The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

So we make the Waino deal official (don’t hate that) and immediately whispers that Yadi will be done shortly. While those are Redbird Legends, it doesn’t really inspire much confidence for 2021

So what does the playbook call for then? Oh yea, let’s dust off the Arenado rumors! That will get them off our backs and the buzz going again. But make sure to let them know that nothing is close to done. Don’t want them to expect it to actually happen

More big news. There continues to be smoke around this potential fire...

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals have had trade discussions with the Rockies involving Nolan Arenado. 

Rosenthal notes that no deal appears to be close, and that compensation is unknown at this point. He also writes that sources seem unsure on the stage of the trade, but some believe that "the Rockies are motivated to move him and the Cardinals are motivated to acquire him."

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

More big news. There continues to be smoke around this potential fire...

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals have had trade discussions with the Rockies involving Nolan Arenado. 

Rosenthal notes that no deal appears to be close, and that compensation is unknown at this point. He also writes that sources seem unsure on the stage of the trade, but some believe that "the Rockies are motivated to move him and the Cardinals are motivated to acquire him."

It'd be interesting to know what the deal is if it comes to fruition.  I believe the latest iteration of the rumor was a high priced veteran plus some prospects.  That presumably would mean either Matt Carpenter or Dexter Fowler going to Colorado plus some prospects.  I probably wouldn't up Dylan Carlson, Nolan Gorman, or Matt Liberatore in an Arenado deal.

It's sounding more and more like something is actually brewing here...

Jon Morosi of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals' and Rockies' trade talks regarding Nolan Arenado "have gained momentum in the last week."

Jayson Stark of The Athletic also tweeted earlier Friday regarding the Arenado rumors that "Cardinals players have been buzzing about this with each other for several weeks."

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

It's sounding more and more like something is actually brewing here...

I still have my reservations that this will get done, but now there’s some whispers out there that this might be a bigger package than just Arenado. That has me intrigued.  Would that be more to us? A multi team trade?

As far as what we would send out, I’ve always thought Colorado might be one of the few teams Fowler might wave that NTC for

Yadi and Waino I’m kind of eh on... Wish we had a WS level roster to give them a big send off but still not seeing it with this team even after getting Arenado. Some players would have to make huge leaps in their development(Carlson) and require players like Fowler, Bader, and Carpenter to not suck. Plus I don’t see a strong enough rotation or bullpen. Not sure what else we could do to add to this roster either.