The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

53 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

but I wish they would take a run at Trevor Bauer.

Ehhh, I still think there is a whole lot unknown about that whole situation. I know he posted his Twitter video, but no one is reporting on it, feels like theres more to it than what he has laid out there, even if things werent as bad as once portrayed

To me I think its obvious who we are going after, Aaron Nola or Sonny Gray. They are guys we've been linked to forever, and they are clear front line guys, while not being at the tippy top of the budget.

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Ehhh, I still think there is a whole lot unknown about that whole situation. I know he posted his Twitter video, but no one is reporting on it, feels like theres more to it than what he has laid out there, even if things werent as bad as once portrayed

To me I think its obvious who we are going after, Aaron Nola or Sonny Gray. They are guys we've been linked to forever, and they are clear front line guys, while not being at the tippy top of the budget.

There has been reporting on it though. There is always going to be a lot of unknown in regards to what actually happened that night, as there are really only (2) people who know the full truth/extent. We can only go off of the facts and the fact is that he was never formally charged with anything despite being investigated by (3) different police departments and he won the only court case that was brought against him. He was publicly crucifed by the media and MLB pundits who didn't let the process play out before jumping to conclusions. He deserves every chance to resume his MLB career without that stigma over him. 

I don't disagree that Nola and Gray have been connected to us and likely are at the top of the target list, but my point with Bauer was that he can be that supplemental 2nd peice that we need to bring in to compliment a front line guy. Given his past track record, you're talking about a guy that even if he only gets back to 75% of what he was before this happened is a legit #2-3 starter on a contending team. Plus, he's not going to cost you the term, dollar figures or assets it'll take to sign or trade for that secondary peice we still need in the top/middle of the rotation. 

Edited by kgarrett12486

9 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Cardinals dance around what is likely a QO offer for both of them.  For that reason, I could see the Cardinals going with someone like Eduardo Rodriguez.  I think we're likely to get our top SP via the trade market.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It'll be interesting to see how the Cardinals dance around what is likely a QO offer for both of them.  For that reason, I could see the Cardinals going with someone like Eduardo Rodriguez.  I think we're likely to get our top SP via the trade market.

Problem is we need to Trade for one AND Sign one

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Problem is we need to Trade for one AND Sign one

I don't disagree.  I think we're almost certainly going after a non-QO SP.  Think Jordan Montgomery or Lucas Giolito, and then supplement it with a bigger trade.  Possibly using some of our big league young players (Tommy Edman, Nolan Gorman, etc.) as the centerpiece of a bigger SP.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't disagree.  I think we're almost certainly going after a non-QO SP.  Think Jordan Montgomery or Lucas Giolito, and then supplement it with a bigger trade.  Possibly using some of our big league young players (Tommy Edman, Nolan Gorman, etc.) as the centerpiece of a bigger SP.

Thats probably the best way to go. But there just seems to be way too much smoke around Nola and Gray

10 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Thats probably the best way to go. But there just seems to be way too much smoke around Nola and Gray

I'm gonna guess there's gonna be some buyers' remorse when it comes to players with QO attached to it.  Armed with their highest draft picks in years.

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'm gonna guess there's gonna be some buyers' remorse when it comes to players with QO attached to it.  Armed with their highest draft picks in years.

It's going to be interesting to see how much value they put into the QO this year. Traditionally, we've been risk advesre to loosing it, but last eyar they bucked that trend. They essentially have a second 1st round pick with how high we're going to be picking, so the QO pick has significant value. However, they've put themselves into a position where they have to be uber aggressive on pitching front and we all know they value the young const controlled position players this team has already developed. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I think they've all but crossed off Giolito from the list unless he's willing to come here on a 1 year smaller prove it deal. Even then, I'm not convinced they'll pursue him given what I've seen from Goold. I mean they had every opportunity to bring him in on waivers and get a good 3-4 start view on him and learn how he interated/gel with the clubhouse (something you rarrely get) and passed. 

With the Blue Jays being ousted yesterday and the way it happened, there are a lot of rumblings they may be purging that roster. Ownership went all in on 2023 and didn't pay off, so they could be in a position to shed significant salary like the Padres. Apparently, they also want to add cost controlled bats.

If I'm Mo, I'm on the phone now inquiring about Gausman and/or Berrios. 

Call me crazy, but I'm not a believer that Yadi is going to be a good manager. You rarely see those superstar players translate well to that role because they are just so different than 9/10 players and can't relate or teach that to the average MLB player. Molina has absolutely no experience other than the WBC.

I've said it before, but this team missed the mark in letting Shumaker get away. He would've been what we needed.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Call me crazy, but I'm not a believer that Yadi is going to be a good manager. You rarely see those superstar players translate well to that role because they are just so different than 9/10 players and can't relate or teach that to the average MLB player. Molina has absolutely no experience other than the WBC.

I've said it before, but this team missed the mark in letting Shumaker get away. He would've been what we needed.

I do agree with that (especially the Skip part), but Yadi can't be worse than Oli.