Commanders sign Jacoby Brissett (1 yr/$10M, $8M GTD)

NYRaider

Well, if ppl were wondering if the FO and coaching staff were truly going to commit to Sam Howell, look no more.   Brissett is a capable backup, but won't ever have the fanbase thinking there's something there to consider long-term.    Definitely want to have an established vet to be there in case Howell gets hurt, or really, really struggles. 

Still, it's all systems go for Howell in WAS this year.   It's kinda ironic that Howell could end up being the best QB in the 2022 draft class (obviously Pickett & Ridder have something to say about that).   For all the misery WAS fans have endured, that would be something else even if he's just "decent".

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Well, if ppl were wondering if the FO and coaching staff were truly going to commit to Sam Howell, look no more.   Brissett is a capable backup, but won't ever have the fanbase thinking there's something there to consider long-term.    Definitely want to have an established vet to be there in case Howell gets hurt, or really, really struggles. 

Still, it's all systems go for Howell in WAS this year.   It's kinda ironic that Howell could end up being the best QB in the 2022 draft class (obviously Pickett & Ridder have something to say about that).   For all the misery WAS fans have endured, that would be something else even if he's just "decent".

I honestly think Brissett is going to start for them.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I honestly think Brissett is going to start for them.

Brissett did OK in CLE - but CLE's outstanding OL and emphasis on the run game, was a perfect setup for Brissett.    The biggest bugaboo with Brissett is absolutely zero feel for pressure in the pocket, and a longer delivery time and processing time to get through reads.   Those are minimized to the nth degree in CLE.   I don't foresee the same level of success anywhere else without the same kind of setup.   And frankly, in a TC competition and preseason competition, I think we'd see that show out (it certainly does over time when you look at Brissett's tape before 2022 - just that CLE's setup allows those flaws to be masked heavily).

Really think it's Howell's year, and he'll be OK.   Nothing earth shattering, but if I were to be forced to say, far better than Pickett's 1st year in PIT.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Forge said:

What's interesting is that there are only 2M in incentives.   That's a deal you make if you want a top insurance policy, but don't envision he's the starter (otherwise, there would be a ton of incentives added in - of course, unless Brissett is his own agent lol).

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is there zero interest in bringing Minshew back?

He thinks or thought he'd get a shot Starting elsewhere.  Maybe when the musical chairs stops, there is no opening, he will come back on the cheap? 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn't surprise me if he signed in Arizona for a season. Having a hard time finding any starting gig out there right now not drafting a FQB this year besides them.

• Like 1

Jacoby helped us to be competitive and will bring a quality presence to that organization. 

I actually really like Sam Howell. I think he can be a solid starter in the league. He was probably the best or second best qb in the class last season.

With the weapons they have there he can be successful but Jacoby will be great to push him and be a great resource. 

• Like 1