Raiders sign QB Jimmy Garoppolo (3 years, $67.5M, $34M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

Contender meaning they can beat anyone in the league on any given day and if reached the playoffs can make a run to the SB

I think every team in the NFL is 1-4 years away from being a contender. This is contingent on some position groups turning into solid starters and young players developing into fringe stars. 

Raiders are on the brink due to Stars at important positions WR/DE/LT. If our young DBs turn into a solid group (Moehrig, Hobbs, Bennett) and the o-line gets solid starters out of mid/late picks (Parham/Munford) we are on the way.

KC stays a contender.  Buffalo is a contender.  Eagles are probably still a contender (I haven't paid close attention to their turnover on defense).  Bengals would've been a contender if Burrow didn't get hurt but now, we don't really know.  There are about 8 teams every year that are consistently in contention due to their solid rosters and great QBs.

I do not think the Raiders are contenders.  At all.  Not right now.  If we reached the playoffs we'd get the stuffing beat out of us.  We'd be a full-blown fluke team if we made it IMO.  The deck would have to be stacked in our favor (penalties, injuries, COVID, lots of game winning field goals).  

I just do not think we have enough talent on our roster to be a contender right now.  We might be able to beat KC once if we played them 5-10x, but I do not think we are an "any given Sunday" kind of team.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jerry said:

KC stays a contender.  Buffalo is a contender.  Eagles are probably still a contender (I haven't paid close attention to their turnover on defense).  Bengals would've been a contender if Burrow didn't get hurt but now, we don't really know.  There are about 8 teams every year that are consistently in contention due to their solid rosters and great QBs.

I do not think the Raiders are contenders.  At all.  Not right now.  If we reached the playoffs we'd get the stuffing beat out of us.  We'd be a full-blown fluke team if we made it IMO.  The deck would have to be stacked in our favor (penalties, injuries, COVID, lots of game winning field goals).  

I just do not think we have enough talent on our roster to be a contender right now.  We might be able to beat KC once if we played them 5-10x, but I do not think we are an "any given Sunday" kind of team.

We’re about a year away if things work out this season. 2024 we could be labeled contenders 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bucksavage1 said:

We’re about a year away if things work out this season. 2024 we could be labeled contenders 

Definitely possible.  I think positions we'll need to focus on next offseason will be RG/RT, DT, LB, and DB.  RB too if Z. White doesn't pan out (I'm kind of worried about his ball carrying vision).  We have decent players at those positions, but I want great players at those positions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Define contender.  My idea of contender is AFC Championship game (13-4).  I think there are paths to being competitive (8-10 wins).  But I doubt we have a team now that will do much of anything this season.  We are a couple of years away (at least) from being a contender.

Not that I’m saying McZiegler will do it but a competent FO with our current roster I think could make us into contenders as being defined in the last couple posts, by 2024. That is this years draft class with a year of growth plus another free agency plus next years draft class.

So, if we start on offence and assuming Garoppolo plays to a decent level as expected and fits the system like a glove he’ll likely be our starter in 2024 unless we draft an elite prospect. We can sort things out with Jacobs, so we have an All Pro RB with a good FB and some depth in the RB room. 

I’m high on TE Meyer so I think he’ll become a good starter, possibly a Pro Bowler over the next few years but by next year he should be decent to good and getting better and Hooper is a solid vet, TEs are pretty easy and chea to find solid depth. If Jakobi and Renfrow get in sync then the passing attack should be legitimate as Adams is beyond reproach. 

The OLine currently is average to below average probably. Miller I really like and think he’s a Pro Bowl quality LT and Parham looks to have good potential. The other three are average to below average at present but Munford with a year could be something good.

Defensively, If we hit on Wilson and he becomes a Pro Bowl level DE which I don’t think is too far fetched that would help massively. 2023 is probably too soon for him but 2024 he could become a force but by then Chandler is probably gone, creating some nice cap room for a vet rotation guy or two. DT figures to still be weak this year but maybe Young becomes a solid starter. I think we don’t really have anything else there but rotation and backup players unless someone bolts from the blue.

LB could be terrible and they won’t be protected by a strong DLine this year.

At DB Bennett may become a solid to good CB given all the hype. Peters solidifies the CB room with Hobbs whilst Moehrig and Epps should be average to decent. I’m quite optimistic on our defensive backfield. Chris Smith I think can be a nice surprise as a gritty, high IQ safety too.

If we finish something like 7-10 as I think they might, that would give us a reasonably high draft pick in the following draft and a bit of cap space with guys like Chandler coming off the books if cut. I don’t believe anyone major needs an extension?

Therefore, we have I reckon one maybe two holes on OLine, a gaping hole at DT, a black void at LB and lack of rotation pass rushers. We possibly could have a hole at RB if the Jacobs issue escalated. We’ll probably have to add CB depth as the one year players won’t all work out or be re signed and we may need safety depth if Epps or Pola Mao don’t work out.

Say we use free agency to add LB depth, an OLineman, DT depth and maybe one big ticket guy, like a RB if we need to. Then for example, we could go into the draft with a full slate of picks in the top third of the round, we may draft an impact DT in 1 for example, a top LB prospect in 2 with an Olineman in 3. We then add LB depth, maybe a safety and CB depth. 

STs are always good it seems.

Obviously the picks and FA are dependant upon who is available but I see no reason with very competent Front Office work we shouldn’t have most of our glaring holes filled and we can make the OLine a strength again and have a respectable pass rush and sound middle of the defence. We need a few picks to work out and to make good picks in ‘24 but the chance is there I believe to turn it around and be sustainable.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...