2023 NFL Draft Day Thread

textaz03

12 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

You’ve come around sincerely? 

I’m fine with Mazi as a player. The draft as a whole… I think it’s still a pretty tough pill to swallow. I wanted offense offense offense. But 3 of the first 4 picks are defense. And I feel like we used our premium picks on positions that generally don’t have early round value. Run stuffing NT, TE, and off ball LB. I’m out on Schoonmaker in round 2. Mazi I can talk myself into but would have probably gone Joey Porter Jr if the board was like that. 

1. Porter Jr.

2. Ocyrus Torrence 

3. Darnell Washington 

4. Aidan Oconnell

Is what should have happened imo, but I do think Mazi Smith is a good NT prospect. 

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:19 AM, DaBoys said:

I’m fine with Mazi as a player. The draft as a whole… I think it’s still a pretty tough pill to swallow. I wanted offense offense offense. But 3 of the first 4 picks are defense. And I feel like we used our premium picks on positions that generally don’t have early round value. Run stuffing NT, TE, and off ball LB. I’m out on Schoonmaker in round 2. Mazi I can talk myself into but would have probably gone Joey Porter Jr if the board was like that. 

1. Porter Jr.

2. Ocyrus Torrence 

3. Darnell Washington 

4. Aidan Oconnell

Is what should have happened imo, but I do think Mazi Smith is a good NT prospect. 

I agree with this. You were just very anti-Mazi in the moment.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 8:19 AM, DaBoys said:

1. Porter Jr.

2. Ocyrus Torrence 

3. Darnell Washington 

4. Aidan Oconnell

I hated the Mazi pick as well, and I still think they wanted Kincaid (no matter how much they deny it). According to Cowboys media,  the 1st pick came down to either Mazi or Bergeron. In that scenario, I think you have to go with Mazi.

Totally agree about Torrence in the 2nd. He was there and so was Drew Sanders. I have no idea how Schoonmaker on their board is rated above these 2. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I agree with this. You were just very anti-Mazi in the moment.

Yeah… I just wanted offense there in that moment. But the board wasn’t falling my way and looking back it isn’t a horrible pick. I’ve been saying since January that the BPA at our pick is most likely to be a CB. I feel like Porter was the BPA there, and plays a more important position. I’m also still sour that Mazi didn’t participate an any athletic testing. My stock on Mazi had been going downhill since the combine. But early February I was all over it. 

7 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Yeah… I just wanted offense there in that moment. But the board wasn’t falling my way and looking back it isn’t a horrible pick. I’ve been saying since January that the BPA at our pick is most likely to be a CB. I feel like Porter was the BPA there, and plays a more important position. I’m also still sour that Mazi didn’t participate an any athletic testing. My stock on Mazi had been going downhill since the combine. But early February I was all over it. 

Agree on all of this.

And Dallas would agree that JPJ was BPA, he was reportedly the last 1st round grade on our board.

• 4 months later...
On 5/6/2023 at 11:19 AM, DaBoys said:

1. Porter Jr.

2. Ocyrus Torrence 

3. Darnell Washington 

4. Aidan Oconnell

Porter Jr. would have been absolute icing. Sure, he might not have been at the top of the depth chart with Diggs, Gilmore, Bland...but he could have likely would have pushed Lewis out of the fold, challenged Bland for his role, and been perfect help when Diggs went down. Kid is looking like a hell of a player.

Mazi and Schoon are what happens when you go into a draft thinking "these are our biggest needs" instead of "let's add the best damn players we can'

• Like 1

But for the record, Mazi has played notably better. I will not say he has played good. He hasn't. But he is getting off the ball better instead of like a fat, lazy Albert Haynesworth. And he has actually moved some people off the line.

But overall, I still think we could get that same effort and potential from kids later in the draft and selected a simply and purely better football player than Mazi in round one, and for sure a better football player than Schoon in round two. In fact I believe one of the Guards we debated in round 1 was still available in round 2 when we were back on the clock. In all sensibility that should have been the selection immediately. But nope, we "needed" a TE and selected one from the leftovers.