2023 Lions Roster

Louis Friend

Not that this means a lot, but here are a couple of the Lions PFF scores in the pre-season so far. Focus is more so on rookies/depth pieces. This could help us get some insight on which players may make the roster and which ones don't. 

WR's

• Chase Cota - 77.2
  • Antoine Green - 68.9
  • Dylan Drummond - 58.9

RB's

• Benny Snell - 60.0
  • Devine Ozigbo - 53.9
  • Mohamed Ibrahim - 46.9

OL

• Connor Galvin - 72.4
  • Germain Ifedi - 72.3
  • Kayode Awosika - 70.9
  • Colby Sorsdal - 66.7
  • Ryan Swoboda - 60.0
  • Max Pircher - 60.0
  • Darrin Paulo - 54.0
  • Obinna Eze - 42.3

DT's

• Levi Onwuzurike - 89.3
  • Christian Covington - 56.2
  • Chris Smith - 54.7
  • Brodric Martin - 54.3
  • Cory Durden - 44.1

Edge

• James Houston - 72.5

LB's

• Jack Campbell - 90.6
  • Derrick Barnes - 79.5
  • JRM - 79.1
  • Malcolm Rodriguez - 71.3
  • Trevor Nowaske - 50.7
  • Anthony Pittman - 49.6

CB's

• Brian Branch - 76.7
  • Steven Gilmore - 72.0
  • Khalil Dorsey - 64.6
  • Starling Thomas - 61.0
  • Chase Lucas - 37.5

S's

• Brandon Joseph - 78.5
  • Ifeatu Melifonwu - 70.2
  • Brady Breeze - 68.3
  • Will Harris - 33.7

Edited by Karnage84

9 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Not that this means a lot, but here are a couple of the Lions PFF scores in the pre-season so far. Focus is more so on rookies/depth pieces. This could help us get some insight on which players may make the roster and which ones don't. 

WR's

• Chase Cota - 77.2
  • Antoine Green - 68.9
  • Dylan Drummond - 58.9

RB's

• Benny Snell - 60.0
  • Devine Ozigbo - 53.9
  • Mohamed Ibrahim - 46.9

OL

• Connor Galvin - 72.4
  • Germain Ifedi - 72.3
  • Kayode Awosika - 70.9
  • Colby Sorsdal - 66.7
  • Ryan Swoboda - 60.0
  • Max Pircher - 60.0
  • Darrin Paulo - 54.0
  • Obinna Eze - 42.3

DT's

• Levi Onwuzurike - 89.3
  • Christian Covington - 56.2
  • Chris Smith - 54.7
  • Brodric Martin - 54.3
  • Cory Durden - 44.1

Edge

• James Houston - 72.5

LB's

• Jack Campbell - 90.6
  • Derrick Barnes - 79.5
  • JRM - 79.1
  • Malcolm Rodriguez - 71.3
  • Trevor Nowaske - 50.7
  • Anthony Pittman - 49.6

CB's

• Brian Branch - 76.7
  • Steven Gilmore - 72.0
  • Khalil Dorsey - 64.6
  • Starling Thomas - 61.0
  • Chase Lucas - 37.5

S's

• Brandon Joseph - 78.5
  • Ifeatu Melifonwu - 70.2
  • Brady Breeze - 68.3
  • Will Harris - 33.7

I am not sure any of those RBs make the roster unless we cut Jason Cabinda (his hands haven't really improved).  The O-Line group is really tough to predict also.  Sorsdal has been repping at RG and took some reps at LG.  Two of the three WRs could make the roster but it is a tough call right now.  I don't see Onwuzurike or Covington making the roster.  Chris Smith has probably done enough to make the PS.  James Houston is making the roster.  Nowaske and Pittman might be in a dog fight.  I don't think Chase Lucas or Khalil Dorsey make the roster.  Melifonwu's latest injury might push him off the roster despite the fact that he has improved noticeably.  I am not sure Will Harris will make the final cut either.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, Just Want A Title said:

You make a good point.  We do have a lot of depth at EDGE/DE.  I could see us making a trade for a "proven commodity"  WR.  One WR who might be interesting for me:  Dyami Brown.  He is buried on the depth chart in Washington but has really good deep speed.  I suspect we could work a player-for-player trade with him.

I was watching the latest Commanders pre-season game.  Dyami Brown was getting good separation from anyone trying to cover him but Howell was a little late on most of his throws.  I wouldn't mind seeing the Lions make a move for him at all.

On 8/18/2023 at 4:38 PM, Just Want A Title said:

You make a good point.  We do have a lot of depth at EDGE/DE.  I could see us making a trade for a "proven commodity"  WR.  One WR who might be interesting for me:  Dyami Brown.  He is buried on the depth chart in Washington but has really good deep speed.  I suspect we could work a player-for-player trade with him.

I find it sort of funny that you say we look at trading for a proven commodity at WR and then mention Brown who has less career receptions than Denzel Mims had last year.  Brown is about as unproven as they come but does have upside, similarly to Mims when he got here.  I think finding a proven commodity may be an option but I think we will move into the season with what we have, which is 4 proven commodities and a couple young guys with upside. Guys that get buried on depth charts for a couple of years like Mims/Brown rarely turn out.  

Another unproven guy who may be interesting and free if he checks out is KJ Hamler.  he was waived for a heart issue but if it is cleared, he could be a solid depth piece with upside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I find it sort of funny that you say we look at trading for a proven commodity at WR and then mention Brown who has less career receptions than Denzel Mims had last year.  Brown is about as unproven as they come but does have upside, similarly to Mims when he got here.  I think finding a proven commodity may be an option but I think we will move into the season with what we have, which is 4 proven commodities and a couple young guys with upside. Guys that get buried on depth charts for a couple of years like Mims/Brown rarely turn out.  

Another unproven guy who may be interesting and free if he checks out is KJ Hamler.  he was waived for a heart issue but if it is cleared, he could be a solid depth piece with upside. 

Proven commodities have a higher cost.  Dyami Brown wont cost that much and has the speed we are missing until Jameson Williams returns

On 8/20/2023 at 11:10 AM, Just Want A Title said:

I am not sure any of those RBs make the roster unless we cut Jason Cabinda (his hands haven't really improved).  The O-Line group is really tough to predict also.  Sorsdal has been repping at RG and took some reps at LG.  Two of the three WRs could make the roster but it is a tough call right now.  I don't see Onwuzurike or Covington making the roster.  Chris Smith has probably done enough to make the PS.  James Houston is making the roster.  Nowaske and Pittman might be in a dog fight.  I don't think Chase Lucas or Khalil Dorsey make the roster.  Melifonwu's latest injury might push him off the roster despite the fact that he has improved noticeably.  I am not sure Will Harris will make the final cut either.

I don't think there is a way that Onwuzurike is not on the roster if he is healthy.  He is two years removed from being drafted in the second round by this staff and by all accounts, has had a great camp and is one of the top performers in pre-season games.  I think Benito Jones is the DT on the roster bubble at this point and if we keep both, it will likely be at the expense of an extra OL/RB.  

I think Will Harris is likely to get cut.  With Iffy being pointed out by the staff numerous times as making huge strides, along with solid play in the preseason, I don't think they cut him lose. I do think Gilmore and/or Starling Thomas make the final roster meaning Lucas, Dorsey, Harris etc are likely cut.  

I also think Romeo Okwara is likely to be cut. Or his brother but since Julian has some ability to play LB, he is more likely to stick.  

Projected 53 Man Roster:

2 - QB: Goff, Bridgewater (Will put Hooker on PUP and may keep Sudfeld since 3rd QBs don't count against the roster limit)
4 - RB: Gibbs, Montgomery, Reynolds, Cabinda
6 - WR: ARSB, Reynolds, Marvin, Raymond, Cota, Alexander (return man).  Drummond will be on the PS
3 - TE: Laporta, Wright, Mitchell
9 - OL: Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Glasgow, Sewell, Vaitai, Sorsdal, Ifedi, Nelson, Awosika
24 Total Offense

5 - DE: Hutch, Harris, Cominsky, Paschal, Julian Okwara
5 - DT: McNeil, Buggs, Onwuzurike, Martin, Jones
6 - LB: Anzalone, Campbell, Rodrigo, Barnes, Houston, JRM
6 - CB: Sutton, Jacobs, Mosely, Branch, Gilmore, Thomas IV
4 - S: Kirby, Walker, CJGJ, Iffy
26 Total Defense

1 - K: Riley Patterson
1 - P: Jack Fox
1 - LS: Scott Daly
3 Total Special Teams

Julian Okwara may get cut to keep Romeo or we may keep another RB. We also may keep both Okwara's and cut Jones since Cominsky and Paschal can bump inside on passing downs. Either way we will be losing a solid player here.  We also may cut another edge for another DB since guys like Houston and Barnes who are listed at LB can play the edge. 

Awosika will depend on how we feel about the versatility of our other backups.  With Glasgow being our backup C and likely starting at RG, we may only keep 9 OL. I dont love our OL depth and I think this is our biggest weak spot on the roster at this time.  

Cota vs Alexander vs Drummond vs Green vs Benson is the biggest camp battle left IMO.  We likely will take 2 of these guys until Jamo is back so will be interesting to see how the staff ranks them.  Alexander has had some great returns where Cota has been the most productive in games.  Drummond is the practice star but has flopped in games.  It will come down to special teams here which is why I have Alexander in there.  I think the other slot is between Green and Cota but Cota has looked better. 

The DBs are hard to predict.  The staff obviously likes Harris because they keep bringing him back, but he has been bad this year.  The UDFA's are showing well and should make the team both from reports in practice and game tape.  Harris may be saved if Mosely isn't back to start the year but I think he will be the first cut once we get him back healthy.  

54 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think there is a way that Onwuzurike is not on the roster if he is healthy.  He is two years removed from being drafted in the second round by this staff and by all accounts, has had a great camp and is one of the top performers in pre-season games.  I think Benito Jones is the DT on the roster bubble at this point and if we keep both, it will likely be at the expense of an extra OL/RB.  

I think Will Harris is likely to get cut.  With Iffy being pointed out by the staff numerous times as making huge strides, along with solid play in the preseason, I don't think they cut him lose. I do think Gilmore and/or Starling Thomas make the final roster meaning Lucas, Dorsey, Harris etc are likely cut.  

I also think Romeo Okwara is likely to be cut. Or his brother but since Julian has some ability to play LB, he is more likely to stick.  

Onwuzurike has improved because he has finally been able to string together some practices and stay healthy.  Much like Julian Okwara, being good against 2nd and 3rd string players is one thing.  I think what he has been doing in practice is a better indicator of where he falls.  Most of the stuff I have read has Onwuzurike playing OK but he hasn't come close to getting time with the first team.  He has a lot of time to make up with respect to his development.

Benito Jones is OK for a 4th DT role but he hasn't shown much more than that.  I am not sure if that is enough to secure a roster spot.  

20 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Onwuzurike has improved because he has finally been able to string together some practices and stay healthy.  Much like Julian Okwara, being good against 2nd and 3rd string players is one thing.  I think what he has been doing in practice is a better indicator of where he falls.  Most of the stuff I have read has Onwuzurike playing OK but he hasn't come close to getting time with the first team.  He has a lot of time to make up with respect to his development.

Benito Jones is OK for a 4th DT role but he hasn't shown much more than that.  I am not sure if that is enough to secure a roster spot.  

I think talent at DT is still a big need for this team and based on what I have heard from practice and the games, he seems to be showing that talent.  I just don't see the team giving up on a guy they thought so highly of so quickly for someone who is not nearly as talented.  Benito Jones is what he is, and is a fine 4th DT, but Levi is fine as a 4th DT and can eventually be a starting DT. And I don't see the staff doing that.  I think both Okwaras are much more likely to be cut than Levi. 

• Like 1

Levi Onwuzurike, against all odds, might have played himself onto the right side of the roster bubble.  I was skeptical but he has proven myself and a lot of other people wrong.  I wrote this in another thread but I think it is worth repeating:

You have to give Levi Onwuzurike a ton of credit for battling his way back from his injury problems and playing well enough to be on the right side of the roster bubble.  This is one of the better story lines that have come from training camp.

Edited by Just Want A Title

Projected 53 Man Roster:

2 - QB: Goff, Bridgewater (Will put Hooker on PUP and keep Martinez* around on PS until Hendon is available)
4 - RB: Gibbs, Montgomery, Reynolds, Jefferson*
6 - WR: ARSB, Reynolds, Marvin, Raymond, Green*, Alexander (return man).  Drummond/Cota will be on the PS
10 - OL: Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Glasgow, Sewell, Vaitai, Sorsdal, Ifedi, Nelson, Cecil*
25 Total Offense

5 - DE: Hutch, Harris, Cominsky, Paschal, Houston
5 - DT: McNeil, Buggs, Onwuzurike, Martin, Durden*
5 - LB: Anzalone, Campbell, Rodrigo, Barnes, JRM
6 - CB: Sutton, Jacobs, Moseley*, Branch, Gilmore, Thomas IV
4 - S: Kerby, Walker, CJGJ, Iffy
25 Total Defense

1 - LS: Scott Daly
3 Total Special Teams

1. Martinez has my vote over Sudfeld. Sudfeld has showed me nothing this preseason that Bridgewater doesn’t fill better. AM is a better mobile QB to hold onto until Hendon is ready. 

2. I don’t understand how Cabinda continues to slide his way through these roster turnovers. He’s a mediocre FB who hasn’t been available often enough to justify keeping him around. I’d use that spot for another RB who has also shown some ST ability. 

3. The final WR spot(s) haven’t changed for me since the draft. Drummond, Cota, whomever can work on the practice squad. I’d keep Alexander for KR reasons alone until Jameson comes back and we need the roster spot. 

4. Our top 6 OL are set, come down to the final 3-4 guys and our top 3 performers have been Sorsdal, Ifedi and Cecil. The issue is, they are all predominantly interior guys which is why I think they’ve tried moving Sorsdal outside some in preseason. The only backup tackle we have is Nelson and he’s been rough as well. Really wouldn’t mind seeing us making a move for this spot before the season starts. 

5. IDL has been my biggest issue all offseason and it still is. I’m good with Alim and Buggs but the guys behind them are all question marks. Martin will make the team. Onwuzurike will have a chance finally to play. That leaves one spot IMO and Corey Durden has the most upside. His bull rush was a thing of beauty that I haven’t seen since Suh in Detroit. I’ll take him over Benito Jones. 

6. I’m interested in the final few DB spots. By all account Iffy has played well. Moseley might start the season on PUP. Harris has been on my roster bubble for a few years. That leaves spots for guys. Gilmore and Thomas have been the two consistent stand outs. Chase Lucas could be the first guy out and put on the practice squad as well as Brandon Joseph. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Projected 53 Man Roster:

2 - QB: Goff, Bridgewater (Will put Hooker on PUP and keep Martinez* around on PS until Hendon is available)
4 - RB: Gibbs, Montgomery, Reynolds, Jefferson*
6 - WR: ARSB, Reynolds, Marvin, Raymond, Green*, Alexander (return man).  Drummond/Cota will be on the PS
10 - OL: Decker, Jackson, Ragnow, Glasgow, Sewell, Vaitai, Sorsdal, Ifedi, Nelson, Cecil*
25 Total Offense

5 - DE: Hutch, Harris, Cominsky, Paschal, Houston
5 - DT: McNeil, Buggs, Onwuzurike, Martin, Durden*
5 - LB: Anzalone, Campbell, Rodrigo, Barnes, JRM
6 - CB: Sutton, Jacobs, Moseley*, Branch, Gilmore, Thomas IV
4 - S: Kerby, Walker, CJGJ, Iffy
25 Total Defense

1 - LS: Scott Daly
3 Total Special Teams

1. Martinez has my vote over Sudfeld. Sudfeld has showed me nothing this preseason that Bridgewater doesn’t fill better. AM is a better mobile QB to hold onto until Hendon is ready. 

2. I don’t understand how Cabinda continues to slide his way through these roster turnovers. He’s a mediocre FB who hasn’t been available often enough to justify keeping him around. I’d use that spot for another RB who has also shown some ST ability. 

3. The final WR spot(s) haven’t changed for me since the draft. Drummond, Cota, whomever can work on the practice squad. I’d keep Alexander for KR reasons alone until Jameson comes back and we need the roster spot. 

4. Our top 6 OL are set, come down to the final 3-4 guys and our top 3 performers have been Sorsdal, Ifedi and Cecil. The issue is, they are all predominantly interior guys which is why I think they’ve tried moving Sorsdal outside some in preseason. The only backup tackle we have is Nelson and he’s been rough as well. Really wouldn’t mind seeing us making a move for this spot before the season starts. 

5. IDL has been my biggest issue all offseason and it still is. I’m good with Alim and Buggs but the guys behind them are all question marks. Martin will make the team. Onwuzurike will have a chance finally to play. That leaves one spot IMO and Corey Durden has the most upside. His bull rush was a thing of beauty that I haven’t seen since Suh in Detroit. I’ll take him over Benito Jones. 

6. I’m interested in the final few DB spots. By all account Iffy has played well. Moseley might start the season on PUP. Harris has been on my roster bubble for a few years. That leaves spots for guys. Gilmore and Thomas have been the two consistent stand outs. Chase Lucas could be the first guy out and put on the practice squad as well as Brandon Joseph. 

I suspect that Jason Cabinda's role might be taken up by one of the TEs.  His talent level may not be good enough to make our roster at this point. 

Some folks voiced concerned about having both Steven Gilmore and Starling Thomas V at the back end of our roster.  My response to that:  The Chiefs won a Super Bowl with Trent McDuffie starting as a rookie and rookie 7th round pick Jaylen Watson getting a lot of playing time.  I don't see having both of them on the roster as a problem.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I suspect that Jason Cabinda's role might be taken up by one of the TEs.  His talent level may not be good enough to make our roster at this point. 

Some folks voiced concerned about having both Steven Gilmore and Starling Thomas V at the back end of our roster.  My response to that:  The Chiefs won a Super Bowl with Trent McDuffie starting as a rookie and rookie 7th round pick Jaylen Watson getting a lot of playing time.  I don't see having both of them on the roster as a problem.  

I don’t mind two rookies at the backend when we have upgraded the guys ahead of them tremendously. I don’t understand keeping vets as depth if your starters are vets and you cannot use leadership as reasoning to keep less talented players. Gilmore/Thomas have earned spots IMO.