Panthers Sign TE Hayden Hurst (3 yrs, 21.75m, 13 gtd)

goldfishwars

Boyd is probably going into his last season with the team, unless he's willing to take a below market deal to extend. It makes sense to sign a vet TE like Hurst for at least a couple of years and no reason he couldn't be signed for 3 or more. It's not like he's old or his body is breaking down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It makes sense to sign a vet TE like Hurst for at least a couple of years and no reason he couldn't be signed for 3 or more. It's not like he's old or his body is breaking down. 

Yes, it makes sense to sign a vet, like Hurst, but cheaper. And he is old. He’ll be 30 in August. Like I said, do you really want to sign a guy into a mid-level contract into age 33? 

And there isn’t “no reason” to sign him. It’s called money.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

Yes, it makes sense to sign a vet, like Hurst, but cheaper. And he is old. He’ll be 30 in August. Like I said, do you really want to sign a guy into a mid-level contract into age 33? 

Also, it’s amazing to me how quickly we forget that Hurst was the cheap option from a year ago. Remember when we decided not to pay CJ Uzomah and went the cheaper route to sign Hurst? How did that turn out?

Trust in the process. We’ll be fine.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Have you seen the numbers on his deal with Carolina? I haven't seen them yet so the money excuse doesn't apply, at least for now. Nobody thinks Vonn Bell was overpaid by the Panthers.

Hurst tried pro baseball for a couple years before college football. He's older than his draft class peers but his body isn't beat up as if he'd entered the NFL at 22. His game isn't speed or power anyway, it's route running and hands. Hurst at the end of a 3 year deal with be the age Travis Kelce is now. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Have you seen the numbers on his deal with Carolina? I haven't seen them yet so the money excuse doesn't apply, at least for now. Nobody thinks Vonn Bell was overpaid by the Panthers.

Hurst tried pro baseball for a couple years before college football. He's older than his draft class peers but his body isn't beat up as if he'd entered the NFL at 22. His game isn't speed or power anyway, it's route running and hands. Hurst at the end of a 3 year deal with be the age Travis Kelce is now. 

Quit your bell-achin’. You can complain in a month when this is over. Until then just wait and see what happens.

48 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Quit your bell-achin’. You can complain in a month when this is over. Until then just wait and see what happens.

So you agree that money isn't the impediment to re-signing Hurst? Do you think the Bengals will sign someone else who costs more than whatever Hurst got in Carolina? 

7 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

It’s not as bad as you might think. The only real loss has been Vonn Bell. Bates was always a goner after drafting Daxton Hill, Perine is meh and not a great fit for how our offense has evolved, and Hurst, while solid, is easily replaceable. Losing Bell is tough because losing two starting safeties is a tough pill to swallow.

The Bengals have an excellent FA track record in recent years - Bell, Hurst, and Perine are guys we brought in very cheap in the third, fourth, even fifth waves of FA. We’ve yet to make additions to replace these guys, but we will, and I trust in Duke Tobin and co to make the correct decisions to find the right guys the coming weeks.

I mean, Cincinnati may very well be perfectly fine, but those are still losses. it's a good year to need a TE in the draft, but Hurst is still a loss. Not a huge one, but a loss. And it's not like rookie TEs usually make big impacts their rookie years.

Cincinnati fans likely knew Bates was gone, but how is that not a real loss? Losing one of the best safeties in the game is significant. Maybe Hill plays well replacing him, maybe he doesn't.

As long as the Bengals have Burrow, they'll likely be just fine. But they've also had a really solid team around him the past two years. I'm sure the Bengals will still be plenty good this year, but these are still blows that they're dealing with in free agency.

• Like 1