Round 1, Pick 3: DE/OLB Will Anderson

Texansfan713

Will Anderson Jr: Why the Alabama star is the best player at the 2023 NFL  Draft | NFL News | Sky Sports

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/will-anderson-jr./3200414e-4462-7364-511f-d68d330a6780

Overview

Three-year starter for vaunted Alabama program with eye-popping production that encapsulates his potential impact. Anderson is well-built with long arms. He has the rush get-off and skill level to consistently shave edges or pry open rush paths with inside moves. Even when he’s blocked around the arc or on the diagonal, Anderson’s footwork, cornering and closing speed help him dive into the pocket. There is room for more growth with hand usage and he will need to prove he can keep racking up the sack totals outside of Nick Saban’s scheme. Anderson is suited to a 3-4 front, where he can play wider to better allow his length to overcome size deficiencies at the point of attack. His traits, athleticism and production against high-level competition are indicators of a Pro Bowl future.

RIP NFL

55 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It was a really steep price to pay. I wouldn’t plan on us being better than the browns next year but I’m ok with not having any reason to tank. 

I can see us being better than them.  AFC North is no joke and we legit went 3-2-1 in the division being the worst team in the league. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

It was a really steep price to pay. I wouldn’t plan on us being better than the browns next year but I’m ok with not having any reason to tank. 

Yeah, looking at most trade value charts it seems like the Texans "overpaid" quite a bit (basically amounts to an extra 1st or 2nd). 

Got to think the Titans were coming up for AR15 and I would rather have WAJ at the price they paid than allowing the Titans to get their guy.

At the end of the day the Texans need to get blue-chip players, they can't just stockpile picks and kick the can down the road forever, so I'm glad they had the conviction to go get their guy and were willing to pay the price. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

If all the Texans added was Stroud and Anderson - then I’d agree it was a steep price and it could end up being a really valuable pick.

This being said, Stroud is going to have an improved offense in front of him (Robert Woods, Dalton Schultz, Devin Singletary, Shaq Mason, John Metchie) and Will Anderson is going to have bodies like Sheldon Rankins, Denzel Perryman and Jimmie Ward around them. 

The additions this team made? They’re pretty significant, even if there wasn’t any big ticket add-ons. These guys will add to the bottom line on creating a team that can compete - and the hope is that Stroud/Anderson will be the centerpiece on each side of the ball and turn some of those competitive tools we’ve added into Ws.

Like the player, don't like what we gave up.

Every pass rusher except WAJ and Tyree Wilson was available at 12. We just invested the equivalent of 3 1sts in WAJ. Anything short of perennial Pro Bowler isn't going to justify that kind of investment, especially on a team with a mediocre talent level overall.

Be amazing, Will. Be amazing.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Texans02 said:

Like the player, don't like what we gave up.

Every pass rusher except WAJ and Tyree Wilson was available at 12. We just invested the equivalent of 3 1sts in WAJ. Anything short of perennial Pro Bowler isn't going to justify that kind of investment, especially on a team with a mediocre talent level overall.

Be amazing, Will. Be amazing.

If we gave that up to move up to get Stroud no one would bat an eye. We took Stroud 1st at 2 because we couldn’t afford to go WAJ then have someone else outbid us for 3. It is what it is, I applaud them for making the move and can live it it whether is pans out or not

• Like 3