2023 Draft Rumors - Smoke or Fire?

Just Want A Title

I'm at work for another 4 hours with nothing to do so I'm doing various mock drafts and trying to change it to each scenario to see what I would do. Stroud fell to #6 and I am split on the decision. He's QB2 in this draft and one of the top 4 players, so the value is good. But I don't like drafting him to sit. But damn, he's enticing if there. He's ready now IMO, would have a great OL, good weapons across the board and we'd have a cheap QB for the next 5 years during the beginning of our window. 

QB-Goff/Stroud

RB-Swift/Montgomery/Reynolds

WR-Jones/Reynolds

WR-Williams/Raymond

SLOT-St. Brown

TE-Wright/Mitchell/Zylstra

LT-Decker

LG-Jackson

C-Ragnow

RG-Vaitai/Glasgow

RT-Sewell

The possibility of having a QB on a 5-year rookie deal allows us to strengthen areas of weakness and further bolster areas of strength, this is when teams make that jump to legit contention, it gives the Lions a 5-year window of being able to pay certain players like St. Brown all while still keeping a solid core of good to great players.  From a fan's perspective, it is not desirable because as fans we want instant success whereas, from a front office and head coach's perspective, it is forward-thinking and the logical move to make. The fan in me says no, draft an impact player at 6, and the logical part of me says trade up and grab your QB to really strengthen the future of your franchise.  It's a dilemma that I do not wish on anyone because if you go the future route then a good portion of the fan base will feel let down and be disgruntled and if you go the immediate impact route then people will be happy now but a few years from now it may all fall apart without that cushion afforded by drafting your future QB.  

4 minutes ago, MrLionzz said:

The fan in me says no, draft an impact player at 6, and the logical part of me says trade up and grab your QB to really strengthen the future of your franchise. 

For me, the only 2 QBs worth taking in the first round are Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. I'm not high on Richardson or Levis. When we were teetering with a 2-6 record and top 3 pick, grabbing a QB was an easy decision. Sitting at #6 after a winning season and possible playoff window opening, taking a lesser QB to site and "waste" a top pick is very hard for me to justify. But if Stroud is there... that is a whole different situation for me and something I think we need to consider. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

For me, the only 2 QBs worth taking in the first round are Bryce Young and CJ Stroud. I'm not high on Richardson or Levis. When we were teetering with a 2-6 record and top 3 pick, grabbing a QB was an easy decision. Sitting at #6 after a winning season and possible playoff window opening, taking a lesser QB to site and "waste" a top pick is very hard for me to justify. But if Stroud is there... that is a whole different situation for me and something I think we need to consider. 

I think it would have to be Stroud or Young also, Richardson is too much of a what-if, and Levis is not worthy of a first in my opinion, I would honestly put Hooker well above both Richarson and Levis.  Stroud makes me think about how the offense would look with a QB with great accuracy, a strong arm, great decision-making, mobility, and ample weapons at his disposal.  Stroud and Ohio State have always been good at short to intermediate-crossing routes allowing the run after the catch which both St. Brown and Jamo excel at.  I am torn, as I will be for the next week while I constantly try to dream up scenarios that fit, I won't be satisfied until Sunday when it is all said and done, but by then I will be stressing out over UDFAs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Question: Say Stroud is available at #6, do we draft him?

1. Carolina Panthers- Bryce Young

2. Houston Texans- Will Anderson

3. Team trades up- Anthony Richardson

4. Indianapolis Colts- Will Levis

5. Seattle Seahawks- Jalen Carter

6. Detroit Lions- ??????????????????

100% yes

43 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

When the post-season draft process started, I thought Anthony Richardson was a prospect that would have to sit 1-two years.  As the evaluation process has unfolded, I have gotten more comfortable with him as a prospect.  He might not be as much of a project as I first thought.  He will definitely have to sit for his rookie year but he could develop a lot faster than folks think.

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I'm at work for another 4 hours with nothing to do so I'm doing various mock drafts and trying to change it to each scenario to see what I would do. Stroud fell to #6 and I am split on the decision. He's QB2 in this draft and one of the top 4 players, so the value is good. But I don't like drafting him to sit. But damn, he's enticing if there. He's ready now IMO, would have a great OL, good weapons across the board and we'd have a cheap QB for the next 5 years during the beginning of our window. 

QB-Goff/Stroud

RB-Swift/Montgomery/Reynolds

WR-Jones/Reynolds

WR-Williams/Raymond

SLOT-St. Brown

TE-Wright/Mitchell/Zylstra

LT-Decker

LG-Jackson

C-Ragnow

RG-Vaitai/Glasgow

RT-Sewell

I did a mock on a simulator the other day where Stroud fell and the Mock went something like this:

Stroud

Bijian Robinson

Steve Avila

Tucker Kraft

Garrett Williams

Jake Moody

Moro Ojomo

Marte Mapu

Nick Hampton

Obviously most people would hate this but if we took Stroud I oddly enough don't think I would mind it.  It would set up Goff in the short term and Stroud in the long term for success 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Question: Say Stroud is available at #6, do we draft him?

1. Carolina Panthers- Bryce Young

2. Houston Texans- Will Anderson

3. Team trades up- Anthony Richardson

4. Indianapolis Colts- Will Levis

5. Seattle Seahawks- Jalen Carter

6. Detroit Lions- ??????????????????

I think would prefer Witherspoon or Gonzalez but I know the correct answer is to take Stroud.  The more you think about it the more you know it's the right call.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

IF this is the real reason the Texans end up passing on Stroud I truly feed bad for Texans fans. Feels weird to type as a Lions fan.

Stuff like this can make a difference sometimes.  It is the job of an agent to get the best deal for their player and look out for their interests.  However, if they do that in a way that too demanding or even toxic it can hurt a player.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

IF this is the real reason the Texans end up passing on Stroud I truly feed bad for Texans fans. Feels weird to type as a Lions fan.

The NFL like most career fields rely heavily upon relationships. No one wants to work with someone they don’t respect. It seems petty on the outside, but we don’t know what happened in those meetings. If they are not enamored with Stroud AND they have to deal with that agent, I could see them passing for a great player at another position. 

6 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

The NFL like most career fields rely heavily upon relationships. No one wants to work with someone they don’t respect. It seems petty on the outside, but we don’t know what happened in those meetings. If they are not enamored with Stroud AND they have to deal with that agent, I could see them passing for a great player at another position. 

If they don't think he's a franchise QB, then who his agent is is irrelevant. If they feel he's a franchise QB, but don't want to draft him because of his agent, that's a shame for the fanbase imo. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, Just Want A Title said:

I was listening to the podcast below and was surprised on the feedback on Christian Gonzalez.  He was described as "not a knee cap biter"  and "sees football as a job".  It was a surprisingly negative assessment.  Personally, I see a player that turns 21 in June 2023 and has a pretty high ceiling.  He also seems to have a pretty high floor.  Has this come up any where else?

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/20/detroit-lions-podcast-guest-emory-hunt-lions-draft-talk-goff-jamo-voluntary-workouts/

I am not placing too much stock in that.  Still, I might call that 75% smoke, 25% fire

This is a different evaluation of Christian Gonzales and probably more objective.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/4/24/23694693/2023-nfl-draft-why-detroit-lions-should-select-christian-gonzalez-cornerback-oregon

The rumor about a trade-down from 18 makes a lot of sense.  Most of the players left on the board at that point will have probably a similar grade.  There is a ton of value in Rounds 2 and 3.  Getting some additional picks in that range would be pretty useful.  Kansas City is rumored to be looking to move up.  I could see them moving to 18 if one of the top-shelf OT prospects are still there.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2023/4/24/23695793/2023-nfl-draft-rumor-detroit-detroit-lions-trade-down-pick-18-calls

Edited by Just Want A Title