The Current Regime's Obsession with Senior Bowl Players

MKnight82

https://www.hogshaven.com/2023/4/21/23692101/in-2022-washington-commanders-drafted-heavily-from-the-senior-bowl-will-they-do-it-again-nfl 

2022 Washington Draft Picks:

• Round 1 • Pick 16 • WR Jahan Dotson
  • Round 2 • Pick 15 • DT Phidarian Mathis
  • Round 3 • Pick 34 • RB Brian Robinson
  • Round 4 • Pick 8 • SAF Percy Butler
  • Round 5 • Pick 1 • QB Sam Howell
  • Round 5 • Pick 6 • TE Cole Turner
  • Round 7 • Pick 9 • G Chris Paul
  • Round 7 • Pick 19 • CB Christian Holmes

Taken off waivers:

• Tariq Castro-Fields, Penn State (CB)
  • John Ridgeway, Arkansas (DT)

All but two players we added last year played in the Senior Bowl. 2021 looked like this: 

2021 Washington Draft Picks:

• Round 1, pick 19 – Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky
  • Round 2, pick 51 – Samuel Cosmi, OT, Texas
  • Round 3, pick 74 – Benjamin St-Juste, CB, Minnesota
  • Round 3, pick 82 – Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina
  • Round 4, pick 124 – John Bates, TE, Boise State
  • Round 5, pick 163 – Darrick Forrest, S, Cincinnati
  • Round 6, pick 225 (from PHI) – Camaron Cheeseman, LS, Michigan
  • Round 7, pick 240 (From SF through PHI) – William Bradley-King, DE, Baylor
  • Round 7, pick 246 – Shaka Toney, DE, Penn State
  • Round 7, pick 258 (from KC through MIA) – Dax Milne, WR, BYU

Half of the players came from the Senior Bowl in 2021 as well.  This year we've apparently sent a crapload of coaches to scout the Senior Bowl.  I find this to be a very odd way of building a team. We have full time scouts looking at players all year but yet basically only draft players from this one event? This to me reeks of Rivera not trusting his scouts but instead his coaches with player evaluation.  Limiting yourself to only Seniors also probably gets you a lot of high floor players but not a lot of superstars (which we need). 

• Like 3

Yeah Rivera hasn't been a great drafter. I'm not sure why anyone has been impressed. From all my research, there's a difference in talent between Juniors and Seniors in rounds 1-3. Juniors average out Highers in Round 1 and Round 3. Round 2 is almost even with a slight edge to Juniors. 

• Like 1

It's an interesting situation.  On the one hand I think the senior bowl can show a lot.  It puts these players in a foreign environment working with NFL coaches, a different set of team mates and likely making the players operate in a manner that is often different than they are used to.   But I also agree that the numbers seem a bit outsized.  

I do think there have been times some of our coaching staffs have actually coached at the senior bowl and that can give you an eye opening view on some of the players.

If I had to guess, I would bet we draft one of the oline there of in this order of likelyhood: Steen, McClendon, or Torrence

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Yeah Rivera hasn't been a great drafter. I'm not sure why anyone has been impressed. From all my research, there's a difference in talent between Juniors and Seniors in rounds 1-3. Juniors average out Highers in Round 1 and Round 3. Round 2 is almost even with a slight edge to Juniors. 

They haven’t been bad at drafting either.

In 2020 they got 3 starters, a top back up & a top special teams players 

In 2021 they got 4 starters & maybe 5 if Cosmi wins the starting RG spot

In 2022 they got 3 starters, a top back up & 2 top special teams players 

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

They haven’t been bad at drafting either.

In 2020 they got 3 starters, a top back up & a top special teams players 

In 2021 they got 4 starters & maybe 5 if Cosmi wins the starting RG spot

In 2022 they got 3 starters, a top back up & 2 top special teams players 

That can be impressive to you, but not to me. 

Ron is still paying the price for the Chase Young pick and he's gonna do everything to justify it this year by drafting a CB to get a couple coverage sacks. 

7 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Ron is still paying the price for the Chase Young pick and he's gonna do everything to justify it this year by drafting a CB to get a couple coverage sacks. 

It’s hindsight to act like Chase was a bad draft pick bc Herbert has exceeded everyone in the world’s expectations. We also have no clue what Chase will do this year & beyond that he was one draft pick. Overall they’ve hit on a lot of picks.

11 hours ago, taylor made said:

They’re targeting a CB because Fuller is in the last year of his deal and St Juste can’t stay on the field.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It’s hindsight to act like Chase was a bad draft pick bc Herbert has exceeded everyone in the world’s expectations. We also have no clue what Chase will do this year & beyond that he was one draft pick. Overall they’ve hit on a lot of picks.

It was the right pick. Dwayne had just finished the season playing well and appearing to develop so we thought we had our guy but Rivera inexplicably fired KOC to bring in Norv's kid. In hindsight I'd love to have Herbert but so would all the other teams who passed on him with the exception of the Bengals. Same goes for Mahomes, Allen and any other great QB not picked first overall. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It was the right pick. Dwayne had just finished the season playing well and appearing to develop so we thought we had our guy but Rivera inexplicably fired KOC to bring in Norv's kid. In hindsight I'd love to have Herbert but so would all the other teams who passed on him with the exception of the Bengals. Same goes for Mahomes, Allen and any other great QB not picked first overall. 

Trade down was the move - if they could have found a dance partner. Over-rated, overdrafted .

On 4/25/2023 at 9:52 AM, RSkinGM said:

Trade down was the move - if they could have found a dance partner. Over-rated, overdrafted .

Some fans were talking about that but that certainly wasn’t the consensus of almost all football reporters etc & the reports they were getting from scouts & GMs as well. Almost everyone buy a few thought Chase should be the pick.