Players You Like: WR

LETSGOBROWNIES

7 hours ago, MWil23 said:

If Watson can't get it done with that, it would be on him at that point.

This went into my thought process as well. Berry and Stef will want to give Watson as much help as humanly possible to see if he’s the guy or not.

They might be giving Schwartz an “out” by saying “this is his first year putting his scheme in blah blah blah.” So they might not address defense with the early picks.

I also expect Berry to trade that other 3rd round for future draft picks. I’d look at Philly as a potential trade partner. Carolina has a lot of 2024 picks too.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This went into my thought process as well. Berry and Stef will want to give Watson as much help as humanly possible to see if he’s the guy or not.

They might be giving Schwartz an “out” by saying “this is his first year putting his scheme in blah blah blah.” So they might not address defense with the early picks.

I also expect Berry to trade that other 3rd round for future draft picks. I’d look at Philly as a potential trade partner. Carolina has a lot of 2024 picks too.

If we stay put I’ll be shocked in all seriousness.

If we need more WRs to make Deshaun Watson good, we might as well just pack it in, boys. He’s either gonna elevate those guys or he isn’t. If it’s the latter, we are doomed for 5 more years, plain & simple.

I think we should stay put and remake the WR room next off-season. This is a terrible draft/FA for WRs. Pretty much guaranteed that a WR will never be BPA when we are on the clock.

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

If we need more WRs to make Deshaun Watson good, we might as well just pack it in, boys. He’s either gonna elevate those guys or he isn’t. If it’s the latter, we are doomed for 5 more years, plain & simple.

Not really

Polian used to draft WRs and TEs for Manning all the time. Before the Packers became stupid, they did draft a ton of WRs for Rodgers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Not really

Polian used to draft WRs and TEs for Manning all the time. Before the Packers became stupid, they did draft a ton of WRs for Rodgers.

Every team drafts wide receivers and we should too.

Now, we don’t need to spend every top pick on one and Watson needs to maximize the production of what he’s given, but all good teams invest high picks or notable cash in the position.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And honestly, players we draft this year aren’t necessarily brought in for this year.

You can argue we’re ok at WR for ‘23, but we definitely aren’t for say ‘25 and that’s when some of these guys make make an impact.

But that goes back to the point of why is this front office/coaching staff worrying about drafting a WR to groom for down the line. If they dont perform this year, there is a high chance there is a house cleaning. Jimmy needs to pin it on somebody and if the Browns just got drug for the last 2 years for getting Watson just to watch the team **** the bed, then he will make sure heads roll.

Might as well just go for broke and trade a 3rd/4th for Hopkins and do some cap gymnastics to fit his salary in for this year.

I dont hear nearly enough about the Browns being linked to Hopkins for how much it makes sense. If my job is on the line and need to beat Cin/Bal to get out of the division, I wouldnt feel comfortable relying on Peoples-Jones every single week 

Edited by AkronsWitness

9 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Not really

Yeah those teams would draft WRs that were good and matched value. If this was a good WR class, sure. But it’s a horrible class…probably the worst I have seen in my lifetime. And we aren’t picking until R3, so really the guys taken there would be R5 talents in most drafts.

I would much rather patch up the DL depth and find an impactful linebacker with those picks rather than take another mid-round WR in a class full of junk. 

11 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah those teams would draft WRs that were good and matched value. If this was a good WR class, sure. But it’s a horrible class…probably the worst I have seen in my lifetime. And we aren’t picking until R3, so really the guys taken there would be R5 talents in most drafts.

I would much rather patch up the DL depth and find an impactful linebacker with those picks rather than take another mid-round WR in a class full of junk. 

It’s a bad class for sure, but there are dudes who can play.

In R3 and beyond you’re not getting a complete WR prospect without flaws in any draft. All we need is for the players we take to have a skill/ability that adds a dynamic to our team we either don’t have or don’t have enough of and that ability is ready day 1.

At WR a guy like Mims has the vertical ability we’ve lacked and can consistently provide a threat over the top.

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

But that goes back to the point of why is this front office/coaching staff worrying about drafting a WR to groom for down the line. If they dont perform this year, there is a high chance there is a house cleaning. Jimmy needs to pin it on somebody and if the Browns just got drug for the last 2 years for getting Watson just to watch the team **** the bed, then he will make sure heads roll.

Might as well just go for broke and trade a 3rd/4th for Hopkins and do some cap gymnastics to fit his salary in for this year.

I dont hear nearly enough about the Browns being linked to Hopkins for how much it makes sense. If my job is on the line and need to beat Cin/Bal to get out of the division, I wouldnt feel comfortable relying on Peoples-Jones every single week 

Man, you could have saved us all some time and just typed “bog standard Browns fan feels roster is  inadequate unless there’s a pro bowler or 1st rounder at every position”.

Berry's presser gave us insight.

The TL;DR version:

The draft is for adding BPA talent long term/developmental down the road while hoping they can contribute immediately.

Free Agency is for addressing needs now and filling roster holes.

TBH, I agree with Berry on this, I just disagree with his philosophy on how he evaluates talent/players or decides to be a bit of a gunslinger with draft picks and contracts.

• Like 1