the season. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

43 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

He was lights out as a RP...

I think his stats looked good but his underlying advanced metrics weren't great. I think a lot of Hudson's performance last year was a bit flukey. Someone smarter with analytics would need to describe this more in depth, but that's my understanding. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder how the defense will shake out with Nunez and Gorman. That should be good for their versatility. They could probably see some time at 1st and in the COF. 

I think Nolan Gorman is going to get the majority of the starts at 3B, but they could try him out in the OF.

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?