1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

On 4/28/2023 at 3:07 PM, Captain Relax said:

Does anyone know why Addison left Pitt (where he won the Blitnikoff award) for USC? Did it have to do with Pickett being drafted?

It’s been answered but in no way or doubt it was the money. Life changing money. The NIL deals Southern California can put together is probably one of the highest, if not the highest,  in the nation. Not that he’s a bad kid, but his QB (Kenny Pickett) left to go to the NFL also so I’m sure a year before he was going to go to the NFL he wanted to be in a good situation with a good QB also. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

It’s been answered but in no way or doubt it was the money. Life changing money. The NIL deals Southern California can put together is probably one of the highest, if not the highest,  in the nation. 

So college kids can get paid now? How much? 

5 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

So college kids can get paid now? How much? 

NIL = Name, Image, Likeness.

College athletes earned an estimated $917 million in the first year of Name Image and Likeness (NIL) payments, which began in July 2021, according to new data from Opendorse.

Opendorse, which provides technology to the athlete endorsement industry, projects the NIL market will produce $1.14 billion in NCAA athlete compensation over the next 12 months.

https://news.yahoo.com/nil-heres-how-much-ncaa-athletes-earned-185901941.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF8k4L5G1_jSzVSxCgn-I6uSw-H2GsuSpnbHAh6Ld99Y8-jECVOGbeudKGRYG1l2gMmK7QAbGKoV7zECbikK5sMleecaN_FGvTuDNREzdKdaNv0G5Ow_rGgyinmQ3x0-GOwzTgiyL1woj3NlsyBqjz-QITRMCD5O0v5ryRSsQCVv

• Like 2

The Minnesota Vikings' draft room grew tense Thursday night as the clock ticked on the No. 23 overall pick. One player in particular was still available -- a wide receiver the Vikings' decision-makers had agreed was so talented and likely to make an immediate impact that only a massive ransom should prompt them to trade out from an opportunity to draft him.

And yet here was general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah standing in the middle of the room, listening to trade offers while holding off on submitting the pick everyone wanted: USC receiver Jordan Addison.

The episode was the most revealing moment of the Vikings' draft weekend, not only because it illuminated Adofo-Mensah's process but also because it provided a glimpse into how the organization viewed its roster. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/32414/why-the-vikings-had-to-have-first-rounder-jordan-addison

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

that made sense as why they let the clock tick down to almost time expiration. They knew Addison was basically the last impact guy they had left graded on their board and wanted to see if a team would come to them with a huge package to trade out.

I'm sure they got offers (jax immediately traded out the pick after them), but not enough to justify passing on what coach KO says, "a day 1 starter."

I think they made the right decision. The WR took a giant cliff dive by the time pick 87 rolled around. My favorite player wr left for them was Tyler Scott; whom is like Kmart Jordan Addison. But there were still plenty of CBs left for them to choose from.

I guess they could have traded up to 79 for Josh Downs. But Downs is strictly a slot.

Edited by battle2heaven
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Well, since they did it. I'm sure he was on board.

He could have been Ok with it but still preferred to sit and take the WR. In the end it would be Kwesi's call.  It seemed like O'Connell was glad that he didn't trade back this time

25 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Well, since they did it. I'm sure he was on board.

Would like to think for the first pick there is much more collaboration between HC and GM whereas later in the draft the GM takes over in regards to moving up and down the draft. Can’t imagine Kwesi is making moves with the top pick that O’Connell isn’t getting behind. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, Heimdallr said:

Is it crazy to think that Addison might be a OROY frontrunner (minus the QBs)?  He is going to be open all year with JJ and Hock drawing coverage, and he seems like the perfect WR for Kirk. If he starts all year I could see him getting 70+ catches

These "experts" stealing my 4-day-old takes

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

These "experts" stealing my 4-day-old takes

when you have 2 rbs drafted in the 1st round, along with 3 other QBs, i think it's way tough to win OROY.

That said, I expect Addison to be awesome and for all of us to love him so it doesn't matter lol.

• Like 1