Around the NFL: 2023

GW21

Rams might be the biggest threat in the dance to the 49ers from the NFC. At least if they make the playoffs, they'd have to win against the #2, and #1 seeds (assuming Rams are the 7th). If the 49ers have the number #1 seed, hard to see them going #2, and #1 on the road. 

I almost want the 49ers to clinch #1, and even if they don't have to, play the starters in the final week against the Rams to keep them out of the playoffs if they can knock them out with a loss. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

7 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Rams might be the biggest threat in the dance to the 49ers from the NFC. At least if they make the playoffs, they'd have to win against the #2, and #1 seeds (assuming Rams are the 7th). If the 49ers have the number #1 seed, hard to see them going #2, and #1 on the road. 

I almost want the 49ers to clinch #1, and even if they don't have to, play the starters in the final week against the Rams to keep them out of the playoffs if they can knock them out with a loss. 

I think most likely scenario is Rams 6th seed, Seahawks 7th, so Rams would probably play the Lions and that is a winnable game for them 

14 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I think most likely scenario is Rams 6th seed, Seahawks 7th, so Rams would probably play the Lions and that is a winnable game for them 

Yeah probably. Perfect storm is that the 49ers clinch early, and have the ability to knock out the Rams in the final week. They probably won't fall farther than the 7th though. So then maybe you rest the starters anyway. Annoying. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, Rams are a decent team, maybe top 5 in the NFC. But they dominated the Commanders & Saints yet only end up winning both games by 8 points each. And both the Commanders/Saints are mid at best 

Also, just a few weeks ago everyone was saying the Packers were the WC team you didn't want to face, after beating the Lions & Chiefs. Then they lose to 1 of the worst teams in the league in the Giants & get bullied by a mediocre team in the Bucs. Things/narratives change in the NFL in an instant. 

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Don't get me wrong, Rams are a decent team, maybe top 5 in the NFC. But they dominated the Commanders & Saints yet only end up winning both games by 8 points each. And both the Commanders/Saints are mid at best 

Also, just a few weeks ago everyone was saying the Packers were the WC team you didn't want to face, after beating the Lions & Chiefs. Then they lose to 1 of the worst teams in the league in the Giants & get bullied by a mediocre team in the Bucs. Things/narratives change in the NFL in an instant. 

Rams have a couple things that I would rather not face in the playoffs, which is a competent coach and an offense that can get on a roll.  This feels like a kind of generic criteria but that rams have the ability to do what the Vikings did to us... complete almost every pass and keep the chains moving.  Yes we made mistakes and hurt ourselves and we were on the road but when teams beat Shanny 4 out of 5 times its by 1000 wounds.

This is part of the reason I am not concerned with the Cowboys/Eagles, they will make their mistakes and they would be punished.  Lions could be a wild card, I do not trust Goff as much but they can work efficiently.  

Saying these things, on an even field and healthy with Shanny at the front I like our odds in any game.  But... if the cowboys/eagles have 10% chance to beat us I would put the rams at 20%.  No I am not scared of them but I think that they match up better with us than other teams do.  I also do not trust any divisional opponent, it feels like upsets most often happen by divisional teams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Rams also smacked down the Browns in Cleveland. Biggest annoyance of all is just that even though Shanahan has dominated McVay record-wise recently, there is the specter of the lone playoff loss where it ultimately mattered, and the Rams just know the 49ers so well. 

• Like 1

Rams offense with Williams/Puka/Kupp has been unstoppable and that's the scary thing in facing them. Even in the first meeting, we weren't exactly stopping them until the end. The defense can be had so I feel like we will score as we usually do but it will be another annoying game until we pull away. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Nick Mullens doing Nick Mullens things ...

Nick Mullens going for like 10 yards an attempt and throwing four picks is maximum Nick Mullens. Also, it's a data point that maybe Shanahan + weapons maybe aren't quite lifting guys quite as nuttily as one might think? Nick Mullens has been exactly Nick Mullens.

48 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Purdy is the only good QB from the '22 draft. Pickett, Willis, Ridder, Howell, etc none of them have really shown anything and Howell got benched two weeks in a row 

He's also better than anyone in the '21 draft, including Lawrence

Many will still take Lawrence over him and blame his circumstances for why he is not better. And I'd argue that Lawrence IS better than his actual numbers but the man is kind of a TO machine. He needs to fix that going forward. Just threw his 2nd INT for his 12th of the year and he has a bunch of fumbles as well. 

• Like 2