Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This. The whole RB argument is dumb and a nit picky way to hate on the staff. Bottom half of the roster is about having ST players regardless of position. Bolden was a stalwart ST player in NE. Abdullah had COP value and ST value as a KR. Brown played himself onto the roster last year in preseason and he and Zues played roles on ST.

I feel like Im about to be labeled a JMD stan, as I was labeled a Carr stan for a long time, for because i continue pointing out the many obvious flaws in the team lol. 

We actually had a very good STs unit last year IIRC, so while yes all those RBs was weird, it did help us out. This is an underlooked part of the NE success, they normally create an advantage on STs. 

Hopefully as we build depth with valuable players, we wont just be able to stack players who you pray dont see meaningful time to build a monster ST unit, but last year we had roster spots available. It sucks, but its true. 
Yes we couldve gambled on some more UDFA rookies, and maybe we shouldve, but solid chance they wouldve been worse than who we ended up playing. 

Mark gave Reggie 5 years. Hired Gruden for 10 initially. He wants consistency and understands why it is important. 

Mark made the mistake of saying "this is not a rebuild" last offseason and everyone holds JMD/DZ accountable for him speaking those words. And even Mark said he had his suspicions the roster was a mess, which made his words even stupider. 

Mark will let his football people do their jobs and I respect that. But he can't help himself from saying stupid things at times. 

• Like 1

yup, and Gruden to me shows why continuity is so important. . . even though he blew 5 first round drafts in 3 years, the team he built made the playoffs in year 3, and I believe wouldve year 2 if not for the dolphins collapse? 

essentially dont be a bottom 10 team, and you have a 64% chance of making the playoffs. Dont be a bottom 10 team, and youll be alive come Christmas to make a playoff push. 

Build a solid core of players, who understand the system and you most likely wont be bottom 10 on that alone. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I feel like Im about to be labeled a JMD stan, as I was labeled a Carr stan for a long time, for because i continue pointing out the many obvious flaws in the team lol. 

We actually had a very good STs unit last year IIRC, so while yes all those RBs was weird, it did help us out. This is an underlooked part of the NE success, they normally create an advantage on STs. 

Hopefully as we build depth with valuable players, we wont just be able to stack players who you pray dont see meaningful time to build a monster ST unit, but last year we had roster spots available. It sucks, but its true. 
Yes we couldve gambled on some more UDFA rookies, and maybe we shouldve, but solid chance they wouldve been worse than who we ended up playing. 

That's how it started with me, embrace it.

I'm excited for day 3 of the draft because that is where you find a lot of your glue guys. Guys that can play a role, excel on STs and develop into something down the line. NE always have these unheralded role players that do their job well. 

If the Raiders can hit on some starters in the top 100 and upgrade their depth on day 2, with potential for some breakout players in that group it will go a long way to improving this team overall. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Yes strikes on Josh, that is fine. He was far from perfect last year, and I believe even he has said that he needs to get better, im sure DZ would say the same of himself as well. . . they are young and inexperienced, they need to grow. 

Personally I like going young with coaches / gms, because it gives you a chance of getting one of the great ones. Whereas it sounds like maybe you wish we hired someone with more experience who is good but hitting the market for a reason. 

The RBs was weird no doubt, but i hate to break it to you, we wouldve had bad depth regardless of if it was 5 rbs, or 3 rbs and 2 extra olineman. or CBs or whatever other position. Is there some amazing player you think we couldve had instead of one of those RBs for the same cost? 

honestly, if some players werent up to speed by end of season, that is on the player, if 80% can figure it out, it shows it can be done. Players should and were held accountable. 

Our D has blown for 20 years, there is no way Josh was fixing that in his first season here. . you can put 33% of the blame on him if you want, but again, what the hell did you think? Even if Jones was a 10sack player last year, our D wouldve been a liability against the run and still struggled wiht the pass. . . I think you need to set realistic expectations. 

Again with O, you put it on only the current regeim, but you are forgetting that it is mainly on the pepole running the team before they got here. . . you keep forgetting this. 
and it is a MAJOR probably like 80% major reason why our depth sucks. WE DONT DRAFT WELL. we change schemes often requiring new players, etc. 

Of course Josh plays a role in a lot . . but you do realize Mark brought Josh in to do things his way right? Mark couldve kept Rich and attempted to build of what rich did the season prior. . . that is NOT Joshs fault, well i guess if josh diidnt interview maybe we wouldve kept rich lol. 

When you change coaches, it takes time to implement things and build properly. 

Your spin on the season, sure Josh wouldnt be hired, but if you say in his interview he said;

Mark you know what, Ive seen the Raiders struggle for 20 years, and the lack of consistency has killed your franchises ability to have any sort of sustain success. If you hire me, the first couple seasons may be rough as I find the players I need to run my system and weed out the players who arent committed (WALLER),  or dont fit (Carr, who regardless of your thoughts on, I liked and thought was capable, clearly doesnt fit JMD system. But as we continue to build via the draft and bring in players who work and fit our scheme we can build a team for sustained success. 

Maybe mark does hire him. 
I for one am tired of the rebuild, retool, change the D, change the O every fricken 2 years. 
Do your homework, make a decision and stick with it for 3 years. Obviously make tweaks here and there. 

No. This narrative has got to stop. Josh is not young and inexperienced. He has been an OC or HC in the NFL for close to 20 years. He has 22 years total in the league. And ove that 22 years, he hasn't seemed to change or learn or grow very much. Enough with this nonsense that portrays this like it's McDaniels' first rodeo. It's not. Period. He has more overall experience in the NFL than:

Arthur Smith, Frank Reich, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Dan Campbell, Matt LeFleur, Doug Peterson, Brandon Staley, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell, Robert Saleh, Nick Sirianni, Kyle Shanahan, and Mike Vrabel 

He has as many years in the league as Sean McDermott. 

He has 3 years less as a coach in the NFL than John Harbaugh 

And I'm generously not counting guys who coached extensively at the lower levels. Dennis Allen has all of 5 ears on McDaniels as a coach, and 4 of them are as a grad assistant. Bryan Daboll has 4 years as a volunteer and grad assistant on him. He's been in the NFL coaching ranks for all of 2 years fewer than Mike Tomlin. He has almost the same amount of total NFL experience as Pete Carroll. He's coached in the NFL for 4 fewer years than Ron Rivera ffs. 

Over 20 current head coaches named there, most of whom he's coached longer than. And you know what they ALL, with the exception of Robert Saleh and Arthur Smith, did that he hasn't done yet? Had a winning season as a HC. ALL of them have shown improvement or at least sustainability at status quo years 2-3. Most of them are well tenured now in their first big boy jobs, and haven't been unceremoniously kicked to the curb by a franchise after utterly failing from day zero. None of them got **** canned a few games into their second years and started out miserably at stop number two. 

This whole narrative of Josh McDaniels being some neophyte and thus requires kid gloves is horse****. He's making rookie mistakes, and he's far from being a rookie. 

Edited by ronjon1990

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

No. This narrative has got to stop. Josh is not young and inexperienced. He has been an OC or HC in the NFL for close to 20 years. He has 22 years total in the league. And ove that 22 years, he hasn't seemed to change or learn or grow very much. Enough with this nonsense that portrays this like it's McDaniels' first rodeo. It's not. Period. He has more overall experience in the NFL than:

Arthur Smith, Frank Reich, Zac Taylor, Kevin Stefanski, Dan Campbell, Matt LeFleur, Doug Peterson, Brandon Staley, Sean McVay, Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell, Robert Saleh, Nick Sirianni, Kyle Shanahan, and Mike Vrabel 

He has as many years in the league as Sean McDermott. 

He has 3 years less as a coach in the NFL than John Harbaugh 

And I'm generously not counting guys who coached extensively at the lower levels. Dennis Allen has all of 5 ears on McDaniels as a coach, and 4 of them are as a grad assistant. Bryan Daboll has 4 years as a volunteer and grad assistant on him. He's been in the NFL coaching ranks for all of 2 years fewer than Mike Tomlin. He has almost the same amount of total NFL experience as Pete Carroll. He's coached in the NFL for 4 fewer years than Ron Rivera ffs. 

Over 20 current head coaches named there, most of whom he's coached longer than. And you know what they ALL, with the exception of Robert Saleh and Arthur Smith, did that he hasn't done yet? Had a winning season as a HC. Most of them are well tenured now in their first big boy jobs, and haven't been unceremoniously kicked to the curb by a franchise after utterly failing from day zero. 

This whole narrative of Josh McDaniels being some neophyte and thus requires kid gloves is horse****. He's making rookie mistakes, and he's far from being a rookie. 

The average age for an nfl coach is 50, Josh McDaneils, is 46 . . . cry about it all you want but yes he is young. 

I meant he is inexperienced as a HC. . . in case you didnt know, it is a different set of responsibilites than OC. 
You can be the worlds greatest OC and Suck as a HC, because they are two different positions. 

If all his previous experience counts, then please stop saying hes never won. . . hes one of the most winning coaches ever then. 

3 years less as a coach in the nfl then john harbaugh . . .and what 5 more superbowls then harbaugh too . . 

You seem to be picking and choosing stats very selectively LOL. 
He has 22 years of expereince, he is an experienced coach! and never won if you ignore 19 of those years because he wasnt a HC for those!

Either ignor the 19 years, and he has 3 years experience as HC.
or he has 22 years of experience and a lot of Rings. 

Your pick. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

The average age for an nfl coach is 50, Josh McDaneils, is 46 . . . cry about it all you want but yes he is young. 

I meant he is inexperienced as a HC. . . in case you didnt know, it is a different set of responsibilites than OC. 
You can be the worlds greatest OC and Suck as a HC, because they are two different positions. 

If all his previous experience counts, then please stop saying hes never won. . . hes one of the most winning coaches ever then. 

3 years less as a coach in the nfl then john harbaugh . . .and what 5 more superbowls then harbaugh too . . 

You seem to be picking and choosing stats very selectively LOL. 
He has 22 years of expereince, he is an experienced coach! and never won if you ignore 19 of those years because he wasnt a HC for those!

Either ignor the 19 years, and he has 3 years experience as HC.
or he has 22 years of experience and a lot of Rings. 

Your pick. 

1. Feel free to note I didn't say he wasn't young. If he were 46 with a handful of years of experience, that's one thing. But it isn't the case. At 46 with 22 years of experience, you don't get to call yourself inexperienced.

2. Said before, he's possibly a great OC and crap HC. He could've gained more experience by not sucking when he got the chance. Too bad he did and is thus opened for criticism of his similar performance. 

3. He's never had a winning season as a HC. That's a fact. He's never had a winning season without Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. That's a fact. He has, however, had horrid success as a HC in Denver, OC in St. Louis, and HC in Las Vegas. That's a fact. The crux of most arguments is that he's never won without the greatest HC and QB ever. That's not even disputable. Without them, he has not won. That's not even disputable. Would've been nice if he had objectively learned something from all that experience, but he hasn't. And that's the issue many people are highlighting. 

4. Congratulations on riding Tom and Bill to 5 more rings than Harbaugh? Harbaugh has far and away exceeded Josh McDaniels in every way as a HC and continues to do so. Oh, but we have to kiss Josh's rings he got courtesy of other peoples' success? That's what it's about? Talk about making someone's argument for them.....

5. Not cherry picking at all. He has two decades of NFL coaching experience. Yes, I'll hold someone with that much experience to a higher standard than a guy with 5 years total. That's how experience vs inexperience works. Again, had he not blown his last shot at being a HC by sucking, he would've gained more experience as a HC. Regardless, plenty of coaches with less overall coaching experience have come along and had better success in worse or similar situations. He's held to a higher standard because he's not a rookie, he's a retread. That's not complicated to understand. 

6. "Either ignor the 19 years, and he has 3 years experience as HC.

or he has 22 years of experience and a lot of Rings." ...... Yeah that's not at all how it works and I'd be embarrassed to even make such an argument. But ok, I'll bite. He has 3 years of HC experience, that's all that matters. Ok. Deal.  He's sucked in all 3. So congratulations on admitting he sucks as a HC. That's what we've been trying to tell you. 

If that's honestly the best argument you can come up with, you're absolutely a Josh McDaniels stan. 

@jimkelly02 @Frankie2Gunz we seem to have lost another one to the idiocy argument. 

Edited by ronjon1990

what is this idiocy argument btw? 

I dont even like jmd, just that you are yelling hes never won as a headcoach with 20 years . . hes been headcoch 3 years. 

one he wen 8-8
one he was rebuilding in den
one was last year and a brutal season all around. 

give him 3 years.
is that the idiocy argument? 

I think you wouldve fired bill in NE

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

LOL

⬇️

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

No. This narrative has got to stop. Josh is not young and inexperienced. 

Holy hell you're even worse at this than that Palooka stooge. Try again. Or don't. You'll just keep embarrassing yourself. I mean, you've made it past 2nd grade, right? You know how sentences and words work? Do you understand how to quote what's actually said beyond just what you want to have been said? Clearly not. 

You should be ashamed, honestly. That's pathetic. Not even ballsy enough to hide that you won't use an exact quote. #SAD. 

L.O.L. 

Edited by ronjon1990

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If his name wasn't Josh McDaniels, most wouldn't hate him so much that much is clear. 

With a shaky roster and injuries, they were in most of their games last season. Players played hard and competed. It's the old Tony Dungy adage... there are 5 plays that will make or break the game. Stuff to clean up, need better roster construction but there were a lot of positives. 

I think this is true. I also think he is not the greatest people person. I will see what him and Ziegler want to do with the roster.

15 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

⬇️

Holy hell you're even worse at this than that Palooka stooge. Try again. Or don't. You'll just keep embarrassing yourself. I mean, you've made it past 2nd grade, right? You know how sentences and words work? Do you understand how to quote what's actually said beyond just what you want to have been said? Clearly not. 

You should be ashamed, honestly. That's pathetic. Not even ballsy enough to hide that you won't use an exact quote. #SAD. 

L.O.L. 

so then you shouldve wrote josh is not inexperienced. 
this isnt an8th grade class were you need to add words to hit a target amount. 

I wrote josh is young and inexperienced, you disagreed and replied, this has to stop he isnt young and inexperienced. 

That implies you disagreed with both. 
If you only disagreed with the inexperienced you shouldve stated that. 

-

Regardless, why are you so defensive and angry lol? 
All i said is to give this guy 3 years 

Bill went 5-11 after his first season in NE, and had more experience than Josh in his first stint. 

It takes time to learn how to become a HC. It is not an easy job. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

so then you shouldve wrote josh is not inexperienced. 
this isnt an8th grade class were you need to add words to hit a target amount. 

I wrote josh is young and inexperienced, you disagreed and replied, this has to stop he isnt young and inexperienced. 

That implies you disagreed with both. 
If you only disagreed with the inexperienced you shouldve stated that. 

-

Regardless, why are you so defensive and angry lol? 
All i said is to give this guy 3 years 

Bill went 5-11 after his first season in NE, and had more experience than Josh in his first stint. 

It takes time to learn how to become a HC. It is not an easy job. 

He isn't young and inexperienced, which is what you claimed. That's a false statement. Learn the basics, kiddo. And he's only relatively young. The average is a few years older than he is. That's middle aged or roughly thereabouts for those keeping tally. 

Beyond that, he has had 3 years. That's all that matters, remember, because he's so inexperienced since we only count those years. All 3 sucked. Again, you're only making the point. 

Also, I'm far from angry. I'm genuinely amused at the lengths people are willing to go to defend Josh's ineptitude and the mental gymnastics one has to go through in order to get there. 

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

He isn't young and inexperienced, which is what you claimed. That's a false statement. Learn the basics, kiddo. And he's only relatively young. The average is a few years older than he is. That's middle aged or roughly thereabouts for those keeping tally. 

Beyond that, he has had 3 years. That's all that matters, remember, because he's so inexperienced since we only count those years. All 3 sucked. Again, you're only making the point. 

Also, I'm far from angry. I'm genuinely amused at the lengths people are willing to go to defend Josh's ineptitude and the mental gymnastics one has to go through in order to get there. 

He is younger than average, and prior to last season (which we are judging him on, had 1.5 season as head coach), that to me is not an experienced HC. 

He is now going into his 4th year as HC, 2nd with us and I expect him to show signs of improvement. 
If there are no signs of improvement, his seat should and will be getting very hot. 

you are claiming he shouldve been fired already correct? 
Would you say the same about Bill after year one in NE going 5-11? 

You talk like this season is already over . .
You sound like all the fans who wanted to lose to get rid of Carr. 

-
I get it, you hate the coach, Im not a fan of JMD, but he is the Radiers coach, nothing I do can change that, I have to hope he will continue to learn and improve, as is typical for coaches going into their 2nd year with a team. 

With our brutal depth last season, and brutal D, and Foster and Hollins starting to many games, and players learning the system and geling together,  what do you think was a fair expectation for JMDs record? 10-7?

37 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

⬇️

L.O.L. 

How did you get so worked up about what @BackinBlack said and so quickly. He was being perfectly reasonable and measured. You escalated things. The level of emotive language you use when trying to defend your position is really disproportionate.

Your obviously a bright fella and I think you make some really good points when your not getting personal. But your overreactions are just too much some times….

• Like 3