Brandon Cooks Traded to Cowboys

CAPJ

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Great, we added a a guy that had 1,000 yards receiving with Davis Mills, but is that going to help our offense? No, not until we replace Dak with a QB at least as good as Mills.

Maybe we should just trade for Jacoby Brisket, then?  After all, Amari Cooper had 1,160 yards, 9 TDs and 15 yards per reception with him compared to 865 yards and 12.7 ypc w Dak.  Brisket and Dak put up nearly identical stats last year.  And we can get Brisket for $40m less per year than Dak. Seems like a no brainer. 

47 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

You’re not being pessimistic at all, in my opinion. You know my position on Dak. It hasn’t changed from the day we drafted him. What these moves will signal and highlight is that Dak is the real problem, not the weapons. But, in order for the myopic fans and the executive braintrust to accept that is to load him up with weapons and then fail, anyway. It’s the only way to validate moving on.

I have no problem loading him up with weapons, but give him the RIGHT weapons. Give me a 6-2 210/220 possesion guy that gets between the defender and the QB. 

Imo, Dak needs 3 things to succeed, and by succeed I mean win a SB.

1. Monster running game.

2. Big, possesion type receivers to protect his accuracy issues.

3. A top flight defense to keep him from getting involved in shootouts.

If the idea of signing Cooks is to take double coverage off of Lamb, I don't believe it will work. 

Opposing defenses know Prescott's limitations and until he address these issues and fixes them, no defense will play him any differently, and why should they?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

I have no problem loading him up with weapons, but give him the RIGHT weapons. Give me a 6-2 210/220 possesion guy that gets between the defender and the QB. 

Imo, Dak needs 3 things to succeed, and by succeed I mean win a SB.

1. Monster running game.

2. Big, possesion type receivers to protect his accuracy issues.

3. A top flight defense to keep him from getting involved in shootouts.

If the idea of signing Cooks is to take double coverage off of Lamb, I don't believe it will work. 

Opposing defenses know Prescott's limitations and until he address these issues and fixes them, no defense will play him any differently, and why should they?

Pretty much describes what 26 other NFL starting QB’s need to win a Super Bowl 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

People really have an agenda against the guy and it's old. 

I don’t think people have an ‘agenda.’ We have seen Dak in 6 playoff games; he routinely comes up small, and some people notice. That’s all.

In 6 playoff appearances, He’s thrown for less than 270 yards 4 times. Less than 230 yards twice. He’s thrown for just 1 TD four times. He’s had at least 1 interception four times. The average passer rating league wide is about 91. He’s failed to reach average 3 times. His passer rating has been under 70 twice. Having a passer rating under 70 is so bad that it’s almost hard to do. For instance, Mahomes has 1 career game under 70 and it was his first year as a starter, Dak did it 3 times just last year including the playoffs. Impressive really. 

It’s not an agenda. It’s an observation. Daks had WRs like Dez Bryant, Amari Cooper, CD Lamb, TY Hilton, Cole Beasley, Michael Gallup, Terrence Williams, and Jason Witten in those 6 playoff games, and the results haven’t been pretty. It’s reasonable to not expect Brandin Cooks to be the savior, while recognizing he’s an upgrade. 

25 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Maybe we should just trade for Jacoby Brisket, then?  After all, Amari Cooper had 1,160 yards, 9 TDs and 15 yards per reception with him compared to 865 yards and 12.7 ypc w Dak.  Brisket and Dak put up nearly identical stats last year.  And we can get Brisket for $40m less per year than Dak. Seems like a no brainer. 

Too bad the Commanders already signed him. Hopefully he doesn’t go Sam Howell on us. 

5 minutes ago, PincheJimmy said:

Don’t waste your time. It’s pointless there are those of us who understand that Dak is a top ten QB who does indeed have a ton of holes like a lot of other QB who also had for the FIRST time in his career a interception issue.  

Then there are the others who feel it’s just luck or some other special  magic that Dallas always seems to have a top 3 or better offense when Dak plays

I am not sure about Cooks he is a HQ vet with speed which will help   Still think WR needs to be in the table in early rounds 

30 minutes ago, The_Slamman said:

Amari is an excellent receiver who helped out the Browns offense. I expect Cooks to be an excellent receiver who helps out the Cowboys offense.

The next time “Doesn’t matter, got Dak” becomes an interesting addition a conversation on this forum, it’ll be the first.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz

6 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I don’t think people have an ‘agenda.’ We have seen Dak in 6 playoff games; he routinely comes up small, and some people notice. That’s all.

In 6 playoff appearances, He’s thrown for less than 270 yards 4 times. Less than 230 yards twice. He’s thrown for just 1 TD four times. He’s had at least 1 interception four times. The average passer rating league wide is about 91. He’s failed to reach average 3 times. His passer rating has been under 70 twice. Having a passer rating under 70 is so bad that it’s almost hard to do. For instance, Mahomes has 1 career game under 70 and it was his first year as a starter, Dak did it 3 times just last year including the playoffs. Impressive really. 

It’s not an agenda. It’s an observation. Daks had WRs like Dez Bryant, Amari Cooper, CD Lamb, TY Hilton, Cole Beasley, Michael Gallup, Terrence Williams, and Jason Witten in those 6 playoff games, and the results haven’t been pretty. It’s reasonable to not expect Brandin Cooks to be the savior, while recognizing he’s an upgrade. 

What is Dak’s playoff numbers in the 4 games not against SF. YES if we are going to get the SF playoff version of Dak more often then not during the season and playoffs say 30% For sure I would be on the band wagon to cut him. But that isn’t the case.  I also understand that this narrative will never go away until we have the final game of the season not be Dak’s worst game of the season like the last two years 

Hmm oh well got nothing else going on tell Gonzaga basketball

Brisket game averages v Dak

comp a game 14.75-21.75 
% 64-66
yrds 163-238 

TD 0.75-1.9

Int .375  -   1.25     Okay he was better here

rating   88.9-91.1

Sure as we know Dak for sure had an interception problem.  But otherwise stats are not even close.      And just fyi Stafford won the supper bowl yet lead the league in interceptions.   

50 minutes ago, quiller said:

What is Dak’s playoff numbers in the 4 games not against SF. 

He’s had 1 ELITE playoff game against TB last year. 305 yards - 4 TDs - no picks - 143.3 rating

He’s had 1 good playoff game in 2016 against GB: 302 yards - 3 TDs - 1 INT - 103.2 rating

He’s had 1 Above Average playoff game against the Rams in 2018: 266 yards - 1 TD - no picks - 99.2 rating

He’s had 1 Below Average playoff game against Seattle in 2018: 266 yards - 1 TD - 1 pick - 83.6 rating

And then he’s had 2 absolutely terrible playoff games against SF. 254 yards - 1 TD - 1 Int - 69.3 rating and 206 yards -1 TD - 2 picks - 66.3 rating

YES if we are going to get the SF playoff version of Dak more often then not during the season and playoffs say 30% For sure I would be on the band wagon to cut him. 

In the 14 games Dak played last year including playoffs he had a passer rating below league average 6 times. That’s 43%. He had a passer rating San Francisco playoff bad five times out of 14 that’s 36%. So join the band wagon I guess. 

I also understand that this narrative will never go away until we have the final game of the season not be Dak’s worst game of the season like the last two years 

That’s the thing… it wasn’t even his worst game of the season. Week 1 against TB he had a passer rating of 47.2 Week 17 against the commanders his passer rating was 45.8. 

Edited by DaBoys

Just now, DaBoys said:

He’s had 1 ELITE playoff game against TB last year. 305 yards - 4 TDs - no picks - 143.3 rating

He’s had 1 good playoff game in 2016 against GB: 302 yards - 3 TDs - 1 INT - 103.2 rating

He’s had 1 Above Average playoff game against the Rams in 2018: 266 yards - 1 TD - no picks - 99.2 rating

He’s had 1 Below Average playoff game against Seattle in 2018: 266 yards - 1 TD - 1 pick - 83.6 rating

And then he’s had 2 absolutely terrible playoff games against SF. 254 yards - 1 TD - 1 Int - 69.3 rating and 206 yards -1 TD - 2 picks - 66.3 rating

In the 14 games Dak played last year including playoffs he had a passer rating below league average 6 times. That’s 43%. He had a passer rating San Francisco playoff bad five times out of 14 that’s 36%. So join the band wagon I guess. 

That’s the thing… it wasn’t even his worst game of the season. Week 1 against TB he had a passer rating of 48.28. Week 17 against the commanders his passer rating was 45.8. 

He was well below average in the Rams game as well. He stunk up the field for the first three quarters and only started performing mid-way into the 4th quarter.

17 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

He was well below average in the Rams game as well. He stunk up the field for the first three quarters and only started performing mid-way into the 4th quarter.

I agree he wasn’t good, but he managed to get through the game without throwing a pick, had 266 yards, and he did have a TD pass. Which is just about average. It also goes to show you just how unimpressive an ‘average’ performance is, which why it’s crazy a so called top 10 QB had been legitimately below average in 3 of 6 playoff games, and 5 of 12 regular season games last year. 

Edited by DaBoys

2 hours ago, PincheJimmy said:

Not really, I'm saying that if Dak plays within himself he could be a very dangerous QB and very effective.

Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, to name a few, can take full advantage of a player with Cooks skill set. They can win with a less than top 3 defense, they can overcome a lot of deficiencies on the team. They make the players around them better.

Dak does not do that. He is the opposite of that. He needs players that can play to HIS skill set. Guys that can out muscle defensive backs that are looking to jump routes (see Dal vs SF 2023 Div game). 

Not guys that can get behind a defense only to not have the ball thrown to them or thrown nowhere near them. (See same game).

Now the defense is close. If some of our rookies can take the next step next year, we could have an elite defense.

Still need a bellcow rb now that Zeke is finished, a reliable kicker and possesion receivers.

So, sorry if I'm not all fuzzy over Cooks. All I can say is I hope I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, quiller said:

Hmm oh well got nothing else going on tell Gonzaga basketball

Brisket game averages v Dak

comp a game 14.75-21.75 
% 64-66
yrds 163-238 

TD 0.75-1.9

Int .375  -   1.25     Okay he was better here

rating   88.9-91.1

Sure as we know Dak for sure had an interception problem.  But otherwise stats are not even close.      And just fyi Stafford won the supper bowl yet lead the league in interceptions.   

The stats are nearly identical on a per throw basis.  They are within 2% of completion %.  They are within .2 in ypa.  Dak has a better td percentage.  Brisket has a better int percentage.  They are within 2 points in QBs rating.  Like I said… nearly identical.  Let me put it this way… Dak sure as hell isn’t $40m per year better.  Brisket is making $8m.  Given the close margins, at most Dak should be making $10m.