Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

So, I'm trying to sell myself on Jimmy Garoppolo being a great fit for us, can someone sell me on him being our QB please? What does he bring that makes him a good signing and can he take us forward or is he only a bridge QB? Why is he going to be successful when Carr wasn't?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

So, I'm trying to sell myself on Jimmy Garoppolo being a great fit for us, can someone sell me on him being our QB please? What does he bring that makes him a good signing and can he take us forward or is he only a bridge QB? Why is he going to be successful when Carr wasn't?

We have an out after 1 year, so yea. Bridge QB. 

8 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I watch many 9er games with my family too. Jimmy G sucks...I'm usually bias and very optimistic towards the Raiders. I can't say I feel that any longer. 

If he went to Fresno, you'd be saying he's a steal and needed a change of scenery. 

Your opinion is meaningless. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NickButera said:

Missing out on Brady. Missed out evaluating Carr. Missed out on a playoff run. Missing out on trading for the top pick.....these things are just unacceptable. I guarantee missing out on one of the top 4 QBs of this class will far far outweigh the cost of a couple picks they refused to sacrifice to get it. If the next month plays out this way. This far this regime's theme is "Missed it by *that* much" 

Do you truly think one of the 4 QBs is worth trading 2 firsts, 2 seconds + for in this class?

I personally don't. Draft hasn't happened yet, if the guy they wanted at 1 ends up at 3 maybe they still make a move. 

This reminds me of when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith. Smith was an above average QB but the team was never going to win a Super Bowl with him. This did let the team develop Mahomes. I know he is the best QB in the league but pre draft he was considered raw and needed to be benched. The Chiefs did that for a year and it paid major dividends. They were able to do that because of Smith.  If the Raiders decide to draft a QB Jimmy G is good enough to allow the rookie to sit and learn. 

Is it a lateral move from Carr? Yep. But it’s cheaper and he’s someone who can get along with McD. Also everyone including Jimmy G knows he’s the bridge QB. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

He's great in the intermediate game. Quick decision maker and great in the pocket. He knows the offense and won't have a learning curve. His ability to make quick reads and get the ball to his playmakers will allow guys like Adams, Waller and Renfrow to carve up teams in the intermediate areas. Well like and brings vet leadership to the position.

He's certainly a bridge QB based on the contract. And the fact he struggles to stay healthy. Both Purdy and Lance credit him with be welcoming and helping them. So a rookie is getting a good mentor in the offense. 

What will immediately standout in comparison to Carr is he is fearless in the pocket. He doesn't spoke easily. Very poise and won't panic as we saw with Carr for 9 years. He's good on 3rd down and great in the red zone where Carr is among the leagues worst QBs in that area.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Do you truly think one of the 4 QBs is worth trading 2 firsts, 2 seconds + for in this class?

I personally don't. Draft hasn't happened yet, if the guy they wanted at 1 ends up at 3 maybe they still make a move. 

I think this is a really good point. None of these big 4 QBs in this draft are generational prospects. There is a lot of “what if?” with every single one of them, where they could be great, but equally they could be mediocre or in the case of a couple of them just flat out busts.

If we gave up what the Panthers did in this draft I wouldn’t be impressed at all.

And that leads us to the question - what did Raiders fans actually expect in this off-season? I know some were pinning their hopes on Brady or Rodgers. Some want us to use a draft pick at QB. Some wanted to retain Carr. Some wanted to use Stidham as a bridge. I think it’s safe to say when there’s this much discrepancy in the direction fans want the team to take, it’s clear that there’s no consensus route to success.

Garoppolo is underwhelming, but I’m not sure there were many better options out there, and in terms of value we’ve actually done relatively well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Garoppolo is underwhelming, but I’m not sure there were many better options out there, and in terms of value we’ve actually done relatively well.

Exactly. Jimmy G was the best available realistic QB option on the market for us. Rodgers was a pipe dream, Brady retired, Lamar you have to give a fully guaranteed contract to + 2 firsts (Ravens probably still match), Geno was re-signed....

People legitimately rather stick with Jarrett Stidham? Bring in Mike White? Perhaps sign Baker Mayfield or Jacoby Brissett? Jimmy G is better than any QB mentioned and the price was more than fair.

We can get out of the contract next season if he truly stinks and/or/when he gets hurt. We are in no way handcuffed to Jimmy and Ziegler gave us a solid stopgap to fill the rest of the roster and not be "forced" to draft Will Levis.

2 hours ago, Chali21 said:

This reminds me of when the Chiefs traded for Alex Smith. Smith was an above average QB but the team was never going to win a Super Bowl with him. This did let the team develop Mahomes. I know he is the best QB in the league but pre draft he was considered raw and needed to be benched. The Chiefs did that for a year and it paid major dividends. They were able to do that because of Smith.  If the Raiders decide to draft a QB Jimmy G is good enough to allow the rookie to sit and learn. 

Is it a lateral move from Carr? Yep. But it’s cheaper and he’s someone who can get along with McD. Also everyone including Jimmy G knows he’s the bridge QB. 

Difference being Smith was there for a few years and they were already a playoff team.  Drafting our "Mahomes" wouldn't be this year for a similar circumstance. We would need at least a couple off-season's to get the team up to par with where the Chiefs were when they drafted Pat.

6 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Exactly. Jimmy G was the best available realistic QB option on the market for us. Rodgers was a pipe dream, Brady retired, Lamar you have to give a fully guaranteed contract to + 2 firsts (Ravens probably still match), Geno was re-signed....

People legitimately rather stick with Jarrett Stidham? Bring in Mike White? Perhaps sign Baker Mayfield or Jacoby Brissett? Jimmy G is better than any QB mentioned and the price was more than fair.

We can get out of the contract next season if he truly stinks and/or/when he gets hurt. We are in no way handcuffed to Jimmy and Ziegler gave us a solid stopgap to fill the rest of the roster and not be "forced" to draft Will Levis.

I think the point you conveniently leave out is that we created the situation.  It's not a question of "what did you expect?", it's a question of "was this the plan or are we just winging it?" 

I personally never wanted any of this and thought we might as well run it back with Carr.  They disagreed, so be it.

I have been confused by their direction more than anything.  It's less about the players and more about the logic.  Year 1 big splashes, super bowl talk, all in type of mentality, 3 year window contracts for everyone.

Year 2, scrap all that.  We need to build the team, but we're not going to rebuild as much as we are going to reload again in a different way.  Trying to maintain the balance and/or illusion of trying to keep the players and fans happy, but not really all in on anything.  Can we win enough to save our jobs, but full well know that we ain't competing for ish.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, true2form said:

I think the point you conveniently leave out is that we created the situation.  It's not a question of "what did you expect?", it's a question of "was this the plan or are we just winging it?" 

I personally never wanted any of this and thought we might as well run it back with Carr.  They disagreed, so be it.

I have been confused by their direction more than anything.  It's less about the players and more about the logic.  Year 1 big splashes, super bowl talk, all in type of mentality, 3 year window contracts for everyone.

Year 2, scrap all that.  We need to build the team, but we're not going to rebuild as much as we are going to reload again in a different way.  Trying to maintain the balance and/or illusion of trying to keep the players and fans happy, but not really all in on anything.  Can we win enough to save our jobs, but full well know that we ain't competing for ish.

I think they were truly banking on Carr taking that next step, i.e. the big trade of Adams, signing of Jones, etc, extending Carr.

However DC fell flat on his face unsurprisingly and the FO had to pivot.

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Talks about YAC being a strength for Jimmy and shows an errant pass Deebo has to jump and contort to gather before he beats 5 defenders and scores 😄 it was all Jimmy! Well done Jimmy 👍🏼

In all seriousness, the guy has taken a lot of criticism and he seems well liked and he has worked in McDaniels scheme with some success. Maybe I’m just trying to sell myself on the idea though………..

What I like is that he's right Jimmy G is fearless and doesn't care what people says about him. Which is the exact opposite of Voldemort or he who should not be named.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I think they were truly banking on Carr taking that next step, i.e. the big trade of Adams, signing of Jones, etc, extending Carr.

Could be some truth to that.  Also could be some truth to Josh not letting Carr do what he does best.  Also could've just been we had too many injuries and weren't a good enough team to overcome it.

We can blame Carr all we want, but for those that do, remember Jimmy is basically the same guy.  And yes, he's better at xyz, but Carr is better at ABC too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

but now everyone is bringing up all the flaws this team had outside of QB ?! 
40 mil in deadcap space
injuries to waller and renfrow left Foster and Mack Hollins starting. Both having career years, just not good enough. 
Basically everyone on O had a career year. .  . someone was getting them the ball 

Still had a bad D. . . 

Came up short in 9 one possession games. 

-
the pivot with no plan is what doesnt make sense to me. 
-
the way i see it:
They left a job making 100k a year, because some fancy new tech firm was offering them 500k (brady) a year, so they told their boss they quit, and then the tech company went bankrupt