2023 Lions Roster

Louis Friend

Lions just extended Kalif Raymond in a shocking move IMO. I sort of expected him to be on the chopping block with the emergence of some young WRs like Drummond who are much cheaper.  I wonder if Marvin Jones spot is safe on this roster after a move like this.  He is aging and on a one year deal so if he isn't helping, we may move on from him.  Holmes showed he isn't afraid to cut guaranteed contracts in 2021 when he cut Perriman. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/8/11/23828783/detroit-lions-kalif-raymond-2-year-extension-contract-details

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Lions just extended Kalif Raymond in a shocking move IMO. I sort of expected him to be on the chopping block with the emergence of some young WRs like Drummond who are much cheaper.  I wonder if Marvin Jones spot is safe on this roster after a move like this.  He is aging and on a one year deal so if he isn't helping, we may move on from him.  Holmes showed he isn't afraid to cut guaranteed contracts in 2021 when he cut Perriman. 

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/8/11/23828783/detroit-lions-kalif-raymond-2-year-extension-contract-details

I've heard he's had an emergence as a WR this off season and with Jackson's sudden retirement he's the likely KR as well..

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 2:00 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t think the young receivers are as much of a threat to established guys than the media is trying to portray. I think the top 5 guys (Jamo, ARSB, Jones, Reynolds, Kalif) are safe and the Lions will keep one or two (during Jamo’s suspension) out of those young guys. Rest will end up on practice squad. 

I will say, Justin Jackson retiring and Shane Zylstra getting injured opened two spots on the offense I thought were settled. I had us keeping 4 RB and 4 TE based on comments Ben Johnson made about different sets he wanted to use this season. I wonder if they can flip someone like Maurice Alexander into one of those spots and use him on PR as well with Jackson gone. 

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions waived Denzel Mims this morning. 

Dylan Drummond and Antoine Green have been doing pretty well.  Antoine Green has been a bit inconsistent but is good on Special Teams.  Drummond has been making plays consistently in the passing game.  Personally, I think they have shown more than Trinity Benson.  Even Chase Cota could be in the mix based on his recent play and our lack of a taller WR but I still think he is headed for the Practice Squad to start the season.  I could see Dylan Drummond, Antoine Green and Chase Cota all being in the mix for  WR5 and WR6 roles.   The Lions have shown that they aren't afraid to roll with younger players.  

One WR to watch is Josh Reynolds.  He has had a quiet camp so far.  Is he a veteran WR who seems to have chemistry with Jared Goff?  Yes.  Does he contribute on Special Teams?  I don't think so.  However, Kalif Raymond has been playing really well.  Dylan Drummond and Antoine Green have played surprisingly well.  The Lions have shown that they are not afraid to roll with young players.  That along with the addition of Marvin Jones Jr could make his roster spot less secure than it was entering training camp.  It will be interested to see what happens when we make our final cuts.

39 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Dylan Drummond and Antoine Green have been doing pretty well.  Antoine Green has been a bit inconsistent but is good on Special Teams.  Drummond has been making plays consistently in the passing game.  Personally, I think they have shown more than Trinity Benson.  Even Chase Cota could be in the mix based on his recent play and our lack of a taller WR but I still think he is headed for the Practice Squad to start the season.  I could see Dylan Drummond, Antoine Green and Chase Cota all being in the mix for  WR5 and WR6 roles.   The Lions have shown that they aren't afraid to roll with younger players.  

One WR to watch is Josh Reynolds.  He has had a quiet camp so far.  Is he a veteran WR who seems to have chemistry with Jared Goff?  Yes.  Does he contribute on Special Teams?  I don't think so.  However, Kalif Raymond has been playing really well.  Dylan Drummond and Antoine Green have played surprisingly well.  The Lions have shown that they are not afraid to roll with young players.  That along with the addition of Marvin Jones Jr could make his roster spot less secure than it was entering training camp.  It will be interested to see what happens when we make our final cuts.

I think Marvin Jones is at bigger risk of being let go than Reynolds.  When Reynolds arrived mid-season two years ago is when Goff started to take off, as did ARSB.  Marvin being older, no connection with this staff or players really from his first go round here, and the fact he has missed a big chunk of camp means if we cut a vet, he is probably first in line.  

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think Marvin Jones is at bigger risk of being let go than Reynolds.  When Reynolds arrived mid-season two years ago is when Goff started to take off, as did ARSB.  Marvin being older, no connection with this staff or players really from his first go round here, and the fact he has missed a big chunk of camp means if we cut a vet, he is probably first in line.  

I feel like Marvin is going to be cut at some point during this season and will then stick around in some capacity as a part of the staff. 

• Like 2

If we do look for help at WR, who are guys you could see?

I think Corey Davis or Mecole Hardeman is going to get cut and would be worth bringing in for nothing once cut.  Same with Sterling Shepard if he gets cut.  I could also see Allen Robinson getting cut.  

Free agents are thin but I wouldn't hate bringing in Sammy Watkins.  Same with Jarvis Landry.  I dont think either is great but adds another solid vet body but at the same time might be tough to have another WR who doesn't play special teams. 

25 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

As for WR help, I wonder if the Chargers would discuss Josh Palmer. He's 4th on their depth chart now and the Chargers might take one of our edge players, which we have one too many of, in addition to a pick.

You make a good point.  We do have a lot of depth at EDGE/DE.  I could see us making a trade for a "proven commodity"  WR.  One WR who might be interesting for me:  Dyami Brown.  He is buried on the depth chart in Washington but has really good deep speed.  I suspect we could work a player-for-player trade with him.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

You make a good point.  We do have a lot of depth at EDGE/DE.  I could see us making a trade for a "proven commodity"  WR.  One WR who might be interesting for me:  Dyami Brown.  He is buried on the depth chart in Washington but has really good deep speed.  I suspect we could work a player-for-player trade with him.

Washington doesn't need DL help though