1.23 - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - #3

SemperFeist

9 minutes ago, Sad People said:

Call me crazy but after watching some of his break downs on YT and he reminds me of JJ. 

I dont think thats entirely crazy. Obviously people are going to argue immediately about the size differences, but its not as if Jefferson is some 6'3+ 220lbs receiver either. I can also separate the fact you're likely talking simply about how he plays the game rather than direct size comparisons.

I think Stefon Diggs, Calvin Ridley and Marvin Harrison are all pretty good comps as well. All of them (including Jefferson) use their precise route running and ability to turn on a dime to create separation and leave defenders looking silly at times trying to cover them, along with an uncanny ability to adjust to the ball and make difficult catches (sidelines, under throws, endzone and such). None were necessarily known as flat out burners who routinely beat DBs with straight speed, but rather great routes and setups to allow them to beat defenders over the top at times, along with a surprising ability to run faster than maybe they time on the stopwatch when the ball is in their hands.

Despite his smaller stature, I think you can see he plays bigger than his size when it comes to jump balls, his overall catch radius, taking hits over the middle and his ability to shed arm tackles and maintain balance when guys tie up his legs on tackle attempts.

I'm of the opinion they stuck put at 23 and took Addison because he was their clear BPA and believed that any trade down would've likely resulted in him being drafted before the pick(s) they received in return. Corner still has some solid day 2 depth (and I also think the Vikings still have faith in Booth/Evans who were just drafted last year), DE is kind of log jammed on the roster too if they dont move Z. Smith or Hunter so that isnt as much of a need... and QB is one I think they are acknowledging that the rest of the league didnt view Levis or Hooker as 1st round guys and could likely wait until day 2/3 to make any potential move for them (and I'd not be shocked if they have guys like Tanner McKee or DTR rated highly in comparison and are willing to take them instead at a lesser cost).

• Like 4

Why were the other three receivers taken above Addison? The logical assumption is that athletic testing had a lot to do with it. Addison is undersized at 5'11", 171 pounds, ran a 4.49 at the combine, and none of his scores on the other drills were elite (though his short shuttle and broad jump were at least good). The total product is a 5.94 Relative Athletic Score, which is above average but nothing to write home about. For comparison, each of Smith-Njigba, Johnston, and Flowers have an RAS between 8.29 and 8.69. That, at least to some extent, probably explains why they went ahead of Addison.

But that doesn't mean the Vikings got the fourth-best receiver in this draft class. Addison is a refined wideout who shines as a route-runner and separator. He has the quickness and acceleration to get in and out of his breaks effectively, and he understands how to use spacing and leverage to win against both man and zone coverage.

Addison racked up 1,593 yards and 17 touchdowns in his sophomore season at Pitt in 2021, winning the Biletnikoff Award as the top receiver in college football. He then transferred to USC and remained productive with 875 yards and 8 touchdowns in 11 games, even while dealing with an ankle injury down the stretch. Addison earned the highest production score, per Next Gen Stats, among receivers in this draft class.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/three-thoughts-vikings-selecting-usc-wr-jordan-addison-23

Kirk Cousins: "I think that he is a natural wide receiver. I've played with some guys throughout the years who were great athletes, they could run well, they could jump well, but playing the position of wide receiver just didn't come naturally to them. And you'll always want that natural receiver over a great athlete — not to say he isn't a great athlete. But a guy who can attack the football with great hands, adjust to ball well, run great routes, that's pretty exciting to be able to get that kind of polish right away when he shows up for OTAs."

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/three-thoughts-vikings-selecting-usc-wr-jordan-addison-23

NFL Draft grade: A

"He is my favorite receiver in this class. He will be a perfect complement to Justin Jefferson, He is a great route runner. Needs to get a little bigger since he weighs 175 pounds, but that will happen." -- Pete Prisco

Scouting report

Jordan Addison is an advanced, dynamic wideout with outside and inside experience and a complete game. He's smaller and skinnier in stature and not a super twitched up, hyper athlete, but he gets the most out of his athletic gifts with sharp breaks in his routes. He battles through contact in the route and gets North-South in a hurry. His speed looks like a clear positive to his game, and he will threaten most CBs in the NFL. Not a true burner, though, and not a contested-catch guy because of his smaller frame/catch radius, but his hands are rock solid. His ball-tracking is very good, and he can run a variety of routes. Overall, he's a high-floor, somewhat-high-upside WR who should move the needle early in his NFL career.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-nfl-draft-grades-vikings-pick-jordan-addison-at-no-23-add-ideal-wr-to-complement-justin-jefferson/

I like the pick. He is the best route runner in the group with really good hands. That what you want in a WR. I’ll take it. I believe we will have the best WR core in the league this year. That also includes Hockenson. It will be a great trio…. Excited to see them play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I feel like Addison might make Reagor expendable. (and no, I don't have any insider information. This is a football forum)

JJ/Osborn/Addison/Nailor is a nice group. Just needs to be rounded out with a late round/UDFA type.

I think Reogor makes Reagor expendable

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

It hasn't been a year....

Thus why I said it could Easily change, but who is that "Star" player so far that they drafted? Or even looks to be so far.  I do think a couple players will take steps but they just haven't yet. But like you said it hasn't even been a year so why are we giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to WR when they havent proven they can even identify a star at any position, yet.

Edited by Boda

The WRs in this class drops off a giant cliff after WR4-5ish. The CBs are like 13-15 deep for starters. It makes sense to get a guy you think can be a legit dawg in the nfl at the receiver spot because

1. JJ is going to get paid

2. Osborn and Reagor are FAs after 2023

3. Only depth after that is Nailor

This way, you are guaranteed a high end WR room for the present AND the future when they decide on whomever is the QBOTF. That QB will inherit an offense of

Justin Jefferson

Jordan Addison

TJ Hockenson

Christian Darrisaw

Brian Oneill

You really cant ask for a better foundation for a young QB; whoever they decide that will be.

• Like 7

Interesting pick, I was surprised it wasn't Banks or Joey Porter Jr. That said, it sounds like he's a complimentary WR to Jefferson and should be the type of precise route runner that Cousins bonds with fairly quickly. So I don't mind that pick at all. The defensive need just seemed larger to me at CB. Though, hard to know thoughts on the team of the CB situation, how much they like Booth and Evans, which might make a big difference as well. So I won't complain about making sure the offense is still good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

McCardell has had influence on the draft in the past, and has coached up players across multiple regimes. Justin Jefferson just had the best season in the league and was challenging multiple all time records.

This regime knows what it wants the passing game to look like and what is required to get there.

Do they though?  I'll give you McCardell but he isn't making the decisions.  Im not hating on Addison as I liked him I just didn't expect certain players to still be available so the pick stings a little bit.  JJ was always going to have his best season he was the sole guy, just like I expect JJ to have an even better season this next year, also that 17th game really helps when chasing multiple all time records