Bears Sign OG Nate Davis

Madmike90

Davis has played his entire NFL career at RG; I would have to think we signed him to play RG here.

So what does that mean for Jenkins?

The fact that we didn't break the bank for McGlinchey/Taylor etc, is there a scenario where plan B was to have Jenkins kick back out to RT?

8 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I mean it’s the mystery box game right? That Top 50 Pick could be anything! But we know that Jenkins can be down right Dominant. We also know he continues to be banged up. But we don’t k ow how his attitude was this year/what his contract demands will be like. 

Taking a deal like that would be guarding against the downside more than it would be cashing in or anything like that 

It's just bizarre since Davis seemingly can only play RG. Maybe a transition to LG is simple for him, but the only options are:

1) they agreed on Davis playing LG

2) Jenkins is going to play LT

3) Jenkins is an *******

4) they still odn't believe in Jenkins, because of point #3 and/or his injury history

8 minutes ago, G08 said:

Davis has played his entire NFL career at RG; I would have to think we signed him to play RG here.

The fact that we didn't break the bank for McGlinchey/Taylor etc, is there a scenario where plan B was to have Jenkins kick back out to RT?

Idk, for those more in the know than me, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like guards tend to be more side versatile than tackles tend to be. It could mean that Davis stays at RG, but I would bet that Jenkins might move to LG before moving back to tackle unless they absolutely can't find anyone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

ATM Whitehair is the starting C IMO.

Jenkins is young, cheap, and the best performing player on the OL when he is out there. It would be stupid of Poles not to give him a chance to play this year. If he ends up missing a few games then that is why you overpaid Patrick, to be the super-sub.

Whitehair kind of sucks at this point and as per Madmikes comment he was already tried at center a few years back and failed. I just remember him having so many issues snapping the ball aside from the other play deficiencies.

Wouldn't be surprised if Bears cut him and try to put Jenkins at LG and Davis at RG and look towards draft for a RT /backup Center 

21 minutes ago, G08 said:

I'd much rather that than kick him out, he'll I'd take him at C first. But dammit if that was on the table why didn't they just let him fight for the RT spot?

32 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You wouldn't take a top 50 pick for Jenkins? I like him a lot but maybe he really is a s*** and maybe he only wants to play OT still. Add in the fact that he's hurt a lot, if someone offered a 2nd rounder for him, I'd say yes (assuming everything I just said is true)

Maybe he is a ****-head, maybe Eberflus and Getsy are. IDK since I don't have anything to go off of, but I can say definitively that I have been more impressed with his play than I have Eberflus or Getsy's coaching. The fact that Mustipher walked into a starting role without any competition while Tonga was dumped without even getting one is reason enough for me to question their judgement. 🤷‍♂️

As a coach Jenkins plays where you put him, but have the foresight to at least give him a shot and test your options appropriately.

41 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Agree with all of this. That’s why I said 50, because it really makes you have to make a decision. Guy has All Pro skills like you said, but can he stay on the field? Has Poles had any contact discussions with his people yet? If so, how have those gone? Does he want Top End OT money even as. guard?

This is all stuff we as outsiders just can’t know. But what we do know is he is one of our few “home grown” studs. Hard to let that go. 

Yep. Now if he was making $10+ mil right now I would be fine with dumping him. Injury concerns at that cost are way bigger than what he is making now. Dude is a really talented player on a rookie deal. Ride it out for at LEAST one more year.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Idk, for those more in the know than me, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like guards tend to be more side versatile than tackles tend to be. It could mean that Davis stays at RG, but I would bet that Jenkins might move to LG before moving back to tackle unless they absolutely can't find anyone.

Yes, it is a much easier switch than Tackles. But we also can’t pretend it’s as easy as changing shoes either. It takes some adjusting, and maybe they believe Davis can do so. 

I was just throwing my curiosity out there, as I don’t even think they can comment on the signing yet “officially”. So maybe they already have a plan in place and we will hear about it later this week

But I’d also say, they could just as easily say that they want to try Jenkins at RT this year. (Less likely since they already had that chance, unless Jenkins and his camp are pushing for that)

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Whitehair kind of sucks at this point and as per Madmikes comment he was already tried at center a few years back and failed. I just remember him having so many issues snapping the ball aside from the other play deficiencies

I will preface by saying I don’t envision Whitehair as the Center for this team. But from what I understand, he was also tried at Center in more of a Power Running Scheme (or atleast one that portended to be). If we get things settled going into the year, Braxton at LT, Davis at LG, Jenkins at RG and either another FA or High Draftee at RT, I think it would be very beneficial for Whitehair and Patrick to duke it out to see who the best Center to steer this young OL would be. 

Either of them would be a stopgap, and hopefully a young drafted C as well beats them out by years end. Then they are the two backup vets for the IOL. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It's just bizarre since Davis seemingly can only play RG. Maybe a transition to LG is simple for him, but the only options are:

1) they agreed on Davis playing LG

2) Jenkins is going to play LT

3) Jenkins is an *******

4) they still odn't believe in Jenkins, because of point #3 and/or his injury history

I think you mean RT.

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

I hope they kick him out to RT, what's not to like?

317 lbs

33.5" arms

1.77/2.88/5.01

36 reps 225

32.5" vert

8'10" broad

4.68 short shuttle

7.69 cone

My only issue is jumping him back and forth. Pick a spot and let him develop there. Quit the *****-footing around. 

Like Kyle Long he was a great OT prospect that got kicked inside, hopefully they don't bounce him out then back in like they did to Long too. 

• Like 1