2023 Draft Rumors - Smoke or Fire?

Just Want A Title

Things start to get crazy in the run-up to the draft with respect to draft rumors.  Some of it is legit.  Some of it is teams trying to "control" the draft board.  I saw a couple over the last week that really stick out:

1.  The Texans aren't enamored with CJ Stoud and would take a non-QB--Their QB situation is not good.  This was followed up by a short article about how CJ Stroud "isn't the easiest guy to coach.  This seems like smoke

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/04/14/michael-lombardi-calls-out-ohio-state-cj-stroud-ahead-of-nfl-draft/70114397007/

2.  The Lions would take Lukas Van Ness at 6--Lukas Van Ness is exactly the type of player the Lions would like to draft but 6 seems a little high but might have a trade-back deal set up.  50/50 smoke and fire.

3.  Trent Simpson falling to the third round--I know off-the-ball LBs have been de-valued but that makes no sense to me.  He should not be falling out of the 2d round unless there is some kind of injury or character concern.  100% smoke on this one

What rumors have everyone else been tracking?  Thoughts

I'll be shocked if the Texans and Colts don't take a QB. I get the thought behind building up everything else first, but front offices and coaches also have jobs that are on the line. Tanking for a QB sounds good until that QB gets hurt, or next year's class doesn't live up to the promise, or you win too many games and aren't in position to draft one...or you lose too many games and everyone gets fired. Almost everyone in the NFL is constantly fighting for their jobs. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Things start to get crazy in the run-up to the draft with respect to draft rumors.  Some of it is legit.  Some of it is teams trying to "control" the draft board.  I saw a couple over the last week that really stick out:

1.  The Texans aren't enamored with CJ Stoud and would take a non-QB--Their QB situation is not good.  This was followed up by a short article about how CJ Stroud "isn't the easiest guy to coach.  This seems like smoke

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nfl/2023/04/14/michael-lombardi-calls-out-ohio-state-cj-stroud-ahead-of-nfl-draft/70114397007/

2.  The Lions would take Lukas Van Ness at 6--Lukas Van Ness is exactly the type of player the Lions would like to draft but 6 seems a little high but might have a trade-back deal set up.  50/50 smoke and fire.

3.  Trent Simpson falling to the third round--I know off-the-ball LBs have been de-valued but that makes no sense to me.  He should not be falling out of the 2d round unless there is some kind of injury or character concern.  100% smoke on this one

What rumors have everyone else been tracking?  Thoughts

I think the lack of top end LB prospects in this draft keep Simpson in the second but I think he's an end of the 2nd top of the 3rd type guy from what I've seen.  I wasn't too impressed when I watched him.

I could see the Texans passing on QB for Anderson if they love him and don't have high grades on the QBs.  I definitely wouldn't attach my future to Levis or Richardson working out.

Speaking of those two I wouldn't doubt if the Levis Richardson hype is partially media created.  I could see them going high but I could also see them falling to outside of the top 10 or to the end of round one.

20 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

It seems like over the last day or two that has been a lot of media chatter about CJ Stroud's draft stock falling a little bit.  I suspect the Colts or Seahawks would be thrilled to see him drop to them.  If he dropped to #6 and were selected by the Lions that would be pretty amazing.

If he falls to 3 I think the Lions will inquire about trading up for him.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

If he falls to 3 I think the Lions will inquire about trading up for him.

The Lions have played their hand close to the vest on trading up from #6.  I have to give credit to Brad Holmes for putting the Lions in a position to do just about anything the want/need to do in this draft.  If the Lions were able to move up to get him that would be a great situation also.

The other player that is linked with a Lions trade is Will Anderson.  Is he a very good prospect? Yes.  Is he elite?  It is harder to say yes on that.  If he plays as an OLB in a 3-4 he will be very good.  I don't know if he is as good a fit for a 4-X defense.

I think Jalen Carter goes top 10 forsure. His pro day review got out of hand. he was keeping up with nolan smith lmaooooooooo....idk what other people were watching. what dline is gonna be running sprints anyway. I want Carter, Will, or Witherspoon. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure 2 and 3 really qualify as “rumors” , sound more like random opinions. I haven’t herd a single rumor connecting Van NES to the Lions outside of typical due diligence.  I don’t see Carter falling out of the top 10.  One of the most wide open drafts I can ever remember. So many guys that feel like they could go as high as top 10 or fall to the end of round 1 if not even the early 2nd. It’s not even major differences of opinions as much as personal preference. Outside of positional value and QB’s aside there isn’t a lot of please not him takes from people on any of these guys. 

My gut (more likely hope) tells me Brad finds away to come away with Nolan Smith and Kancey next Thursday. Personal bias I’m higher on them than most but they just seem to check all the boxes there looking for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

I think Jalen Carter goes top 10 forsure. His pro day review got out of hand. he was keeping up with nolan smith lmaooooooooo....idk what other people were watching. what dline is gonna be running sprints anyway. I want Carter, Will, or Witherspoon. 

Something to consider:   "He also showed up to his pro day out of shape and couldn't complete on-field drills after opting not to do the other testing."

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/meet-the-prospect-jalen-carter-2023-nfl-draft

11 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

My #1 100% smoke rumor--Jalen Carter still going in the top 10.  I think his agent is trying to convince people that there is real interest and that teams are willing to overlook his pro day and character concerns.  I don't think it happens unless the Cowboys trade up for him.

I think he's just too good to slip out of the top 10. He could easily go to the Eagles at 10 if he would drop. 

Will Levis dropping out of Top 10 (I've seen him projected at #11 to the Titans). 

There will be teams that are looking at Caleb Williams and Drake Maye next year as "their guys" and not wanting to take a guy or play too well to put themselves out of the running. Baltimore, Atlanta, Green Bay, Denver, Tampa Bay and Washington all feel like teams that could have their eye on 2024 with the potential to have a down year in 2023. 

16 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Something to consider:   "He also showed up to his pro day out of shape and couldn't complete on-field drills after opting not to do the other testing."

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/meet-the-prospect-jalen-carter-2023-nfl-draft

I think that there will be teams who look at his legal situation and how it probably impacted his pre-draft prep. There are also going to be coaches who believe that they can coach him up and get the best out of the player (somewhat egotistical). A team like the Eagles that has a strong coaching staff and a recent history of success (stability) can take a risk on a guy many consider to be the 1st or 2nd most talented player in the whole draft. If the Lions feel like his character stuff is deeper than what we know of, then I don't know if we can afford that risk at 6.