2023 Draft Rumors - Smoke or Fire?

Just Want A Title

On 4/18/2023 at 3:07 PM, Just Want A Title said:

The Lions have played their hand close to the vest on trading up from #6.  I have to give credit to Brad Holmes for putting the Lions in a position to do just about anything the want/need to do in this draft.  If the Lions were able to move up to get him that would be a great situation also.

The other player that is linked with a Lions trade is Will Anderson.  Is he a very good prospect? Yes.  Is he elite?  It is harder to say yes on that.  If he plays as an OLB in a 3-4 he will be very good.  I don't know if he is as good a fit for a 4-X defense.

Anderson isn't a perfect fit for our system having said that he's a guy you find a way to make it work.  I will go on the record as saying I'm all for trading up (depending on the cost obviously) for Anderson.

I was listening to the podcast below and was surprised on the feedback on Christian Gonzalez.  He was described as "not a knee cap biter"  and "sees football as a job".  It was a surprisingly negative assessment.  Personally, I see a player that turns 21 in June 2023 and has a pretty high ceiling.  He also seems to have a pretty high floor.  Has this come up any where else?

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/20/detroit-lions-podcast-guest-emory-hunt-lions-draft-talk-goff-jamo-voluntary-workouts/

I am not placing too much stock in that.  Still, I might call that 75% smoke, 25% fire

2 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was listening to the podcast below and was surprised on the feedback on Christian Gonzalez.  He was described as "not a knee cap biter"  and "sees football as a job".  It was a surprisingly negative assessment.  Personally, I see a player that turns 21 in June 2023 and has a pretty high ceiling.  He also seems to have a pretty high floor.  Has this come up any where else?

https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/20/detroit-lions-podcast-guest-emory-hunt-lions-draft-talk-goff-jamo-voluntary-workouts/

I am not placing too much stock in that.  Still, I might call that 75% smoke, 25% fire

He gets by on measurables. People who covet Gonzalez like him because he's tall and works out well. His game tape is okay, but he won't wow you. He just doesn't have the same desire and intensity of someone like Witherspoon. If you are talking about a top ten DB, you want a menace... a Witherspoon, a Sauce... not a Jaycee Horn. 

27 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

He gets by on measurables. People who covet Gonzalez like him because he's tall and works out well. His game tape is okay, but he won't wow you. He just doesn't have the same desire and intensity of someone like Witherspoon. If you are talking about a top ten DB, you want a menace... a Witherspoon, a Sauce... not a Jaycee Horn. 

Gets by on measurables?  That is a pretty bold statement.  He has had 50 tackles in each of the last two years.  Based on the spreadsheet in a different thread, he had 4 missed tackles last season.  Compare his stats with Devon Witherspoon stats after their Junior season.  Fyi, Devon Witherspoon had "0" interceptions in his Junior season while Gonzales had 4.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-gonzalez-2.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/devon-witherspoon-1.html

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Gets by on measurables?  That is a pretty bold statement.  He has had 50 tackles in each of the last two years.  Based on the spreadsheet in a different thread, he had 4 missed tackles last season.  Compare his stats with Devon Witherspoon stats after their Junior season.  Fyi, Devon Witherspoon had "0" interceptions in his Junior season while Gonzales had 4.

Why am I just using Junior season? That seems cherry picking to me. And bulk stats don't mean much. I want to watch film. Are they in position? Do they get the stop? Do they impact the game? Does the QB start looking away from them? Game film will always out weigh measurable to me. Sorry. Probably why my rankings don't change after the combine and people starting to watch highlights of these guys. 

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

so qbs didnt look witherspoons way as much...

and really tackles is your assesment? come on you're better then that...tackles dont mean jack ****. missed tackles maybe...but tackles??? lol  thanks for the laugh

give me a guy with heart and fire over another combine guy. combine guys stink. havent we figured this out??? just look from the past 10+ years of a guy that flies up because of combine to not do anything....

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

That is one of the critiques of Witherspoon - his best play has been this last year only. 

Overview
Witherspoon is a fun watch but requires evaluators to carefully consider his strengths and weaknesses relative to scheme. He plays with anticipation, route feel and a consistent sense of urgency to prevent catches, as displayed by his high number of pass breakups. He plays with ballhawking eyes and good balance from zone coverage and is very aggressive tackling both after the catch and in run support. There are snaps where he gets behind and stays behind due to a lack of premium speed and closing burst, so he might require help over the top or a more zone-oriented scheme to help him shine. The playmaking mentality and traits give him a solid chance to become a CB2 in the league.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/devon-witherspoon/32005749-5414-3920-4168-4be52b4fc3cf

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Why am I just using Junior season? That seems cherry picking to me. And bulk stats don't mean much. I want to watch film. Are they in position? Do they get the stop? Do they impact the game? Does the QB start looking away from them? Game film will always out weigh measurable to me. Sorry. Probably why my rankings don't change after the combine and people starting to watch highlights of these guys. 

I am going by their first three seasons and their development arc.  Devon Witherspoon wasn't considered a first round pick, let alone CB#1 after his junior season.

1 minute ago, Just Want A Title said:

I am going by their first three seasons and their development arc.  Devon Witherspoon wasn't considered a first round pick, let alone CB#1 after his junior season.

Lance is suggesting he's a CB2 with a draft comp of Levi Wallace. 

That's not exactly a guy you take at #6 overall. 

Now I'm super confused. 

2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

One other point with Christian Gonzales:  He doesn't turn 21 until June of this year.  His performance will probably improve as he matures physically.  Devon Witherspoon is 22 and will turn 23 in December.  

Edited by Just Want A Title

IMO, The draft will go:

1. Carolina Panthers- CJ Stroud

2. Houston Texans- Bryce Young

3. Tennessee Titans- Anthony Richardson

4. Indianapolis Colts- Will Levis

5. Seattle Seahawks- Will Anderson

6. Detroit Lions- Jalen Carter

Based on rumors right now:

1. Carolina Panthers- Bryce Young

2. Houston Texans- Will Anderson

3. Arizona trades down?- QB Stroud or Richardson

4. Indianapolis Colts- Richardson or Levis

5. Seattle Seahawks- Jalen Carter with Anderson gone

6. Detroit Lions- One of 14 players, most popular choice is Devon Witherspoon according to betting odds. 

15 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Question: Say Stroud is available at #6, do we draft him?

3. Team trades up- Anthony Richardson

5. Seattle Seahawks- Jalen Carter

6. Detroit Lions- ??????????????????

I think you have to take him.

23 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

IMO, The draft will go:

1. Carolina Panthers- CJ Stroud

2. Houston Texans- Bryce Young

3. Tennessee Titans- Anthony Richardson

5. Seattle Seahawks- Will Anderson

6. Detroit Lions- Jalen Carter

Based on rumors right now:

3. Arizona trades down?- QB Stroud or Richardson

4. Indianapolis Colts- Richardson or Levis

5. Seattle Seahawks- Jalen Carter with Anderson gone

6. Detroit Lions- One of 14 players, most popular choice is Devon Witherspoon according to betting odds. 

Young to Panthers seems pretty locked in at this point, at the very least it seems Stroud has gotten the impression it isn’t him there taking.  

I think the Witherspoon betting line is a direct effect of betting apps and Witherspoon seeming to be a bit of a local fan favorite to be the pick.  Metro Detroit is throwing a little change on the guy they like.  

As far as Stroud at 6 it’s probably not what I would want but id understood it.  

Edited by BigC421/