2018 Salary Cap and List of 2018 FAs

The_Slamman

Random thought, and I'm not really sure where to put it, but how would everyone feel about a David Irving/Earl Thomas swap?

The early rumors are that the Cowboys aren't as committed to David Irving as the fan base would probably like them to be, and may be content with giving him a 2nd round tender and letting him go if an offer comes in. With Sheldon Richardson a FA and Seattle potentially rebuilding their defense, Irving would be an attractive asset I would imagine. Wouldn't happen, but from a value standpoint, how far off is that?

14 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Random thought, and I'm not really sure where to put it, but how would everyone feel about a David Irving/Earl Thomas swap?

The early rumors are that the Cowboys aren't as committed to David Irving as the fan base would probably like them to be, and may be content with giving him a 2nd round tender and letting him go if an offer comes in. With Sheldon Richardson a FA and Seattle potentially rebuilding their defense, Irving would be an attractive asset I would imagine. Wouldn't happen, but from a value standpoint, how far off is that?

I think Irving plus one or two compensatory picks might do the trick. 

Having another leader on the defense and a seasoned vet with championship experience wouldn't hurt to have.

Why would Dallas not be committed to Irving?  Has he played too well for their liking? I don't get it. I mean, literally w.t.f. ? If he's an attractive asset for a rebuilding defense, he ought to be an attractive asset for Dallas. They aren't exactly setting the world on fire defensively.  

As for the trade, yeah, I'd definitely be interested in acquiring Thomas. Good veteran for the secondary and one of the best in the game. Just not sure I'm willing to part with arguably our 2nd best DL. Who is at least for one more, cheap.

15 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Why would Dallas not be committed to Irving?  Has he played too well for their liking? I don't get it. I mean, literally w.t.f. ? If he's an attractive asset for a rebuilding defense, he ought to be an attractive asset for Dallas. They aren't exactly setting the world on fire defensively.  

As for the trade, yeah, I'd definitely be interested in acquiring Thomas. Good veteran for the secondary and one of the best in the game. Just not sure I'm willing to part with arguably our 2nd best DL. Who is at least for one more, cheap.

I agree, I think Irving is incredibly valuable, but just things I've heard on the local radio and read on Twitter, they have some concerns about him. Not sure if it's injury related or off-field stuff, but those are the rumors floating around.

54 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I agree, I think Irving is incredibly valuable, but just things I've heard on the local radio and read on Twitter, they have some concerns about him. Not sure if it's injury related or off-field stuff, but those are the rumors floating around.

Maybe that concussion is lingering around?

Define committed though. Putting a 2nd round tender on him shows some commitment, and they will at least do that. Maybe they aren't ready to give him a long term deal but they don't have to. And if someone matches a 2nd rounder for him well... You bet your *** I'm thinking about it. That doesn't mean I'm not committed necessarily, just that having two 2nd round picks provides a lot of flexibility. And a 2nd round pick is great ROI for a guy you have barely invested in. He was a practice squad steal.

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Define committed though. Putting a 2nd round tender on him shows some commitment, and they will at least do that. Maybe they aren't ready to give him a long term deal but they don't have to. And if someone matches a 2nd rounder for him well... You bet your *** I'm thinking about it. That doesn't mean I'm not committed necessarily, just that having two 2nd round picks provides a lot of flexibility. And a 2nd round pick is great ROI for a guy you have barely invested in. He was a practice squad steal.

Sure, but with his production and upside at 24, you wouldn't think they'd want to give him away for a second round pick unless something was up. I think they know his value, but would be totally fine letting him walk because they don't want to match that value (allegedly).

Archived